Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I delete a device from my hub?

Digsy
Grafter
Fixes: 1

How do I delete a device from my hub?

I recently had the same problem occur on three devices in the space of a few days.

I had two Amazon Echoes suddenly revert to their default network names, and I want to change them back to "sensible" names on my router.

I had a NAS drive go down, and I want to rename my new NAS to the same name as the old one.

In all three cases my hub tells me that "Home network name already exists in Plusnet Hub's database." altough it does seem to let me change the name.

OK so, great. How do I remove it? It seems I can only delete a device if it is actually connected, which is now impossible in all of the above cases.

6 REPLIES 6
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Re: How do I delete a device from my hub?

@Digsy 

which hub are you using?

Digsy
Grafter

Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.289.1.3 | Last updated 07/12/21

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

If you go to Advanced Settings >Home Network > DHCP Table it should be possible to delete the device after it is turned off, but if you restart the device it will re appear once it has been issued a IP Address also with it's default hostname.

It might be possible to stop this happening by giving the devices a fixed IP Address in it's setup. (Some devices do not allow this). Use an IP Address outside the DHCP range so any one between 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.63, mask will be 255.255.255.0 with the gateway being 192.168.1.254. The Hub One was known not to show fixed IP Address devices outside of the DHCP range.

However, from experience sometimes the Hub One DHCP can get confused, so as a starting point I would try turning it off and on first.

If that does not work I would suggest a factory reset which will delete the current DHCP table.

Do not restore any backup you may have as this would only return the device to it's confused state

HTH 

Digsy
Grafter

Thanks for the reply but that's the problem right there in your first sentence: The dead devices no longer appear in the DHCP table or in the visual map of devices once they become disconnected, but the hub still remembers their details. So you have no way to select the device to say "this doesn't exist anymore, please delete it".

I'm not going to reset the hub and lose all my port forwarding settings unless it becomes absolutely essential. I will try turning it off and on again later to see if it makes a difference.

This seems like a bit of a daft firmware bug to me.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

Just recalled it is possible to delete hidden device, but it is very time consuming.

Navigate to Advanced Settings > Home Network > DHCP table

If you hover over any wired/wireless devices (not USB), you'll see a popup with the name, MAC address and IP. Drag it up to the bookmarks bar until you see the + sign to save it as a bookmark.

Once you've saved a bookmark, you can edit it. Change the 2 digits after br0%2F and before the ..', 1) e.g. javascript:mimic_button('device: br0%2F68..', 1) or javascript:mimic_button('device: br0%2F69..', 1)

javascript:mimic_button('device: br0%2F3..', 1) 

So with the DHCP table in view open the link above in another tab, edit the 1 to 2 and hit return key, 

Not every number will correspond to a valid device, so you might get some that won't work, but you should find the devices that has connected at some point.

I found the number can be anything from 1 to 99, if I remember correctly  it is important the DHCP table is always open in a tab for this to work

HTH

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Digsy wrote:

I had two Amazon Echoes suddenly revert to their default network names, and I want to change them back to "sensible" names on my router.

In all three cases my hub tells me that "Home network name already exists in Plusnet Hub's database." although it does seem to let me change the name.

Is it possible that this is down to the Echoes having change the Wi-Fi band they connect with?  Tough you perceive them to be the same, 2.4GHz and 5GHz connections will have different MAC addresses and DHCP naming uniqueness works on MAC addresses.  You might have other issues to consider if this is related to Wi-Fi band hopping.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.