cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guest wi-fi network

GerardLKIng
Dabbler

Guest wi-fi network

We have had Plusnet at our home for sometime; now we want to install business Plusnet at our church in Nelson, Lancashire. How will we be able to setup a 'Guest' wi-fi network, that will allow limited internet access to visitors? Is it stright forward with Plusnet router/hub?

5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Guest wi-fi network

Sorry but this is beyond the capability of Plusnet hubs. You need to buy your own router with guest network capability. If you're on a budget then having identified a suitable router (no doubt others will come along with their recommendations) it's worth seeing what's available on Ebay. If you are on standard broadband (not fibre) I would recommend an Asus N55U available from Ebay very cheaply. These have very easy to set up guest network capability on both 2.4 and 5GHz bands.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note.

Moved to my router from broadband help
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @GerardLKIng 

Whilst our Hub One does not have a designed "Guest WiFi" feature, you are able to split the SSID allowing the router to broadcast both on 2.4 & 5Ghz. 

You are able to denote a separate password for these two frequencies, therefore creating a rudimentary second network. 

To clarify, I am in no way saying that this will create a designated "Guest Network", and I understand that it will not allow you to perform certain actions which are able to be done on other routers which do have this feature (such as ensuring that the Guest side does not have access to all of the Bandwidth, restricting access to certain websites etc), I am merely thinking (typing?) out loud as it is a topic which I have previously thought about and discussed with colleagues myself. 

There is a previous thread regarding this topic here where others have advised on routers which have this facility, Plusnet as an ISP doesn't require you to use our router - so if you purchase one we will be more than happy to provide you with assistance on setting this up and authenticating it with our network.

Thanks, 

Alisdair  

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@MasterOfReality

The OP posted this originally on the broadband rather than fibre board. Unless this was originally erroneously posted on the wrong board then unless things have changed (your web site says a router that you value at £40) then the freebie router you offer is a single band Hub Zero. Has this changed?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @Baldrick1

This came through to me on the "My Router" board and (unless I have made a huge oversight) upon reading OP's post there was no mention of their router type nor service, and they were asking in regards to a potential new business service?
I do see that is was initially posted on the Broadband board and moved by a mod, however, you are correct!  

As I eluded to in my reply, I was merely voicing a personal thought on this topic, rather than offering a solution (as, sadly, the Guest Network facility is not something available on either our Hub Zero or One). 

Apologies if I did not make the clear! 

In answer to your question, no there has been no changes, we still provide Hub Zero's to ADSL customers and Hub One's to Fibre customers. 

Thanks! 

Alisdair