Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Wifi and Plusnet Hub One

ronniehotdog12
Hooked

Google Wifi and Plusnet Hub One

Hi all,

I’ve just switched to Plusnet and have the Hub 1 router. To eliminate wifi dead spots I’ve been looking to get a mesh system similar to Google wifi. From what I’ve read it’d seem that a seperate modem would be required to replace the Hub 1 as it won’t work in bridge mode.

I think this is correct? If so, could anyone suggest a replacement modem that isn’t too expensive?

Anyone using google wifi with plusnet?

It’s just adsl broadband not fibre. 

Tags (4)
6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Google Wifi and Plusnet Hub One

@ronniehotdog12 

You are quite correct, you cannot use a Hub One in Bridge mode. If it's only better WiFi that you seek you could probably set the Google mesh system to work in Access Point mode and connect that to one of the Hub One LAN ports.

Are you on ADSL? If not I would have expected you to have been sent a Hub 2, which does have Bridge mode.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

ronniehotdog12
Hooked

Thanks for the reply @Baldrick1 

Ah ok, it's mainly better wifi we're looking for as some rooms upstairs don't get anything but I was under the impression it would only work with a different modem?

Yeah, it's just ADSL, Fibre still isn't available at my address unfortunately

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Might not make much of a difference given you're on ADSL, however Google Wi-Fi is pretty long in the tooth now. I wouldn't be surprised if a newer version was launched at some point fairly soonish.

Depending on how bothered you are about future proofing things, you might want to look for a newer set of mesh AP's that have Wi-Fi 6. I'm also not sure the Google units have a web browser interface for configuring things. Might not bother you, but being forced down an app-only route is enough to put me off (and this is coming from a bit of a Google fan boy). 

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

ronniehotdog12
Hooked

@bobpullen  Oh I see, I'd read a few positive reviews for it, all suggesting that it was still worthwhile and figured since I already had the app for other products I might as well go for it. My knowledge is very limited though.

Our broadband is pretty terrible (can't do anything about that until they eventually install fibre) so anything I can do to make it more reliable and receive a strong wifi connection on the second floor of our house is a bonus. I'm not set on the google system, are there any others you'd recommend? Just looked at the TP Link Deco S4 which looks like it might do the job.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Have you completely ruled out running an ethernet cable upstairs? Sticking another access point (or old router) on the end of a cable is probably going to give you better results than a mesh solution.

The Deco is similarly specced to the Google units I think, although you would probably have the benefit of a 'proper' configuration interface.

For another similalrly specced option, you could save a penny or two by looking at some of the refurbed lower-end BT Whole Home discs. There's a pack of three here for ~60 quid.

I don't have much personal experience with mesh devices as I tend to wire access points where I can. If it comes to it though, you could always return the BT discs in the cooling off period if they don't work out for you?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

ksaro1
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@ronniehotdog12 wrote:

it's mainly better wifi we're looking for as some rooms upstairs don't get anything but I was under the impression it would only work with a different modem?

If you're just wanting to extend the wifi coverage to your upstairs then the easiest, cheapest and quickest solution is a wifi extender. You can get them from Amazon/eBay/etc. for from £30-£60. They plug in to a power socket and become an extension of your existing wifi router. You just need to find a suitable power socket that is ideally situated midway between your PN router and your upstairs.