cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring Hub 2 for VOIP service

Banksman
Dabbler

Configuring Hub 2 for VOIP service

Hi all - I've just ordered an upgrade from FTTC to FTTP for my broadband. I know that the phone service will go away, so I'm setting up a third party VOIP service to replace it. I'm not bothered about keeping the number and have got a new one already (from A&A).

However, the setup instructions for the new VOIP service have some very detailed instructions for setting up the firewall - which I think I can just about follow. Not for the faint-hearted!

At the moment I've still got the Plusnet hub One, which seems not to support the necessary firewall configuration options (not even in "advanced"). What really matters, of course, is what I can do with the Hub Two I'll be getting, which hasn't arrived yet.

Is there anyone out there with a Hub Two that has been able to configure firewall rules for a VOIP service? Mainly telling it to accept certain ranges of port connections from specific external IP addresses.

If it won't be possible, then I'll have to buy a new router but I'd rather not do that if I don't have to.

28 REPLIES 28
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: Configuring Hub 2 for VOIP service

hi Banksman and welcome to the community

I've been using VOIP from quite a few different suppliers for a very long time, using a number of different routers (including both the HubOne and HubTwo), and have never needed to set up anything in the firewall for it to work.  The only router setting I think I've ever changed is the SIP ALG which the HubTwo allows you to enable.  I forget if the HubOne has the option or not.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Mainly telling it to accept certain ranges of port connections from specific external IP addresses.

@Banksman I'm pretty sure the Hub 2 doesnt have that facility but as @pjmarsh says it almost certainly isnt necessary in your situation. A & A refer to those settings since its possible for an incoming call (SIP invite) to come from any of their servers. In practice, in a single line situation, the call will come from the server you are registered to. So in normal circumstances , NAT keepalive, will maintain the router firewall open from that server automatically. I actually use A & A in the office but that is a multiline system and does require the firewall rules since it doesnt register to a single server in that configuration, rather it authenticates on the incoming call.

I'd suggest disabling the SIP ALG on the Hub 2 and seeing if the system works (it almost certainly will), since most SIP ALG implementations are broken. The Hub 1 has an active SIP ALg and it cannot be disabled.

TBH in a domestic situation I'd recommend Sipgate basic rather than A & A. They dont charge for an incoming number. A & A's support, however, is second to none.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Banksman
Dabbler

Many thanks for the quick responses. I'm not firmly committed to A&A - I've just spent a couple of quid so far and have time to play around with options. However, looking at my use pattern, they seemed like a much better bet than Sipgate - A&A's per minute rates are a lot lower, and I'm expecting to make a moderate number of calls a month (but not enough to be worth buying a package). I will also be wanting two numbers.

I could just wait until the Hub Two arrives but, from what I've gathered here, its likely to be a bit last minute before the service installation which reduces the time I have to sort any issues out.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

No problem Banksman

Currently, I mainly use Sipgate for incoming calls and LocalPhone for outgoing, though I don't make too many calls on it these days.

From a quick look, Sipgate are a little cheaper than A&A on landline calls during the week, but quite a bit more expensive for mobile calls.  LocalPhone significantly beats them both on both types of calls though.

beeceegee
Pro
Fixes: 4

I have VOIP with A&A. My router is an Archer C3150, which also has very little in the way of firewall customisation. The only option I can see is SIP-ALG which I have unchecked and everything is fine. A&A do have a big rant about NAT and VOIP on their help pages, but in reality chances are it will just work "out of the box"

Only reason I went with A&A over Sipgate was that they didn't ask for the full transfer forms to be completed; oh and the transfer fee was lower and as mentioned call rates to mobiles are cheaper.

Banksman
Dabbler

Thanks again, lots of options to consider.

Back to the original question - have you found any issues configuring the Hub Two, especially with multiple VOIP suppliers? Curious to know how the keep-alive works in that situation.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Swings and roundabouts I guess, yes A&A charge £15 for a transfer whereas Sipgate £30, but at £2 a month service for A&A and 0 for sipgate, that difference vanishes quickly.
Trained the family only to call mobiles from their mobiles Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Currently, I mainly use Sipgate for incoming calls and LocalPhone for outgoing,

Likewise at home. The office uses A & A for incoming and Localphone for outgoing.

However, looking at my use pattern, they seemed like a much better bet than Sipgate - A&A's per minute rates are a lot lower, and I'm expecting to make a moderate number of calls a month (but not enough to be worth buying a package). I will also be wanting two numbers.

@Banksman assuming your voip device can support 2 registrations then there's nothing to stop you having a PAYG Localphone account and an A & A account. Localphone allow you to register a CLI for outgoing, you can register > 1 but would need to select which was to be used.

Banksman
Dabbler

Hello again - yes, there are a lot of options, aren't there!

We make a lot of outgoing calls but the vast majority will be on our mobiles which have unlimited minutes. But we want the "landline" (now VOIP) to cover those odd occasions when the mobile is flat or lost in a drawer, which will definitely happen several times a month. (that's on top of incoming, of course).

I looked at localphone and although I can see they definitely have a place in the market, this isn't it for the simple reason that they don't support 999 calling. If there is an emergency then I need to be able to grab any phone and use it, without faffing. A&A (also Sipgate) handle this, including registering a physical address to the number.

I want two incoming numbers - one for personal, one for business. A&A will do that for me, I'll be using a Gigaset N300 which will handle multiple VOIP connections and multiple handsets.

Which is great, as long as the router will pass it all through correctly, without opening up my network to attack...

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I looked at localphone and although I can see they definitely have a place in the market, this isn't it for the simple reason that they don't support 999 calling

I'll be using a Gigaset N300

No problem if you have both a Sipgate or A & A account and Localphone. Just configure the dial plan on the N300 so that 999 calls go out on the Sipgate/A & A line.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Banksman 

I'd been wondering what device you were planning to use, and now you've revealed it's the Gigaset N300 which allows up to six SIP accounts I thought I'd mention a couple of the accounts I use for outgoing calls, both of which allow you to set their outgoing CLI to whatever numbers you can verify, in my case a choice between my landline (still on copper even though I have FTTP), several Sipgate numbers, mobile numbers and various other DIDs acquired years ago.

Caveat: My VoIP use is (and always has been) in a domestic, and some mobile, environment, so business users might have different requirements, and I use the accounts mentioned below to keep costs to a minimum.  I've got several Sipgate basic accounts but the only outgoing calls from them are free ones to other Sipgate users.

For calls to 01,02,03 and International calls I use FreeVoipDeal, which after you credit your account with 10 euros charges 0p per minute.  That is, you get 300 minutes of 'free' calls per rolling 7 days for a 120 day period to 01,02,03 and several International destinations, and your 10 euros remains intact for those 120 days unless you eat into it by either exceeding the 300 minutes or calling numbers which aren't covered by the 'free' tariff, (I've noticed you also get charged for the second call if you make two concurrently from different handsets).

After 120 days either use the remaining credit at very low rates, or top up to get another 120 'free' days and use the remaining credit to top up a PAYG mobile account.

https://www.freevoipdeal.com/calling_rates/

For calls to UK mobiles I use DiscountVoip which charges only 0.3p per minute 

https://www.discountvoip.co.uk/calling_rates/

Neither of those have any hidden extra charges such as call setup fees* for normal dialled calls, neither has any ongoing monthly contract or top up requirements, just do so as you wish.

Yes, Sipgate handle 999 calls, so as you've probably realised, you just need a dialling rule to send those calls via the right account, **  or configure Sipgate as the default for outgoing calls under 'Number Assignment' for each handset in the GUI.

*  The references you'll see on their website apply to calls you set up between two numbers using their web page.

**  MisterW beat me to it.

Banksman
Dabbler

Well, more thanks! I'm learning a lot (not hard when you're a beginner) and it's all very helpful.

I find it especially interesting that the thing I thought would be hard - getting the router, specifically the Hub Two - to play nicely might not be so hard after all. It may that I have been spooked by A&A's dire warnings on their help pages, though TBH they fed off my own prejudices too.

Just to be clear, can I expect the Hub Two to "just work" when I plug my N300 into it, with multifarious SIP accounts logged in?

My install date is three weeks away so I guess I won't get my hands on the hub until just before then.

TIA.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Having never used an ISP supplied router I'd have to go along with what others have said about the Hub Two.  I've used DrayTek routers for as long as I've been seriously using VoIP (since around 2005-6) and they've all been VoIP versions, and I'd agree with others that it's usually best to disable the SIP ALG if at all possible.

Even if you can't disable the SIP ALG on your present Hub One, your Gigaset N300 will probably still work if you plug it in whilst you're still on FTTC, it just may be slightly unreliable regarding certain aspects, but you could have a play around with it and get it set up ready for the big day.  Smiley

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Banksman if you do want to try with the Hub one then make sure it's firmware is up to date ( ends 289.1.3 ) as there was a bug in earlier versions affecting the N300. It should be updated automatically as long as it hasn't been out of use for a long time.