cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buzzing noise 5ghz

arenshaw6
Hooked

Buzzing noise 5ghz

Ive read on various threads on here about 5ghz buzzing noise..

Ive spoken to people on the phone that its a common fault and they cant fix because if they send my router of to be fixed.. i wil be charged.. and there is no fix for it? Ridiculous.

It happens when this mrs is on here phone s10.. and using the amazon fire stick all using 5ghz.. now I want to use 5ghz so just turning it off like people have suggested isnt really something i want to do help!

14 REPLIES 14
Gintas
Dabbler

Re: Buzzing noise 5ghz

It's same as coil whine, I have same problem and ignoring like mine psu and gpu sounds on pc, but for router that strange.. agree. After all plusnet hub one wifi part is [-Censored-] and you should be happy that 5ghz working at all on this router for you. Disable wifi on it and connect ac access point, that should solve the problem and probably improve wifi little bit. That is cheaper for not necessarily whole router replacement. 

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @arenshaw6,

I completely understand the frustration regarding the buzzing noise. This issue has already been raised with the manufacturer but I can assure you that the noise from the router isn't indicative of a performance problem with the router itself.

I am sorry for the inconvenience this is causing.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
arenshaw6
Hooked

Yes, i know..... this isnt a performance problem.. its an annoying problem!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Sorry for the frustration this causes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
arenshaw6
Hooked

Wait so all im going to get is a sorry? 

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @arenshaw6,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this is causing you and your wife, this something we are raising internally to our manufacturer but as of yet we have no further information on this. If further information comes to light we'll be sure to provide this to our customers. 

Thanks.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@arenshaw6 

I’m afraid that ‘a sorry’ is all that you will get. This has probably been going on for years now. At one time Plusnet replaced them but that seems to have stopped now. The manufacturer has declared that the noise is ‘within limits’. However no one replied when yonks ago I asked what the limits were. I therefore assume that there’s an eu spec somewhere relating to domestic products such as food mixers and vacuum cleaners that they are using.

If it’s really irritating you then go onto EBay and pick up a BT Smarthub 6 for around £20. Get the FTTC model, which does not have a red sticker on one of the LAN sockets. I have never heard of one being noisy. Setting instructions are here 

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

pleasedonotswea
Hooked

it's an absolute crock of [-Censored-].

I moved to plusnet and paid more as I rate customer service and they used to bang on. This buzzing noise is so bad, I have 5g turned off. I revisit the forums every few months to see if it's resolved - but it looks like they've just given up.

"buy another modem" isn't what I call a solution, it's a load of [-Censored-].

Baldrick1

@pleasedonotswea wrote:

"buy another modem" isn't what I call a solution, it's a load of [-Censored-].

I would be interested to hear what you would call this cost effective way of resolving the issue with your noisy Plusnet router in words that are not censored.

If you read back through posts you will see that Plusnet have been told by the router manufacturer that they are not going to do anything about it so your other choices are either to put up with it or go to another ISP.

Moderator and Customer

pleasedonotswea
Hooked

My solution as a business who prides themselves on customer service is to find another piece of hardware, broker a deal based on the economy of scale and ship it out to customers affected. 

My solution would not be to say sorry, and leave it up to the customer to solve the issue themselves. 

You can't sell yourself as a customer focused business and outsource bloody issues to them. Solve them. Like I said, Plusnet are not the cheapest - and I don't go for cheap. I go for a business that focuses on customer service and Plusnet are falling short. 

You don't blame the manufacture YOU CHOSE TO USE.

Baldrick1

Just to avoid any confusion I am another customer just like you. 

You may not recognise Plusnet as a budget ISP but they are. If you want top quality customer service then AAISP come highly recommended.

I do not know but suspect that the freebie modem/router provided by Plusnet is chosen by their master, that is BT. I assume that this is a budget device to discriminate the Plusnet  brand from their more expensive BT retail brand, which includes a Smarthub.

Moderator and Customer

pleasedonotswea
Hooked

Yes Baldrick1 I could see you were a customer, and a very helpful one from your stats. I was going to mention it in my last post but hoped you'd realise my frustration was with Plunet and not you or your advice.

Maybe I've got it wrong then, I always thought of Plusnet of a higher class ISP as they were more expensive than where I came from, but I did so because of the great engagement I saw on the forums and the fact they could offer me a static IP.

I'm just disappointed about this 5ghz buzzing nonsense as it's enough for me to turn it off at home, and I don't feel it's fair that I should be expected to buy me own kit to solve the issue.

Baldrick1

@pleasedonotswea 

Do you have your old router, if so which one?. You may be able to use that or convert it into a wireless access point and use that instead of  Plusnet for wireless 

Moderator and Customer

pleasedonotswea
Hooked

It's what I do big man. I have the plusnet connected to my firewall so wanted to use the 5Ghz on the plusnet as an IoT range to keep them off my LAN. I use my old TalkTalk on 2Ghz for LAN based devices.

I didn't want to setup another 2Ghz network due to co-channel interference (neighbors using 2Ghz channels too).

I can work around it, I just shouldn't bloody have too. Plusnet should provide a modem that can offer 5Ghz without the buzzing [-Censored-].

Appreciate you trying to work around the issue, but in my opinion it should be addressed at the hardware level by the provider.

(why don't you setup your TalkTalk to offer 5Ghz too for IoTs? - because it's not VLAN aware so I can't split the 5Ghz and 2Ghz traffic out, and I want them on different networks for security).