cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bridge Mode: Smart Hub 2 + TP-Link DECO M4

FIXED
Obelix27

Bridge Mode: Smart Hub 2 + TP-Link DECO M4

I am trying to use a DECO M4 mesh with a Smart Hub 2. Surprisingly it works with both the DECO and SH2 in router mode, but I want to do the correct thing and set the SH2 to "Bridging Mode" to avoid conflicts. When I set the SH2 to Bridging Mode I get a purple light and nothing works. I couldn’t even access the Smart Hub's settings via 192.168.1.254 (I also tried 192.168.1.1), and had to factory reset the SH2. I tried connecting the PC to the LAN1 and WAN ports.

How do I get the SH2 to work properly in bridging mode so that it works properly with the Deco M4 in router mode?

8 REPLIES 8
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Bridge Mode: Smart Hub 2 + TP-Link DECO M4

Fix

@Obelix27  Welcome to the forum.

Have you set the Deco to router mode, PPPoE and entered your Plusnet username and password?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Obelix27

I haven't no, and will do when I get that far. But the Smart hub 2 got the purple light (what does that mean?) and I was unable to configure the SH2 at all (e.g. take it out of Bridge mode). Surely I should be able to do that without any router attached? Also which LAN port do I connect to when in bridge mode?

Baldrick1

@Obelix27 

It means that it is working but not connected to the Internet, which it won’t unless you set the Deco up correctly. To revert the Hub 2 simply push a paperclip or similar in the reset hole on the back. Hold the switch closed until you get a green light.

Use any of the LAN sockets to connect to the Decp

Moderator and Customer

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

@Obelix27 

for clarity are your referring to the PlusNet Hub Two or BT Smart Hub 2?

On a Hub Two in bridge mode the led is pink when in bridge mode and on mine looks more purple!

Obelix27

Perfect, that now makes sense. Thank you! Final questions:

I am on a plusnet smart hub 2, the light definitely looks purple to me!

- So when I put it in Bridge mode it loses all the router settings, Admin login etc. as I have to factory reset it.

- Am I right in saying that both the DECO and SH2 shouldn't be in router mode? What actually is the problem as it seems to work quite well!

- finally what is the difference between the WAN port and LAN1-3?

Baldrick1

@Obelix27 

When in bridge mode the hub turns into a dumb modem, which converts the multi frequency broadband signal from the BT FTTC cabinet into a digital stream. All settings have to be entered into a separate router. If both units are in router mode you will double NAT. See here for more on this. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-double-NAT-and-why-is-it-bad

Moderator and Customer

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

In answer to:

So when I put it in Bridge mode it loses all the router settings, Admin login etc. as I have to factory reset it.

When you are in bridge mode the HUB is only a modem and the router is turned off, so those functions will not longer be available to you. On my Hub Two I see limited information on the Home >Status and Advanced Settings >Technical Log >Information, for this to work you need the PC to have a IP address network address in the 192.168.1.0/24 range

- Am I right in saying that both the DECO and SH2 shouldn't be in router mode? What actually is the problem as it seems to work quite well!

You need to setup the DECO as a router and look for PPoE connection in the WAN setup, in there you add your plusnet username and password

Router to Router introduces Double NAT, see https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-double-NAT-and-why-is-it-bad 

- finally what is the difference between the WAN port and LAN1-3?

You should connect the Deco to LAN 1 to 3 NOT the WAN port. WAN port is to connect the device to a ONT for full fibre

HTH

Dan

Obelix27

thank you - everything much clearer now! Let me test it this w/e and I'll mark a reply as Problem Fixed