Re: Blue light on router no connection

@jab1 

No error, phone shows

'Couldn't connect to network'

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

@psuser OK. I'll leave it to the experts, then 😉 - was just a thought.

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 74

@psuser 

What is the TP-Link device, does it work as a router only, after a re read of the I thread I see you are Full Fibre, unless you have an exact need for the Hub two you could just use the TP-Link

Can you extract the log file from the Hub and attach it here

http://192.168.1.254  Home >Advanced Settings >Technical log >Event log

I'll have a look tomorrow to see if there is anything obvious going wrong

psuser
Dabbler

@Dan_the_Van 

Following are the events when a device requests connection:

19:09:16, 17 Jan. DHCP device Disconnected: 192.168.1.118, 9a:0c:9d:5f:e3:f1, Galaxy-S21
19:09:15, 17 Jan. LAN [DEL] ARP 192.168.1.118 with 9a:0c:9d:5f:e3:f1 from br0
19:09:13, 17 Jan. ARP [del] br0 192.168.1.118 9a:0c:9d:5f:e3:f1
19:08:06, 17 Jan. Receive a DHCP request
19:08:05, 17 Jan. Lan IPv6 Neighbour Discovery events: NEIGHBOR_SOLICIT

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 74

I was hoping you could export the complete log from the Hub and attach it to a post, and TP-Link is?

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

@psuser 

Firstly having not yet unwrapped my PNH2, I could be wrong, and it's merely an observation. On the image you posted titled Hub2_GUI2 the wireless section doesn't show a channel number (in the brackets) for 2.4GHz but shows channel 140 for the 5GHz. Here's where I could be wrong, and maybe more familiar users of that router could clarify, but wouldn't both show a channel number (with 2.4GHz showing from 1 up to 12) and the 5GHz have a lower channel number? eg my BTSH, having just switched it back to smart, has selected channel 44

Also, a vague memory of setting up a Hub2 for my out-laws, when they went to swap their wifi devices over they also wouldn't connect. But the 'solution' back then was to ensure the old router was switched off and the wifi devices had to be rebooted. This could also be more of an issue on your side as the TP Link uses a different IP range to that used by BT/PN.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

but shows channel 140 for the 5GHz

I hadn't noticed that. Thats strange, it's a DFS channel. If a client isn't DFS capable then it can't connect.

Why has the Hub chosen that as opposed to a normal 36-64; channel ?

Are the normal 5 GHz channels congested with nearby networks

A scan of nearby networks with a WiFi analyser app, and then setting the channel manually on the Hub may be worth trying

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

As far as I'm aware, the Hub Two does not operate on UNII-2 5GHz channels, so quite why it's reporting that it is is a mystery to me!

What is displayed under the Advanced Settings > Wireless page?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

psuser
Dabbler

@bobpullen 

Please find attached the image of Advanced Settings > Wireless page

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@psuser that looks better on the 5ghz channel now. The 2.4ghz showing no channel is still strange.

Hopefully Bob will advise...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DS
Seasoned Champion

@psuser 

From that page, if you click (under the 2.4GHz section) on the 'Smart (Channel)' to expand it's options, do you have the ability to change the channel (ideally to 1 or 6 or 11) making sure you click save to the upper right?

If no options are there then I'm just going to say it's looking like the router is faulty. Using a paperclip (or similar) in the small reset button on the rear of the router and pressing this button in until the hub light goes out is really the only other thing to try to see if the wifi comes back up/on.

Also from that screenshot I can't currently think of an answer as to why any of your 5GHz capable devices won't simply just jump on the 5GHz, again leading me to believe something has become corrupt on the router itself.

edit. Thinking about it, when I set BT or PN routers up I turn off the WPS even before any wifi enabled devices are connected to the router and connect any devices by typing in the WiFi password. How are you trying to connect yours, by using the WPS button, scanning the QR code or manually inputting the wifi password?

psuser
Dabbler

@DS 

Regarding 2.4GHz section: I changed and saved it, however it changes back to  'Smart (Channel)'  within milliseconds. In fact 2.4 GHz devices were never able to connect to Hub 2. Earlier I tried switching OFF 5GHz, that made Hub2 un-reachable and I had to reset it to enable 5GHz again. The 5GHz were able to connect back at that time.

Now (since 15th Jan) the  situation is that no device can connect to Hub2. I had to use my TP-Link RE200 wifi range extender to connect via ethernet so that I can connect my devices via it. It is a temporary solution.

I have already done multiple reset (pressing reset button for more than 20sec i.e. until the hub light goes out ) no luck. From the logs I can see that devices are trying to connect to Hub2 however they are getting disconnected in milliseconds.

It seems that the router is faulty. Please suggest.

DS
Seasoned Champion

@psuser wrote: snipped

Regarding 2.4GHz section: I changed and saved it, however it changes back to  'Smart (Channel)'  within milliseconds. In fact 2.4 GHz devices were never able to connect to Hub 2. Earlier I tried switching OFF 5GHz, that made Hub2 un-reachable and I had to reset it to enable 5GHz again. The 5GHz were able to connect back at that time.

Hmm, OK. So changing the 2.4GHz (which is something I have always done on BT/PN routers) should not then make the router revert back to Smart. So that's clearly wrong.

Turning off the 5GHz (and believe me I know something about the 5GHz being, erm, how to say this politely, something that caused a bit if an headache on the PNH1) should have forced devices to use the 2.4GHz, so that's wrong on yours too.

Now (since 15th Jan) the  situation is that no device can connect to Hub2.

Although doubtful, the was a DNS issue on the 15th causing quite a few customers to lose connection, myself included. But I doubt a DNS outage could cause a router to fail in the way you're experiencing. The only thing possibly is if it was updating the firmware (Bob might comment on this?)

I had to use my TP-Link RE200 wifi range extender to connect via ethernet so that I can connect my devices via it. It is a temporary solution.

For the time being, keep doing this as until either Bob posts - hopefully he'll get things moving if a replacement is the only fix

I have already done multiple reset (pressing reset button for more than 20sec i.e. until the hub light goes out ) no luck. From the logs I can see that devices are trying to connect to Hub2 however they are getting disconnected in milliseconds.

Don't keep doing this now, imho you're wasting your time

It seems that the router is faulty. Please suggest.

You could wait for @bobpullen's input

But in honesty, I'd call them on 0800 432 0200 and tell them your router appears to be faulty, that you've gone onto their community forums and that it's looking like the firmware on the router has become corrupt for unknown reasons. Also also ask for one of their pre-paid returns bags too - whether Bob would want the bag marking for his attention is something I'd say is Bob's choice.

If they start saying well it's not in warranty and want you to pay, be polite and end the call and come back here.

(edit, tidied up a quote)

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@psuser its a strange one this, not something I've seen on here before. It is looking at bit like the router is faulty. I was hoping that Bob would have time to reply today but as monitoring the forum is not his 'proper' job (unlike most of the staff who post) he's possibly tied up with that. If there is a problem , I'm sure he'd want to try and understand what's causing it.

Have you tried the 'Rescan' option next to the wireless channel , what were the results ?

That should cause the router to scan for adjacent networks and select a channel to give least interference

James30
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 25

@psuser This sounds like the shenanigans I had when using the router and other networking tech like powerline adapters at the same time both giving out DHCP addresses. the same happens randomly when using powerline adapters.

Plusnet remove (as in unplug from power and the cables) from the router and then reboot it so that all the devices are forged to get new IP addresses from the DHCP settings in the router.

The router being at fault is possible but the default is always to assume faulty tech (I do it myself) and to be honest, a router is no different from a phone, smart plug or tablet in terms of what it's doing and I've never had any of that tech fail for anything other than a power issue so I'd want to go to town with figuring out what's wrong before just throwing a router at the problem.

If you like we can do a video call or feel free to send us a picture of the back of the router so we can see what's what, cheers

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
James - Plusnet Sheffield
Plusnet Help Team