cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Smart Hub 2- will both types work on FTTC?

FIXED
Houghty
Hooked

BT Smart Hub 2- will both types work on FTTC?

Hi guys, I am new to Plusnet and had the Fibre broadband for just over a month now. I can see from other threads people have updated to the BT Smart Hub 2, (I’m hopefully under the correct impression this is also known as the Homehub 6??) so I ordered one today off eBay, but upon further looking at the threads discovered to my understanding there are 2 types- one for FTTC which is distinguishable by having 4 Ethernet ports, and one for FTTP which has a WAN as instead of the 4th port. One has just  BT on the front with a circle round, the other is a bit fancier with a multicoloured globe on.

My question is- will both work okay on my FTTC without any faffing about as I’m not an IT aficionado, or should I just be looking at the one with the 4 Ethernet ports on? Unfortunately there were no pictures of the back of the router when I ordered it.

I appreciate there are plenty of threads on this router already and have looked through many pages of comments, but am unable to find a definitive answer so far, although guessing it’s on here somewhere, so thought I would just ask.

Cheers

12 REPLIES 12
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: BT Smart Hub 2- will both types work on FTTC?

Fix

@Houghty 

You are confused I’m afraid. There are two versions of Smarthub, the original Smarthub (Smarthub 6)and the latest model the Smarthub 2. The one with the fancy front is the Smarthub 2.

Both these models come as FTTC or FTTP models, there are also business versions of both.

I do not know about the FTTP version of the Smarthub 2 but both versions of the Smarthub 6 and the FTTC Smarthub 2 can be set to work with your Plusnet connection. See https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85... for settings and here for tests that I have done with the FTTP model.  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-a-FTTP-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-FTTC-Service/m-p/165176...
If you get a FTTP Smarthub 2 and the settings work then please come back here and tell us.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Houghty
Hooked

Thanks for much for the reply, yes I’ve obviously confused myself somewhat🥴. 

Because he router has not been despatched yet (something I forgot to mention in my post) I have messaged the seller asking about the ports at the back of the router as there weren’t any pics on the listings, and told if they have all 4 then I would have the item, if port 4 is the wan then might not be compatible so cancel the order. If the latter is the case, I will go through the listings again using the correct product info you have kindly provided to get the right model.

cheers again Baldrick1, behhhh!

2u2me
Pro
Fixes: 3

Baldrick1

@Houghty 

There are other clues from the pictures that can help. First is it a Smarthub 6 or a Smarthub 2? See my previous post.

I have never had a Smarthub 2 but if it’s a Smarthub 6, can you see from the pictures the inside of the box lid? This shows a picture of how the hub is connected. If it’s a FTTC model it shows wires going to the filter. Can you see the contents? A FTTC one will have a filter in the box and the DSL cable. A FTTP one has neither but another Ethernet cable for the WAN with red plugs.
Finally can you see the model number, if so what is it?

Remember the FTTP Smarthub 6 works fine, you just use the use of one LAN socket. Both versions use the same firmware.  I suspect that the Smarthub 2 will also work but I do not know if this is the case.

Moderator and Customer

Baldrick1

@2u2me 

Assuming you did not try the links in my original post see. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-a-FTTP-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-FTTC-Service/m-p/165176...

Moderator and Customer

Houghty
Hooked

Hi yeah I’m pretty sure that was one of the threads I was looking at amongst the others and got information overload, cheers for the reply.

Houghty
Hooked

Hi I’m pretty sure I looked at all those threads litsted prior to buying but must have conflated the various models available, which you have now helped to clarify.

The router is on its way as the seller obviously didn’t look at my note to check the Ethernet ports and let me know beforehand, but from the original item listing it deffo states it’s a smart hub 2 on the label on the box and item code is 091303, serial no 091301, 1942016226.

From seeing your instructions on the other threads I hopefully just need to log into the BT site and enter my Plusnet ID and password, (after doing a factory reset) and I’ll be away- I’ll update when it arrives next week and had a dabble.

Thanks again for taking the time to help point me in the right direction.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Houghty  Not sure what you mean by "log into the BT site" . You will actually be logging into the Hub which is on your local network and nothing to do with any BT site. Just follow the instructions that @Baldrick1  has so kindly provided and you should be OK.😁

Houghty
Hooked

Yeah that’s what I meant, 192.168.1.254 into the address field, soz suffering from router fatigue I think 😖😁

Houghty
Hooked

Well ,Baldrick1, the router arrived today and thanks to your excellent instructions my Smart Hub 2 (it did have the 4 Ethernet ports, item code 091303) was up and running with no problems cheers. The only slight difference on this model was that the lights flashed orange, instead of purple, in booting up/restarting per steps 1-3.
Thanks again for your help and advice getting this sorted and the other contributors, much appreciated.
AlanCF

Hello

I have just renewed with Plusnet on the basis that I can purchase a BT Router to improve on my standard Plusnet router. Not being that technical I am not sure what I need to buy and am slightly confused by the available types - Smart Hub 2 - Home Hub 2 - Smart Hub 6 - Advantages of one type over another - Difference between FTTC and FTTP? Which is better? - Is dual band splitting a nice to have? I would be grateful of your help and advice.

If you were buying today what would you go for and why?

Many thanks

Houghty
Hooked

Hi Alan, looks like you’re in a similar position to me a few weeks ago when I asked my question, luckily there are a few kind people on here that will help us.
I think the the first thing you need to know is which type of router is compatible- FTTC or FTTP for your property. The former is the older/slower one where the fibre goes ‘to the cabinet’ which will usually be on or near your street. The other type applies to those areas that are lucky enough to have had an upgrade where the fibre cables have been extended and runs directly to the (your) property and if so you will be able to access super broadband speeds. There are diagrams and info online if not sure which yours is, and a map on the BT openreach site to tell you approximately when it’s due in your area. All I know is mine was a FTTC connection and the router and model are above and so glad I upgraded as had trouble with the performance of the plusnet router supplied- it was awful. Both the plusnet and BT ones will be dual band and they normally switch automatically to the best one for each device so wouldn’t worry about having to set anything up. For info mine was £40ish from eBay and dead easy to set up if you check out the links provided by baldrick1 above.
Hope this helps, good luck.