Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Smart Hub 2 not connecting.

FIXED
markbedwards
Hooked
Fixes: 1

BT Smart Hub 2 not connecting.

Hi, I've purchased a new BT Smart Hub 2 from ebay, however cannot seem to connect to the internet with it. It tries to connect but fails, have changed username and password (myusername@plusdsl.net) as per pinned Plusnet with Home Hub 6 instructions, factory reset performed and username/password re-entered again.

The Smart Hub 2 I have has the BT in a small circle logo rather than what i believe is the slightly older model with the BT+logo in a larger circle.

I've read on the forums here that this hub should work ok, however there are also some indications that it is locked to BT and won't work, does anyone know for sure if it should work? There doesn't seem to be many options/settings required other than changing the username/password?

Plugging the old hub back on and it connects straight away.

Firmware version v0.17.01.12301-BT

Getting PPP: Chap authentication failed in the event log.

13 REPLIES 13
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: BT Smart Hub 2 not connecting.

Fix

@markbedwards 

Three things:

1. Have you confirmed that you are using the correct user name and password by using them to log into your Plusnet account?

2. Are you leaving the DSL cable unplugged until after you have changed your username and password? If you don't it will reset to the default BT one.

3. Have you got any special characters in your Plusnet password? If so go into your account and change it to using only alpha numeris characters. Ignore instructions to use a special one.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

markbedwards
Hooked

I'm certain the username/password is correct, there is a special character so I will change that and try again.

The username/password is saved as it is still kept after a power cycle of the Smart Hub 2.

Many thanks for the quick reply, will update thread after password change.

markbedwards
Hooked

Uh, I'm not 100% sure of the fix there. I logged in and changed my password, turned around to change it on the Smart Hub 2 and it is showing as connected!

Yesterday, while I was trying to get it working I was using the provided filter that came with the new Smart Hub 2, today I have used the existing one from my old hub - it could be that or it could be the change of password - when I changed password via the Plusnet web portal it indicated that the password would automatically change on the Hub if it was connected, if not you have to manually change it. So I've turned around to change it on the hub and its already connected.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@markbedwards 

I guess there are a few explanations.

1. When you first connected it spent time updating the firmware and you gave up waiting, believing it had failed to connect. You can check this by logging in and seeing when the firmware last updated.

2. As you say, you might have a duff filter.

3. It has automatically picked up your new password.  To be honest I'm sceptical about this. I recommend that you log in and check the password as if it hasn't changed you will probably find that if it reboots it will not reconnect until the password is beought up to date. Remember to unplug the DSL cable or select Disconnect/connect before and after changing this

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

markbedwards
Hooked

Looks like the firmware only updated after the connection was made and the connection was made before I changed the password, so currently looking like I had a duff filter - I will test this later.

Some of the log entries - the last one is immediately before connection where it picked up the NTP:

10:21:43, 14 Oct.Hub is waiting to apply new firmware.
10:21:43, 14 Oct.download firmware image success
10:05:04, 14 Oct.WAN Auto-sensing last connection port: DSL WAN
00:44:55, 01 Oct.2.4G client Mac: 90:02:18:A5:20:24 Deauthentications (Reason:Class 2 frame received from nonauthenticated station)

Looks like it connected as I was typing out the original post, typical!

Thanks for your help with this.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@markbedwards  I don't think it is anything to do with the filter. The router will not have updated with your new account password as it will not be registered on the Plusnet management platform so I agree with @Baldrick1  that you will now have a mismatch between your router and account passwords which you will need to correct, or risk failure to reconnect if for any reason the current connection is lost. 🙄

Ausiemate
Dabbler

Just to confirm, a new SmartHub 2, locked to BT can be used to connect to plusnet? looking to replace current set up and SmartHub does have good reviews?

Thanks

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

BT Smart Hub 2 will work with plusnet, however with the Smart Hub 2 unlike the Smart Hub (HH6) you are unable to split the 5GHz or 2.4GHz Bands.

see post #653 here for set up for BT Smart Hub (HH6)  or Business Hub Smart Hub by Baldrick1 

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1782247#M23...

Ausiemate
Dabbler

@LifeonMars many thanks not to worried about splitting bands. can you turn off wifi as will probably still need to connect Deco mesh system?

Thanks

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

You can switch the wireless settings off in advanced settings in the BT Smart Hubs  by entering http://192.168.1.254 and going to advance settings /Wireless etc. 

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/how-do-i-turn-wi-fi-on-and-off-on-the-bt-hub-

Ausiemate
Dabbler

Excellent.  Looks like a an alternative to my current set-up of Asus router and old BT openreach modem?

Thanks again for info and help

53Shane
Hooked

Hi there, new to this forum.  I've been using a BT home hub 5 with my Plusnet account for years, and just bought a BT Smart Hub 2 to basically have something more up to date and efficient. I plugged in the broadband cable directly into the router (I have one of the newer BT telephone sockets with a built-in filter), then the power cable and switched on (no devices were connected at this point).  I followed the all instructions - plus the ones that people had mentioned on the forums - but the Hub just sticks on solid orange lights, and I don't get anywhere near the part putting in / changing log in details etc.  My PC is upstairs and connect wirelessly, so would this have affected the set up as it was trying to search for the router whilst it was setting up? I have considered setting it up upstairs and plugging in directly to the router there via an ethernet cable, but i'll need a filter at that telephone point as its an older socket. Would this help, or am I missing something? Many thanks to whom ever can shed some light. Kind regards, Shane

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

All you need to do is plug in the BT Smart Hub 2. Near to your main BT Socket  no cables or anything connected.

Tyoe in your address bar on your computer 192.168.1.254 and connect remotely to your BT Smart Hub2 

then follow the instructions here

see my post 41 

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/BT-Home-Hub-6-Smart-Hub-on-PlusNet/td-p/1349153/page/3

also see post 653 here. also gives Baldricks1 set up for a BT Business Hub

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1782853#M23...

Do not plug the dsl cable into your BT socket until you have entered   yourusername@plusdsl.net    and password (Do not include any odd characters such as %^&*()$£ etc  if you have such characters in password change it prior to connecting.)  The firmware needs to be updated before odd characters can be accepted..  No need to reset BT Smart Hub 2 if New. Also with BT Smart Hub2 you can not split the GHz bandwidths but can switch them off in needed.