Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus RT-N66U - HELP!

munzz
Dabbler

Asus RT-N66U - HELP!

Hi All,

Had my fibre installed today and very happy with the stock arrangement but would like to hook my Asus RT-N66U up to the Plusnet Hub.

I have tried following the guides (ethernet cable from WAN to Asus) and populated the PPOE fields with my user and pass but I have no luck gaining an internet connection when connected to ASUS. It works fine when connecting with the Plusnet router.

Can someone advise? I assume I am missing something extremely basis.

Thanks.

21 REPLIES 21
philbev
Dabbler

Re: Asus RT-N66U - HELP!

Haven't got an Asus router, but one possible problem is that PN's router has a different gateway address. Some routers have 192.168.1.1 others 192.168.1.254 - worth checking.

ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

OK...

Connect PLusnet Hub LAN to ASUS LAN

Then you have to swith mode on the asus to access point.

The plusnet hub will be the router,modem, DHCP server etc; (switch off wireless)

The ASUS will be a wireless access point.

Ian

Lurch
Rising Star

I have tried following the guides (ethernet cable from WAN to Asus)

That doesn't sound right. What guide are you following?

munzz
Dabbler

Hi,

Thanks for the response, this unfortunately is all OK and doesn't seem to be the cause.

munzz
Dabbler

Hi,

I have tried this too, LAN to LAN and it's still not even working as an access point. It states the internet is disconnected.

munzz
Dabbler

Hi,

I tried all possibilities (LAN to WAN, LAN to LAN etc) all to no avail.

Lurch
Rising Star

Well this thread is a complete mess now. But at least the folks at Lithium made it look fancy!

Anyway, as to the task at hand, what guide?

munzz
Dabbler

Hi,

Apologies, I went reply happy.

I cannot find the guide now, this morning I have been pieicing together parts of other topics.

So...

Plusnet Hub is connected to the mains as expected and fibre works correctly. I have ran an ethernet cable from GIG Ethernet on Plusnet hub to port 1 on the Asus router (not WAN).

The Asus setup page is accessible when connected to ASUS router but it will not provide an internet connection when set up via PPOE or access point.

Lurch
Rising Star

@munzz wrote:

Plusnet Hub is connected to the mains as expected and fibre works correctly. I have ran an ethernet cable from GIG Ethernet on Plusnet hub to port 1 on the Asus router (not WAN).

The Asus setup page is accessible when connected to ASUS router but it will not provide an internet connection when set up via PPOE or access point.

If the ASUS router is connected from LAN to LAN the PPPoE settings in the ASUS router will have no effect as they will be sent out over the WAN. The PPPoE connection is to authenticate you on the broadband network, which the Plusnet router is already doing.

So, you will need to either connect the ASUS WAN to the Plusnet LAN port and tell the ASUS to not use PPPoE but just to use DHCP on the WAN port (Dynamic IP I think it is called in the ASUS) or connect LAN to LAN and set the ASUS in access point mode (or just disable DHCP at least). The former would be the preferred option.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@munzz

1. The Plusnet Hub One cannot act as a modem only. It must log into Plusnet so it alone must set  up the PPPoE link. 

2. The Asus RT-N66U is a router, and needs a modem to connect it the Internet if you wish the Asus box to control the PPPoE link.

So the answer you have are to 

1. Buy a VDSL2 modem and use that with the RT-N66U

2. Buy a new Asus DSL-N66U

3. Just use the Plusnet Hub  One

4. Use the Plusnet Hub One as the PPPoE device, disable the Hub One WiFi & DHCP, turn the RT-N66U into an access point and connect it to the appropriate port on the Hub One and N66U.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
SpendLessTime
Hero

This link from the BT Community details how to use a HH5 (which the Hub One really is) with a router

https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Configure-Home-Hub-5-as-modem-only/m-p/1438417#M...

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
munzz
Dabbler

Hi,

Thank you for the response, I now have it working in access point mode which is good enough for me.

Can you suggest a cheap modem I could replace the hub with?

ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

SpendLessTime
Hero