Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Apple Time Machine on Synology NAS

Highlighted
Hooked

Apple Time Machine on Synology NAS

Hi,

Since I changed from broadband to fibre with plusnet I am getting very intermittent connection to my apple time machine backup for my MBP. I can see the admin page on the synology NAS and can connect via the finder to see the files via afp://servername.local as the NAS suggests I get an intermittent connection. I have tried to turn Bonjour broadcast on and off and it makes no difference? Any ideas. Just to let you know I have no coding experience but can use terminal with the appropriate suggestions and can adjust settings on my router.

Thanks,

6 REPLIES
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Re: Apple Time Machine on Synology NAS

@newbie1

On the face of it, this seems to suggest that the router you got from Plusnet (I guess the Hub One) works less well with the Apple time machine and your NAS than the previous router.

Can you use your previous router "behind" the Plusnet Hub One ?

I would also look for any firmware updates for the NAS and try time machine connected by cable rather than wireless.

I've found time machine can be a bit hit and miss and occasionally needs to be reset with my WD MyCoud. It is generally OK but has its moments. newer firmware on the WD seemed to improve matters.

Rising Star

One other suggestion, try making the 5GHz WiFi network SSID different to that for the 2.4GHz.

I've found various WiFi devices get upset by both networks having the same name.

You can change this in the advance settings.

Well covered in the following thread.

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Making-5-GHz-have-separate-SSID-with-the-Hub-One/td-p/134955...

Hooked

Thank you for the advice.

I think I have not explained my set up clearly. The time machine back up is the software on my mbp that uses a standard folder on my synology NAS as the backup destination. I have tried to wire my MBP to the router but I still cannot connect via afp but on wireless and wired I can connect via smb which is the windows way to connect to the synlogy. My NAS is up to date. I have read there are apple connectivity issues but I cannot understand the fact that everything connects from my MBP to Synology except via the path afb. Tried the wireless changes and still no luck. 

If I connect via smb and then immediately to the server via afb it will connect and back up. Obviously with back ups the amount of times I remember to do that will not stop me kicking myself a lot when I need my back up! 

Rising Star

Hello @newbie1

I wonder if this has some sort of name resolution element.

I don't have a Hub One in use or a Synology NAS so can't really undertake any meaningful experiments.

I would recommend trying a static IP address for the NAS then setting the time machine up to point at the (static) IP address.

I read (but can't confirm) that the DHCP scope for the Hub One is 192.168.1.64 - 192.168.1.253 so, say 192.168.1.50 would be a suitable IP address to set the Synology to (at least for a trial). Default gateway would be 192.168.0.254 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0

I don't think the Hub One can do DHCP reservation.

Give that a go and see if it helps.

Hooked

Thank you again. It had always been set to static but something your post has just highlighted is my static is 192.168.1.10 which is not within range. Shall I change it? Not being an IT professional as it is connecting via smb I thought it would be fine. I thought if the range was set it just would not connect at all.

I have also turned off and turned on all file services on the NAS on the suggestions of other websites. If that does not work will change the ip to within range.
Hooked

No luck with all those changes :-( The smb route is now intermittent as well.