Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded today to FTTC without Phone

FIXED
tmcwhisky
Dabbler

Upgraded today to FTTC without Phone

Currently on Plusnet FTTC 40/10 with phone, as we don’t use the landline phone we upgraded to Fibre without phone which is due to start on on 5th April. After the sign up I received SMSs from Plusnet and Openreach. The Openreach  sms seemed to infer a visit from an engineer to test and provide us with the best service. Am I right in thinking that all the work will take place in the exchange and the upgrade will not require a home visit.

10 REPLIES 10
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Upgraded today to FTTC without Phone

Fix

@tmcwhisky If you are switching to a SoGEA service, as you are, there is no engineer vidit to your home required - as you suggest, it is a pure admin/automatic process.

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tmcwhisky 

It might be worth taking a screenshot of your router's existing sync speeds and SNR margin,  so that you have a reference point for later - to show that your upgrade has made a difference, or use as evidence if nothing changes !

It might also be worth taking a screenshot of  BT Broadband Availability Checker  so you can check how your upgraded SoGEA line compares to the predicted VDSL ("Clean" and "Impacted") speeds.

tmcwhisky
Dabbler

@Anonymous wrote:

@tmcwhisky 

It might be worth taking a screenshot of your router's existing sync speeds and SNR margin,  so that you have a reference point for later - to show that your upgrade has made a difference, or use as evidence if nothing changes !

It might also be worth taking a screenshot of  BT Broadband Availability Checker  so you can check how your upgraded SoGEA line compares to the predicted VDSL ("Clean" and "Impacted") speeds.

Screen prints taken - thank you for the suggestion. I don’t envisage any problems - but you never know -  I am 60m from the cabinet and currently have speeds of 50/9 MBps on both Ethernet and WiFi

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tmcwhisky wrote:

I am 60m from the cabinet and currently have speeds of 50/9 MBps on both Ethernet and WiFi

Did you mean 40/9 ?, or are you talking about the router's maximum attainable download sync speed ?

I'm confused as you previously said -

@tmcwhisky wrote:

Currently on Plusnet FTTC 40/10 with phone ...

tmcwhisky
Dabbler

@Anonymous wrote:

@tmcwhisky wrote:

I am 60m from the cabinet and currently have speeds of 50/9 MBps on both Ethernet and WiFi

Did you mean 40/9 ?, or are you talking about the router's maximum attainable download sync speed ?

I'm confused as you previously said -

@tmcwhisky wrote:

Currently on Plusnet FTTC 40/10 with phone ...

Yes it is confusing I was getting 50/9Mbps on speed tests but I wasn’t complaining . See attached basic info for BT Smarthub 6A. I took Plusnet up on their offer of the Hub 2 and will be trying it out when it arrives and comparing it with the 6A.

Router Basic - Status 2.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, that make more sense.

It looks like you are actually provisioned at 55/10,

see topics from 2016 -

New 55/10 rollout ,

Plusnet Botch 38Mbps to 52Mbps Fibre Broadband “Upgrade” 

Hopefully being only 60m from your FTTC cabinet, your SoGEA upgrade should give you the full 80/20.

tmcwhisky
Dabbler

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh, that make more sense.

It looks like you are actually provisioned at 55/10,

see topics from 2016 -

New 55/10 rollout ,

Plusnet Botch 38Mbps to 52Mbps Fibre Broadband “Upgrade” 

Hopefully being only 60m from your FTTC cabinet, your SoGEA upgrade should give you the full 80/20.

Thanks @Anonymous

having read these links it reminded me that in 2014 I signed up for the 40/20 package and I was totally unaware that I had been upgraded to the new package. According to the router stats my line can sync at 105Mbps download but I probably will never see that speed.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@tmcwhisky  You wrote ...." According to the router stats my line can sync at 105Mbps download " That is a theoretical maximum sync speed and you certainly won't see it as Openreach VDSL2 lines have a maximum sync speed of 80Mbps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tmcwhisky wrote:

... don’t envisage any problems - but you never know

Did your upgrade go to plan yesterday ?,

and are you getting the expected full 80/20 speeds ?

tmcwhisky
Dabbler

Upgrade went well seemed to happen overnight on Friday am. Getting speeds of 74 down and 18 up. Phone disconnected later that day.