cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to FTTP

cacus

Upgrading to FTTP

Hi all,

I'm currently a Plusnet customer on the FTTC fibre broadband. and my contract expires next month and have started getting the usual renewal emails.

I' considering moving to FTTP (full fibre) but I have a few question which some may help with (especially staff if they read this). Though would be much better if you could actually email companies nowadays 😡

1) - I current have a Fixed IP. Will I be able to keep this on upgrading?

2) - I currently used my own router. Will they automatically send me a new HUB2 when upgrading and even then can I use my own hubs again in the future?

3) - I know people who have had there gardens dug to install fibre. (though there not with Plusnet) and a website claimed I had Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG congested duct will plus net use this 'duct' to go under ground and follow the old copper? or will I need my garden/drive to be dug up? There are no telegraph poles down our street.

4) - The 500Mbps fibre which is what I'm considering is a few quid cheaper if I'm a new customer compared to my upgrade price. I though companies were not allowed to do this nowadays? Is this just going to be a case of haggling with them on the phone with the whole I'll leave if you don't [-Censored-]?

5) - Finally (sorry for the length) BT whom I believed now own Plusnet guarantee their 500 fibre to be a min of 425Mb were Plusnet only guarantee 275Mb so are plus net throttling there speeds? I've been burnt before were Ive been 'promised' one and got significantly less under there we only guarantee get out card.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer anything.

Cheers

5 REPLIES 5
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Upgrading to FTTP

@cacus some observations from another customer

1) I beleve so

2) Not automatically but it's an option to get a Hub 2 for a postage charge. I use my own router but went for the Hub 2 in case it is needed either for commissioning the fibre circuit or subsequent fault diagnosis. I only have a (boxed) Hub 1 which I'll be getting a returns bag for shortly.

3) That's hard to tell until someone attempts the install. If there are no new poles and you are currently underground fed, that's how it will have to go. Think hard about how you would like this done and you may prefer to provide your own route in. The fibre install is an opportunity to change "arrangements" but think hard as you will be stuck with it once it's done!

4) Anecdotally phoning up and haggling gets the new customer price. I would also keep a record of the pricing offered as it changes every few weeks from my experience. I "pulled the trigger" on a fibre upgrade when the package I was interested in was at a decent price. The existing customer offers seem to cycle round the available speeds.

5) I don't believe Plusnet limit the speed beyond what the Openreach provisioning does for the chosen product. It could be that this speed guarantee difference is part of the justification for the pricing differential. It may also be due to the Plusnet Hub 2 typical performance. Whatever is provisioned, you can only rely on it with a wired connection.

I am the satisfied customer....
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 397

1) - I current have a Fixed IP. Will I be able to keep this on upgrading?

Upgrading to FTTP should not affect your fixed IP.

2) - I currently used my own router. Will they automatically send me a new HUB2 when upgrading and even then can I use my own hubs again in the future?

If you dont already have a Hub 2 then they should automatically send one. You can still use your own router BUT make sure its capable of handling the 500Mb throughput!

3) - I know people who have had there gardens dug to install fibre. (though there not with Plusnet) and a website claimed I had Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG congested duct will plus net use this 'duct' to go under ground and follow the old copper? or will I need my garden/drive to be dug up? There are no telegraph poles down our street.

All ISP's who use Openreach FTTP will use the same ducting. If its congested then Openreach will probably do a survey to check what work is required to clear it.

4) - The 500Mbps fibre which is what I'm considering is a few quid cheaper if I'm a new customer compared to my upgrade price. I though companies were not allowed to do this nowadays? Is this just going to be a case of haggling with them on the phone with the whole I'll leave if you don't [-Censored-]?

It would seem so, yes!.

5) - Finally (sorry for the length) BT whom I believed now own Plusnet guarantee their 500 fibre to be a min of 425Mb were Plusnet only guarantee 275Mb so are plus net throttling there speeds? I've been burnt before were Ive been 'promised' one and got significantly less under there we only guarantee get out card.

In general FTTP runs at the provisioned speed, however Openreach prioritorise a portion of the bandwidth and thus guarantee a speed. Plusnet are quoting this as their guaranteed speed, whereas I'm not sure what BT are using as their 'guarantee' . In fact BT use a similar value to PN as their 'stay-fast' guarantee https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/full-fibre/what-is-bt-s-stay-fast-guarantee-for-full-fibre

Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Full Fibre to My Order

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@cacus 

With a "congested duct" you simply won't know if fibre can be supplied through it until OR actually try. They may decide digging is required but I would assume they would talk to you first.

The PlusNet Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 might provide further information and details of offers.

Brian

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

One small update, having had the fibre upgrade completed.

1) Keeping you static IP address. For me the static IP address came up and showed on the fibre connected Hub 2 immediately.

However nothing in the process ended the session on the VDSL connection, so the fibre connection only started working once I disconnected the phoneline connection to the VDSL modem.

I powercycled the Openreach ONT and Hub 2 at that point and it all came good.

I could have foreseen this little problem but it was easily fixed.....

I am the satisfied customer....