cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Reward Card Ponzi Scheme

temelkovd

The Reward Card Ponzi Scheme

I wanted to add to the weight of a number of posts on this forum by adding my experience to the many others. Here it goes:

I decided to leave my previous provider on the 30th June because I didn't appreciate their dishonesty and utter lack of customer service.

After a quick run o n a comparison site, i noticed that Plusnet were offering a similar speed, for a similar fee AND with the added bonus of a gift card! A flashback of the chubby Yorkshire chap with the chequered shirt came to mind, so it was no brainer. I signed up. 

Fee paid and confirmations received, I patiently waited for the service to be activated on the 14th July. I remembered reading in the FAQ's that I'll get the gift card order email about 10 days after activation.

Come 22nd of August, I remembered the card and off I went to the FAQs again. Armed with a contact number, I called what I assumed was the card-issuing partner of Plusnet and spoke to a polite Spanish chap who advised me that they deal with Plusnet only Mon to Fri. I shall call on Monday then.

On the 24th, bright and early I called and spoke again to the charming Spaniard, who offered me a call back within a day.

I kind of realised that the callback is not going to come by the morning of the 28th, so I called Plusnet's ofn Customer Services.

The person I spoke to seemed competent enough, telling me that a system glitch prevented the all important email, as although I was eligible for a reward card, my account hadn't updated. They advised that they will escalate the issue and I should have my resolution within 3 to 5 working days.

Today, 3rd of September, I decided to chase the resolution and called in again. The new person proceeded to tell me that I was not eligible for a reward card and, to cut a long story short, after nearly 50 minutes on the phone, they relayed a message from a manager that I am 'Guaranteed' a gift card or in the worst case scenario a cheque. Although timescales were a little dubious.

With this in mind, I have now started to think that my previous provider may not have been the worst in the world...

Advice of others, if you enter into a contract on the grounds that you will receive a reward for the signing of the contract, and this reward is not provided, the contract itself is not binding. The marketing tactics of luring consumers into your business, by promising rewards that you do not intend to deliver is a trade tactic that has been illegal for decades.

One can't help but wonder if this is a genuine nefarious scheme run by BT group, or an ill thought of tactic where reward cards are offset by future revenue, therefore any drops in revenue are reflected in the timescale discrepancies. 

Anyway, if you, like me, are not bothered about brand allegiance and would switch in a heartbeat to anyone that can put their money where their mouth is, so to speak, you may have sufficient grounds to ask for your deadlock letter.

3 REPLIES 3
Hillyone

Re: The Reward Card Ponzi Scheme

I think I also spoke to the very pleasant Spanish gent, who transferred my call to Plusnet.  After a very long wait, I got fed up and have tried to make contact by other means.  I’m not receiving my activation code by email. I’d like to get this sorted.

temelkovd

The saga goes on: Guaranteed stuff didn't happen. I called, poor boy on the line told me it's escalated and I have to wait. I said that two months is waiting enough. He disagreed but after a forceful demeanour from what I would describe as a 'disgruntled new customer' put me on to a 'manager?? *citation needed', who promised a resolution in two hours. Needles to say, there was no email, despite his comforting Yorkshire accent. Next stop, ombudsman for misselling, as the resolution timescale is behind us. I hope that the fine is as fat as the ignorance of this incompetent BT telecoms offspring
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @temelkovd,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I picked this up for investigation today and whilst I was looking into the matter, I can see that you've spoken to our support team further. It looks as though a resolution has been offered and is in the process of being delivered, however if you have any further queries please don't hesitate to get back in touch and we'll be happy to assist.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team