cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regret getting plus net already

jayhuggan
Hooked

Regret getting plus net already

So I ordered my adsl plus net just before new year, found out AFTER I ordered that it would be 3 WEEKS!!! To get my Internet on. It's a new build flat that already had asdl and even has a double socket installed. I called up to tell them this but the lady in the phone kept repeating that the date couldn't be changed, I told her the engineer wouldn't need to come, she kept repeating the date can't be changed, the date can't be changed. Three weeks is too long to go without broadband I'm really tempted to cancel and go with someone else, if this kind of wait is what their service is like!!!
Tags (3)
14 REPLIES 14
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Regret getting plus net already

@jayhuggan 

The service has to be connected at the exchange by Openreach who are responsible for providing the service. Due to all that is currently going on resources are stretched and Openreach technician availability will be causing the delay.

If you cancel now you will probably end up at the back of the queue with a new ISP. Also be aware that the14 days free cancellation period starts on the day that you sign up after which you are liable for cancellation charges.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Order

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jayhuggan
Hooked

None of which has been communicated to me. And if I choose to cancel and I'm charged a penny I'll log a full complaint with trading standards and ofcom. A few days, a week even is fine but an almost 3 week wait is too much. I need to work, study, relax, listen to music but I can't because plus net can't do anything else but repeat: the date can't be changed, the date can't be changed...
flanzm
Pro
Fixes: 15

PlusNet and all other ISP's have no control over OpenReach - all they can do is submit an order and wait for it to be completed.

3 weeks for a line isn't that unreasonable given the amount of staff off sick ATM.

If you choose to cancel you will have the same problem with any other ISP that uses OpenReach.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for your post @jayhuggan and welcome to our Community Forums.

I'm sorry for the delay with your order.

I can see we've been providing you with regular updates by e-mail via the support ticket logged Here.

That ticket's closed now, because we've processed your order and we're just waiting for the order to complete.

We placed an order on the 2nd January to takeover an active working line at your property, and we've been given an activation date of the 18th January. While frustrating and I appreciate the inconvenience caused, I'm afraid it's not possible for any provider to speed up these type of orders, due to strict regulations it takes a minimum of 10 working days. 

As you've raised an online complaint Here, one of my colleagues from our complaints team will be contacting you shortly. 

If you've got further queries or concerns, feel free to post back though. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jayhuggan
Hooked

Frustrating is not even the word, I'm front line NHS, I need to work from home sometimes. I am now getting terse emails from my manager asking why I'm not able to do teams meetings access files etc. I understand these are trying times for everyone but this is too long a wait. I've asked around and nobody has even heard of a 19 day wait for broadband to be connected. My boss certainly hasn't..
Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

We can understand your frustration but as you work in the NHS you will know there has been a problem called Covid-19 for almost two years. I have been referred to a consultant for a medical problem; the waiting period is two years and even longer in some specialties despite the incredible efforts of NHS staff.

Delays are inevitable in business too, including Openreach which makes the connections for all ISPs, not just Plusnet. As you have been told, cancellation will result in even more delay while you apply to another ISP, which will then apply to Openreach to make your connection, which will still have a three-week backlog unless a miracle happens. Even the connection dates may be extended should the Openreach technicians be called upon for emergencies.

How are you receiving the "terse emails from my manager" ? Have you explored other options such as mobile access, to which your employer may contribute as you are an essential worker? Advice readily available here for the asking. 

jayhuggan
Hooked

Yes I have heard of Covid-19 I worked in a covid ward last year - pretty grim (get your jab). I realise it's tough all over but a 19 day wait is too long. FYI I am getting emails on my work mobile however the vpn I have to use for access to work stuff via my work laptop is ultra secure and needs a private network to connect so btwifi or my personal hot-spot are not an option. I'm only speaking up because it's important that I have access, if it was just for Netflix I wouldn't be so prissy about it. I have informed my IT dept. But as you may have heard there's a bit of a staffing crisis in the NHS so it might take a few weeks to get a trust simcard for said laptop. I have investigated all other solutions my only recourse is to vent about it here. BTW sorry to play the NHS card (I wouldn't normally it's a bit priggish) but my problem is directly connected to my ability to help people. Broadband is an essential service and I am facing real world consequences for it's absence. It just feels like I'm beating my head against the wall.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to me @jayhuggan

I understand the frustration and if we could speed this up, we absolutely would do. 

To takeover a working line that's active with another provider, the minimum amount of time it takes is 10 working days. If we take into account the bank holiday's, an activation date of 18th January is normal if you signed up on 31st December. 

When signing up we make you aware of the following:

"* We'll get your broadband and phone service switched over as soon as we can. This normally takes a minimum of 10 full working days
* Your broadband service will normally be up and running on the same day as your phone service
* Sometimes, circumstances beyond our control may alter your switch date. We'll keep you informed of any changes"

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi
Most mobile phones support USB tethering.
In effect using a USB lead in place of WiFi.

Have you tried connecting the mobile to the work laptop via a USB lead and selecting USB tethering on the phone?
Richard
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

I checked my Samsung phone and it has an ethernet tethering option.
Looking at the reviews for:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Ethernet-Adpater-Thunderbolt-Nintendo/dp/B07M8GSLQB/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_s...

One reviewer states they have it working on their phone to provide an ethernet connection to their mobile phone.
jayhuggan
Hooked

It's a really good idea but I tried tethering, my work vpn does not like gifgaff 😂 can't use my work phone like that because it's locked up tight with the settings (it's all very secure as it should be). Thank you for the suggestion though 😊
jayhuggan
Hooked

Yeah I tried that, the laptop won't accept any USB device apart from a mouse or device authorised by IT dept, can't install anything on the laptop even drivers. Work phone is the same. Most of the functions of my work equipment have been turned off for security. Even the WiFi in both is very finicky about what it will connect to. Believe me I've tried everything I can. The only equipment I can use is the stuff provided by my IT dept and most of them are working remotely. I'm mostly just frustrated and venting here. I realise it can only happen so fast but I'm under pressure to have it fixed now.
rubix1942
Dabbler

Also regretted it.  I think the fact my last ISP was so good for so long I assumed they were all as good...i was wrong, 6 weeks of nothing but hassle and now no rewards card either.  Big mistake.  If anyone is thinking about switching to PlusNet DON'T.