cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about changing my broadband/call plan package

kmw350
Rising Star

Questions about changing my broadband/call plan package

My current package (unlimited fibre & Anytime calls), ends in February, & costs me just over £30 per month until end of contract.

I looked at the options available to change or renew my contract, and I see that I can have a new 18mth contract with Unlimited Fibre extra and keep my anytime contract, for a total of around £32 per month.

But I have a few questions:

1) If I upgrade to the Unlimited Fibre Extra, is my current Hub One Router still ok, or would I need a new one?

2) Am I likely to see a rise in speeds? I currently get around 35+ DL speed, but the fibre does not reach all the way to my house - it is a few hundred yards away with the last stretch via standard telephone line. (I'm not too worried if I don't see much change in this, as it is still a good fixed price for 18 mths).

3) Am I right that my cost would then be fixed for the full 18mths? i.e. without any of the CPI+3.9% rises?

The reason I query this is that, when I started going through the upgrade process, the conditions on the final order page clearly state that I am agreeing to annual rises: 

Quote:

'You understand that the price for broadband, line rental, call plans, call charges and add-ons will be increased on or after 1st March every year from March 2022 by the Consumer Price Index rate of inflation published in January of that year plus 3.9%.

Other prices, content and terms may also change during your contract. We'll tell you about important changes in advance and if a change is detrimental you'll be able to end your contract without any fees'.

4) Finally, apart from the obvious loss of a couple of months of my current contract, is there any negative to choosing this upgrade now while the offer is available?

Thank you for any advice or answers.

2 REPLIES 2
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

Re: Questions about changing my broadband/call plan package

@kmw350 

Can't answer everything but here's a couple of responses.

The HubOne works on ADSL, FTTC and FTTP so no problems with the upgrade. However, a new HubTwo is due out soon so if you wait till February you'd probably be able to get that when re-contracting. I suspect it won't be handed out willy nilly. The HubTwo is basically a re-badged BT SmartHub2 (with minor modifications I believe).

If you went through the upgrade process on-line I believe it should have told you what speeds to expect. For a general figure you could have a look at the following. It gives high / low figures for your line.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Brian

kmw350
Rising Star

Re: Questions about changing my broadband/call plan package

Thanks for the reply. I think I've answered the other questions myself. The guide is far from clear, but it looks like the CPI+3.9% applies to everyone now, so no  truly 'fixed contracts' any more. But still, it's worth it for the price, even taking into account the estimated annual rises.