Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with getting setup

FIXED
emdawn90
Dabbler

Problems with getting setup

Hello,

My husband and I recently moved house. The new house we moved into had an active line with BT.

We decided to go with Plusnet (for the first time) as the Mbps was the best we could get for the semi rural area.

We applied on the 18th January, subsequently getting an activation date for the 3rd Feb confirmed by telephone.

Routed arrived on 2nd Feb and 3rd Feb came and no communications recieved so called to find out what was happening. Was informed there was a delay but the reason was not known but the agent would raise with the supplier (assuming open reach) and get back to us on Monday.

I highlighted that we are working from home and currently unable to work (or communicate with the outside world), without travelling to get signal on phone network signal. Advised no way to speed up and unfortunately this is the way it is.

This morning I recieved an email from plusnet saying 'thank you for cancelling your phone service' or similar. We did not cancel anything so this was confusing. We phoned again and this time was advised that a common issue, whereby the order that went to the supplier had not been acted on and was in limbo, meaning the best course of action was to submit a brand new order to the supplier or risk it taking even longer. The advisor was very nice and understanding but did confirm that there was no gaurantee that this would work and that I could end up in the same position.

I just cannot understand how this can be accepted in this day and age. We are desperate for internet, both working at home (not through choice) in public sector roles which means we effectively cannot work without internet. Has anyone else experienced anything similar recently and did you eventually get internet? Is there anything I can be doing to help the process?

32 REPLIES 32
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Problems with getting setup

Hi @emdawn90

I'm really sorry for the delay & issues with activating your broadband at your new house.

I can definitely appreciate how hard it'd be without internet while trying to work from home.

I've looked into this for you and I can see that our order to takeover the active line at your property was cancelled due to what can only be described in its simplest form as a supplier system error, so we've had to replace the order. 

Unfortunately the replacement order is also stuck in the systems and I've spent some time discussing this with our suppliers helpdesk, who have advised they've passed it across to their systems support team to investigate.

However, even when that order is progressed along, it'll take a minimum of 10 working days as we can't speed up the time it takes to transfer an active line from another provider, due to regulations, so I've arranged for us to place an order to install a new line, which will entail an engineer visit to connect a separate line & fibre service. 

Once we've received a confirmed appointment date which should be within 24-48 hours, I'll make sure we request it's fast-tracked for the soonest possible. If there are any days within the next week you can't be in for a visit, let me know. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
emdawn90
Dabbler

Hi @Gandalf

Thanks for responding. I can be available at anytime for the new line and whatever solution gets us internet the soonest would be ideal. Thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem, I've put a cancellation request on the stuck working line takeover order now and I'll let you know once we've progressed & expedited the new line installation.

[edit]

Looks like the cancellation request somehow prodded the systems into place and the working line takeover order is now no longer stuck and confirmed for the 21st February.

I can't reverse the cancellation so it should be cancelled down within 24-48 hours and a new line installation would likely be quicker given that I'm going to request it's expedited. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
emdawn90
Dabbler

These systems sound very strange! I suppose since there is no way to reverse there is little
option but I would have preferred no additional drilling etc in the new house if there was no benefit of it being done sooner. Fingers crossed the expedited process can be achieved.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It's highly unlikely the engineer will need to drill holes as they should be able to re-use your existing telephone socket & wiring when connecting up the spare line from the exchange. I should have an update on the order for you tomorrow Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
emdawn90
Dabbler

Ah ok that’s good to know, thanks
emdawn90
Dabbler

A few emails today.
Email 1 : transfer to plusnet to happen on 21/2
Email 2 : engineer activating home phone on 23/2
Email 3 : appointment to install changed to 23/2
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The first email would be on the back of the transfer order I’ve cancelled, the second two e-mails would be for the new line installation order. 

When I’m in the office tomorrow, I’ll submit a fast track request to bring the appointment forward. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
emdawn90
Dabbler

Thanks @Gandalf
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem, I've submitted the expedite request first thing this morning and I'm just waiting to hear back. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @emdawn90

We've brought forward the appointment and I've e-mailed you confirmation under the ticket ref 221716344 of when that'll be. 

Let me know how it goes.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
emdawn90
Dabbler

Hi @Gandalf , not received an email just yet. Should I have?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @emdawn90

You should have received an e-mail, but you can also check the ticket logged on your account Here.

Let me know if you need any further help.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
emdawn90
Dabbler

@Gandalf an engineer from open reach came this morning. They started working on the box internally and I asked whether they were installing a new line. They said no they were taking over the existing line. I explained the issues to date and that I was told a new line was needed but they said they didn’t have any of this from plusnet. They’ve just left after they weren’t able to do whatever it was they were doing and have said another engineer will be back at 1pm to fix something ‘under the ground’. I just wanted to flag this and ask you what your thoughts are on them saying a new line has not been requested?