Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem With Fibre Extra Upgrade

FIXED
OhItsTom
Dabbler

Problem With Fibre Extra Upgrade

(For plusnet employees: Please do not attempt to ring to try and resolve this question, both primary holders of this account have no idea about technology, and i feel extremely uncomfortable talking on the phone. Sorry!)

Hello,

having recently upgraded to fibre extra following the assumed fix of my previous slow fibre. There appears to be an issue with my order, upon logging in i keep getting an error that says "You cannot make any changes to your account while there is a phone order in progress."

My member centre says i have the fibre extra and also reads my line speed at Product: Unlimited Fibre Extra
Estimated Download Range: 31 - 42Mbps
Estimated Upload Range: 5 - 7Mbps
Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 27.3Mbps
Current Line Speed (Download): 80Mbps
Which is as expected of fibre extra!

however doing any speed tests and checking the router im only actually receiving
Downstream: 37.78 Mbps
Upstream: 7.325 Mbps

Just wondering if maybe something has broken with my profile?

Thank you!

Tags (4)
10 REPLIES 10
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Problem With Fibre Extra Upgrade

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to My Order.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@OhItsTom  from your email

"Estimated Download Range: 31 - 42Mbps
Estimated Upload Range: 5 - 7Mbps"

And your speed tests show that is the speeds you are getting. There is no point in upgrading to Fibre Extra as your line cannot support higher speeds.

The 80Mbps figure is just your PN profile, not a speed of your line.

You will only get higher speeds if you move closer to the cabinet or when you can get FTTP Fibre to The Premices.

OhItsTom
Dabbler

Our cabinet is across the road....

also in the past when we have had problems with our speeds, once fixed our line speed value also went up to match it, so i dont think that its only showing what i should be getting.

for example my line value used to be 16mb, and once openreach fixed the problem with the cabinet it shot up to 32. 

Mustrum
Community Veteran

OK, then post the results after putting your phone number in the BTW DSL checker. This will show what your line is capable of. Make sure you hide your phone number.

OhItsTom
Dabbler

image.png

If i had to make a guess as to what one you mean, fttp on demand is 330 down and 50 up.
Just incase its not i've attatched an image.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

FTTP on demand is more of a business product and will cost lots to install. 

But as per my earlier post, your line is only capable of 46Mbps at the most - VDSL line.

You are getting speeds within your estimates as per my first post.

OhItsTom
Dabbler

I've never gotten about 35mbps tbh, also do areas ever get updated cabling then? because 35mbps is borderline unusable in this day and age

Mustrum
Community Veteran

I refer you back to your first post.

Most of the country may eventually get fibre, but quite frankly you are doing something wrong if you can't cope with 35Mbps.  

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@OhItsTom wrote:

Our cabinet is across the road....

@OhItsTom 

Are you certain the cabinet across the road is the one you're connected to?

The information just above the table you've posted at #6 above will tell you which cabinet number you're connected to, and the number of the cabinet is usually marked somewhere on it - do they correspond?   

Note - the number will not be on the VDSL cabinet, but the original PCP (telephone cabinet).

The two cabinets are normally close to each other, within 50 metres,

If you are as close as you say, you might expect higher speeds, but with the caveat that the lines do not always take the shortest route to your premises, so your line could go a couple of hundred metres in another direction before going to your house. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Fix

Thanks for your post @OhItsTom and welcome to our Community Forums.

I'm sorry to see your speeds haven't improved following upgrading your fibre service.

While I agree with the above^ and I can see your speeds are within expectations for how long your line is to the cabinet (the green box in the road), our advanced testing (known as RRT internally) is showing a line issue impacting your service in some way, so we'd need to arrange another engineer visit to investigate further.

Can you reply to the ticket you've raised online Here with two or three timeslots when you'll be free for a visit? As you may know, the available timeslots are weekdays (and occasionally Saturday's) 8am while 1pm, or 1pm while 6pm. We'll then book the appointment for you as soon as we can.

I can't guarantee though your speeds will increase further when an engineer's resolved the line issue, so I'd like to offer you the opportunity to move back onto your previous fibre package and contract. If you'd like to go ahead, please let us know by replying to that ticket^ and we'll arrange this. Alternatively, I'd ask the account holder to call us on 0800 013 2632.

I've also taken a look into the "You cannot make any changes to your account while there is a phone order in progress." you're getting and I can see this is due to a stuck pending call feature, caller display that was requested to be added but hasn't activated with our suppliers. I've put steps in place to fix and I've added more information onto the ticket as I'm not overly comfortable sharing publicly as it involves other more specific aspects of your account. 

Your case handler should be getting back to you on Monday, but feel free to post back here if you need any further help. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet