cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Router?

cbcadmin
Grafter

Free Router?

Do Plusnet include a free router with their fibre products?

I ask because I saw somewhere that "if you choose one". I don't recall being asked about this, but then again the order page kept crashing! Sad

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - Vodafone FTTP via THG3000 & Three via ZTE MF286D

Previously - NowTV, John Lewis, Shell Energy, Plusnet, Sky, EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
21 REPLIES 21
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 268

Re: Free Router?

I'd try using a better connection. AIUI, there is the option to select a PN Hub2 on placing the order, but it is not mandatory to use one - if you already have your own fibre-capable kit, then you are free to use that.

John
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

You have to go out of your way not to select a router from memory i.e. remove it from your 'basket'. If you didn't, then I'd say it's fairly safe to say you will get sent one.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

cbcadmin
Grafter

Thank you. I wish I could remember where it said you need to request one.

Previously - NowTV, John Lewis, Shell Energy, Plusnet, Sky, EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
cbcadmin
Grafter

LOL. For once it was nothing to do with the quality of the connection. According to online chat it is a known problem. Sad But I *do* hope to have a better service going back to Plusnet. ;) Is the wifi side of a Plusnet router better than the one on the Vodafone one?

jab1
Legend

@cbcadmin wrote: Is the wifi side of a Plusnet router better than the one on the Vodafone one?

How the blazes do you expect me to know - I have never used whatever Vodafone supplied you with - or the Plusnet Hubs, come to that, but in any case Wi-Fi performance of any router is dependent on on many variable factors.

John
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@cbcadmin  WiFi inside your property is for you to sort, not the isp.

cbcadmin
Grafter

THG3000 as per my signature. As this is a forum I was asking generally not expecting you to know, but surprised you don't have any experience of the Plusnet hub, given you are on here with over 14k posts! John.

cbcadmin
Grafter

I was asking for information not asking for Plusnet to sort anything.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 86

If it helps my wireless analyser shows the following for the Hub Two

Min Rate 2.4GHz 7.2Mbps, 5GHz 32.5Mbps

Max Rate 2.4GHz 216Mbps, 5GHz 1730Mbps

More details here https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-information/ 

jab1
Legend

@cbcadmin wrote:
THG3000 as per my signature. As this is a forum I was asking generally not expecting you to know, but surprised you don't have any experience of the Plusnet hub, given you are on here with over 14k posts! John.

As this is a PLUSNET forum, only those who may have used the modem/router you mention would have been able to offer a comparison.

As I said, I have never used the Plusnet Hubs. When I joined, the only option connection-wise was ADSL, which suited my modest needs and I initially used my own Netgear DG934G modem/router, only switching to PN's TG582N when that kit began to die on me.

I was always on ADSL with PN, so had no need for a VDSL-capable Hub.

John
cbcadmin
Grafter

Man thanks.

cbcadmin
Grafter

I wish I could go back to ADSL. Unfortunately no one offers that in my area any more. Sad

jab1
Legend

No-one will. ADSL, along with FTTC is being replaced (by OpenReach) with FTTP, s that is what you will get.

John
cbcadmin
Grafter

So I understand. Doesn't make it right though.