cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP woes

dazgee1965
Grafter

FTTP woes

Firstly I would like to point out this is not generally Plusnets fault but there is an issue.

5 years ago when I moved into my place, with thanks to a Vermin media engineer who had poked the Openreach cable back through the hole in the wall, Openreach couldn't install FTTC for me.

After 8 weeks of going back and forth with BT and Openreach and after they finally had permission to dig up the path and lay the ducting I was finally connected.

Fast forward 5 years and I was chuffed when an Openreach engineer working here told me all the fibre had been laid.

I phoned Plusnet as I was planning to move to either BT or EE an as they had yet to offer FTTP plus as they are all part of the BT group, I wouldn't incur any financial cost for ceasing my FTTC contract with them.

I was quite surprised when the member of customer service told me that Plusnet were going to launch FTTP the following week.

So, a week later I called in and FTTP was sorted out to be installed on 28th June.

Fantastic I thought as the ducting is there it will be easy to do.

Now the fun begins again….

A Kelly Communications engineer arrive on the said date but he couldn’t run the cable through the duct as it seemed to be blocked so he did the wiring into my place and fitted the ONT.

Before he left, he reported the problem to Openreach and he actually called me back later that day and asked if I had been contacted by them to which I replied no.

So back on the phone to Plusnet and on Wednesday 29th, I was contacted by a member of customer service who explained that Openreach were aware of the block duct and it would take their civil engineer 48 hours to investigate and they told Plusnet they would contact them on Monday 4th July.

The CS also told me they would call me back today with and update and they also sent me a text telling me to reply if I needed anymore help.

So today arrived, no call from customer service and replying to the text was pointless as I just get a generic reply saying they are unable to find the details for my query.

On the phone to Plusnet only to be told it’s due to be done on the 19th July so I asked if that is the date the duct will be sorted out and will my FTTP go live on that date and I was told a firm yes.

This date of the 19th first appeared on Plusnets systems last week before Openreach had contacted them about the blocked duct.

So far Openreach civil engineers haven’t been over to look at the problem so there is a possibility they may have to get permission yet again to dig up the path yet again.

There is more chance of me winning the lottery than there is for Openreach getting permission and lay the ducting on before the 19th.

The odd thing it that the existing ducting only carries a copper cable to my place and no other property and the diameter of the ducting poking out at the front of mine is a decent size so I’m interested in what piece of matter is causing the problem.

It annoys me having to post this because beforehand, on the rare occasion I’ve had to call Plusnet customer service they have been fantastic.

I know their hands are tied by Openreach I understand this but is it really too much to ask them to keep a customer updated.

I find it frustrating the Vermin media could have me hooked up within 5 days and I am now seriously wondering if the 500mb service for them even at a fiver a month more would just make life easier.

23 REPLIES 23
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: FTTP woes

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Full Fibre to My Order

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Daz,

I'm really sorry for the delay with your order and we haven't explained things well. 

For FTTP orders, our suppliers would generally always make sure there's a next appointment date set, even if further work is required. In your case, if the duct work's not done by the 19th, then it's likely that the engineer visit will be delayed. 

Once we're in a position to arrange another engineer visit, our suppliers will endeavour to contact you to confirm that you'll be around, so that they're not just booking an appointment and hoping for the best!

I've escalated this with our suppliers to try to gain some traction and make sure they're working as quick as possible. 

Once we've got an update, we'll let you know via the support ticket raised on your account Here.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dazgee1965
Grafter

Thank you Anoush Mortazavi for the update.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem Daz, I haven't got an update yet from our suppliers but once I do, I'll let you know.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Our suppliers have advised me that civils engineers are due to go out by the close of play on 12.07.22. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

I seem to recall a recent thread where an OR ground works team went out to fix a blocked duct and promptly pushed a cable through without any other work being done. OR records are not the best.

Brian

dazgee1965
Grafter

Thank you for the update. I'm crossing everything in hope that they can clear the duct otherwise they'll have to get permission from the council to dig up the path yet again.
dazgee1965
Grafter

@bmc I'm hoping that is the case for me as well.
Knowing how long it took them to get permission from the council to dig up the path when I moved here added a further delay of 4-6 weeks.
I wasn't overly impressed with the Kelly Communications engineer who came here. The ONT is at angle on the wall and the fibre cable is very tight meaning it's pulling against the green connector cover.
He also seemed to be rushing himself and wouldn't surprise me if he made very little effort trying to get the cable through the duct.
I'm hoping it's an Openreach engineer who does the final connection so I can have a word about the internal cabling as with it being so tight I wouldn't be surprised if it snaps at some point.
dazgee1965
Grafter

So the doorbell rang this afternoon and to my surprise there was an Openreach chappie at the door.
He's got me booked in for the first job tomorrow and he was on the way to another job nearby and decided to take a quick look.
He tried a cable run and can feel the blockage but he seemed confident he'll be able to do it.
Fingers crossed.
bmc
Hero

@dazgee1965 

Well that's good news.

A bit late in the day but did you look at the Checker shown below. Below the results there is a narrative that will say something about FTTP. Among other things it'll say if problems are anticipated.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Brian

dazgee1965
Grafter

@bmc
The only thing I noticed is on the right it states FTTP install process 1 stage.
I'm assuming that relates to the ONT install and cabling which has been done.
bmc
Hero

@dazgee1965 

Look down below the results window at the narrative.

There should be a line on FTTP.

Brian

bmc
Hero

@dazgee1965 

A bit of background.

In the early days, an FTTP install was a two stage process. The fibre cable was run to the premise and left in an external Customer Splice Point box (CSP). Then an appoinment was booked for the house install. This shows up on the Checker as 2 Stage. It depends on when and what type of DP was installed.

OR then moved to a one stage install. A few years back the cable was run from the Distribution Point to the premise, into the house and the ONT installed. This was aroung the time OR introduced "Connectorized" cables - one end already had a plug fitted which connected to the DP.

At some point since OR re-introduced the CSP box on the external wall but it's still usually done with one visit - unless OR find or expect problems.

Brian

dazgee1965
Grafter

@bmc

I finally found what you meant 😊

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG premises served by 2.5 Inch plastic duct 56.

FTTP is available and a new ONT may be ordered.

I just previously presumed that the run from the Openreach junction box to the CSP was 1 stage and the run to the ONT would be stage 2.