Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP install

FIXED
thefrozennorth
Hooked
Fixes: 1

FTTP install

Today was to be the momentus one where I got my FTTP installed.

Took the day off work and because I am pretty rural I though I might as well start doing some of the digging having seen the engineers install my neighbours recently.

In the end I did all the digging and the engineers never showed up.

Date selecteded a month in advance and no contact from plusnet since. Surveyor came out and confirmed plan for for install and confirmed date for install.

Plusnet agent after a 45 minute wait today very nice but advises that their system states that they will get a date from the engineer 27.12.22. They further state they never confirmed the date.

16 REPLIES 16
thefrozennorth
Hooked

Re: FTTP install

Any suggestions beyond just filling back in what I dug up?

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

Personally, if I had dug a trench with a hope of having a telco install in it, I would put down some 50mm diameter tube and some rope through the tube. You could then refill the hole.

It would then be posssible to use the tube (which I assume is on your land) to do the subsequent install.

I am the satisfied customer....
thefrozennorth
Hooked

Thank you Mark.

Any recommendations on what to use and where to get it?

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Full Fibre to My Order

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

I'm not an expert on the "correct" tubing and I don't know what the Openreach surveyor intended (it might have been putting some kind of external grade fibre directly in the ground or something more like a duct) but if you are essentially providing it on your land for Openreach to use then something intended for drains and suitable for use in the ground from a builders yard would be my approach.

In the street, Telco tubing is often green but as it is on your land, as long as Openreach are happy to use it I would think you have some choice.

If you have the phone number of the Openreach surveyor (and the call didn't come from the standard 0800 number that you can't call back) then you could try asking if they have a preferred size and type.

If I had dug a trench I would try putting something in it before filling it up again! 

I am the satisfied customer....
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@thefrozennorth wrote:

Any recommendations on what to use and where to get it?

@thefrozennorth 

Here's one of a couple of links I had saved (the other no longer seems to be working);

BT TELECOMS DUCTING

There are probably others.

HTH

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@thefrozennorth 

Any internet search should give you OR ducting information. I think their smaller size is 56mm diameter.

Builders merchants or DIY store should have the required duct. Problem might be transporting it home. You could take a saw and a tape measure and cut it up at the car. You would then need coupling joints as well.

Make sure it goes in the ground at an angle to allow water to drain and tape off the ends to stop earth getting in. You could leave a draw rope (especially if tight for space at the ends) but the OR engineer should have rodding equipment.

Brian

thefrozennorth
Hooked

Thank you all for your help and advice.

Ducting in and trench filled back up.I used twin walled HDPE ducting with a 50mm internal diameter and 63mm external diameter from a local supplier. Pre-installed drawcord still seems to be running so fingers crossed that I do not need to dig it all back up!

Still awaiting confirmation of a new date for my install.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Hi @thefrozennorth

I can see our suppliers have advised that external work is still ongoing and we should have a further update in the next week or so.

We'll be in touch as soon as we know more

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
thefrozennorth
Hooked

Hello Matthew.

While I would like to report a resounding success story I cannot.

I remain very grateful to those above who advised laying the conduit.

I still await a date for my install.

Any recommendations for progressing things gratefully received.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, I'm really sorry that the external work hasn't been dealt with yet. Unfortunately such things are subject to considerable delays at the moment and we're working with Openreach to bring the wait times down, they're also taking on extra contractors at present. 

I've chased this for you and we've been given a review date of 24/1/23 for this, we'll check back on it then for you and apologies again for the long wait. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
thefrozennorth
Hooked

Hello Adam.

Thank you for your message.

My work commitments are set months in advance.

The original date was selected for that reason.

Similarly despite giving a list of availability the only offer since was for a date not on the list.

How do I as a customer interact productively with the contractors scheduling team?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, I understand and I'm sorry for any frustration this might be causing. It's not something a customer could speak with Openreach about as we need to communicate with them for you. 

It's best to consider things open ended with this at the moment and we'll keep chasing the order on our side and keep you updated,

Adam

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
thefrozennorth
Hooked

Openreach's contractor has now confirmed Tuesday 24th January as the date for install.