Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation date issue

FIXED
TheBlueDog

Activation date issue

Good morning,

I posted a few weeks ago regarding my order which had got stuck in the system and not processed properly until I flagged it up on here. Following this my previous provider gave me a date of today for switchover of my phone line, and a little while later plusnet sent me a text saying my broadband would be activated tomorrow.

Today my Internet has gone down first thing this morning so I wondered if this was the switchover. I've tried my plusnet router to see if it has switched but it cannot connect to the Internet using my username and password. However, it was using a plus net setup user name / password and connects using this (but Internet does not work apart from Google that I've found so far). It seems to show the correct line speed etc for my new broadband. So based on this I'm hopeful it is in the process of switching but not completed - however, I am concerned that I was given tomorrow's date previously and would like to check whether my switch is in fact happening today.

Thanks,

David
5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

Re: Activation date issue

@TheBlueDog 

The way that a new service works is that initially Openreach will activate the line. At this point the hub will synchronise with the broadband infrastructure and you may (or may not) get connected at slow speed. The reason for this is that Plusnet have not activated the service at their end. The way that it’s supposed to work is:

1. The Openreach installation is completed
  2. Plusnet are advised.
  3. Plusnet set up the account and advise the customer that they can now connect their hub. This can take up until midnight on the go live day.
  4. The hub autoconfigures by changing the hubs default username and password to the customers personal settings.

This can go wrong.

What to do in these circumstances.

1. Try a factory reset of the hub by pushing a paperclip or similar in to the reset hole and hold the switch closed for about 30 seconds.
  2. Leave it 10 minutes or so and see if that fixes it,

If that doesn’t work:

1. Log in to the hub by putting 192.168.1.254 in the address field of your web browser.
  2. On the broadband page (I think, you may need to look through the pages to find it, depending on which hub you have) you should find the username. If it’s setup@plusdsl.net then it hasn’t configured itself.
  3. Remove the DSL cable.
  4. Change the username to your account username in the form <username>@plusdsl.net.
  5. Enter your account password.
  6. Plug the DSL cable back in.
  7. If it doesn’t try to connect select Connect (again you may need to look through he pages to find it).

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

however, I am concerned that I was given tomorrow's date previously

That usually means by 00:00 tomorrow i.e as @Baldrick1 says , anytime up to midnight today. Confusing isnt it ...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Fix

Hello @TheBlueDog

Thanks for reaching out. The orders which I placed a couple of weeks ago are committed to complete today, though this can take anytime up until midnight. You should receive comms which let you know when each service has gone live, the phone service will always be first.

I'm around until 20:30 today, so if you haven't heard anything by this evening, give me a shout and I'll look into it.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
TheBlueDog

Thanks for the replies - Service went live this evening and all is good. Had 12 or 13 hours without internet but all seems up and running now!
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks for letting us know @TheBlueDog 

Yeah this is why we have to advise customers that it can take up to midnight for the service with us to go live. Once Openreach complete the practical work, it's then down to BT Wholesale to trigger what we call the KCI3, which activates the component on our end.

Glad that's all sorted for you though, give us a shout if you have any further queries going forward. Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds