cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refund of unnecessary installation charge

jsscbyrn

Refund of unnecessary installation charge

Hello,

I signed up with Plusnet broadband and was charged £49.99 as an installation charge, as the line into my flat had been disconnected in error at the time, and I was switching due to my previous provider's slowness in correcting this.

The line is now working and I have received confirmation that an engineer appointment to install a line is not necessary. Can this £49.99 therefore please be refunded?

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Re: Refund of unnecessary installation charge

Hi there, jsscbyrn,

Thanks for getting in touch, I appreciate your query.

The installation charge is payable to Openreach as they have to attend at exchange and broadband cabinet to fit in the Plusnet wires and remove the previous provider's even where there is no installation required at home. The charge is therefore applicable and is advised at the outset.

Thanks - LF

jsscbyrn

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

My line had been disconnected in error at the time when I agreed to pay the charge: I do have a working line, it just could not be detected at the time when I signed up. Could you please confirm if you have checked whether the current line into my hone can be used? My current provider have confirmed that the same line is being taken over. Thank you
LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi there @jsscbyrn,

Thanks for coming back to me.

I've checked your line using Openreach's provisioning tools and the master socket is showing power so you will have a dial tone, so technically it is a 'working line' as opposed to a 'stopped line' or 'spare pair'.

To clarify, this in practice means the engineer does not need to come to your house however he or she will need to visit and carry out the work at the local BT exchange and the green cabinet, to physically remove the old cabling for the previous provider and fit cables for Plusnet. The line does not belong to us at present as the current cables and configuration are for the previous provider. Hence the installation charge covers the cost of the engineer work that is required and is still applicable.

There is still a possibility that if the line is showing any deterioration or does not return the engineer's signal on the day, a home visit may still come about if the procedures require it. The engineer may therefore still need to contact you if this happens..

Thanks - Tahir