cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving pn and final bills

knucklemoto
Hooked

Leaving pn and final bills

Hi all, thanks in advance for any help... I've been looking through the forum and gone through pn emails but not found the answer....

We have been pn customers for many years primarily as it has been the cheapest provider, but not a reliable service, with drop out and lag pretty much every day. This year however FTTP has become available in our street, and with my wife working from home we want to upgrade. As pn do not offer it, and given our experience of poor supply, we have today signed a contract with Sky for fibre broadband. Our neighbour made the swap a few months ago and the difference is night and day.

Our pn contract ends on the 7th of october, and the BT engineer comes to do the cable etc on the 12th of october, my questions are:

Do I need to inform pn?

Will the internet access cease on the 7th or continue until swap over is complete? If so will I be charged a full month for the broadband or is it pro rata?

Thanks for any advice, much appreciated.

Matt.

7 REPLIES 7
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Leaving pn and final bills

@knucklemoto You do not need to inform PN - that is up to Sky, as the 'Gaining Provider'. I think the service should continue to the 12th, when you are disconnected from the FTTC cabinet, and you will incur a small 'out of contract' charge - but I can't guarantee that is correct, it is just my interpretation of the 'rules'

John
knucklemoto
Hooked

Thanks John, I think so too but need clarification.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@jab1  as this is FTTP it is not gaining provider unless the OP has asked to transfer the phone number. 

@knucklemoto  your internet will continue after the 7th, but prices will be as what they told you when you took out the contract. 

If you are transferring your phone number to Sky, your PN service should stop on the day of transfer. If not then I beleive you need to give 30 days notice.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Sorry for the incorrect info, @knucklemoto  - @Mustrum is correct in what he says.

John
knucklemoto
Hooked

Not a problem John, thanks.

knucklemoto
Hooked

I hadn't thought to ask to transfer my landline number as I never use it, in fact I forgot I had one. By asking to transfer it does this change the status or type of transfer? Would it incur any extra fees or take longer? 

Thanks for the input so far, very appreciated.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

You are not transferring anything at present. You are starting a new service, and stopping an old one as they are delivered over different methods/physical lines.

I believe Sky provide a phone service via VOIP, ie a digital service via the router, you would need to ask them how much and so on - but as you don't use the phone why would you bother?