cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP being installed now but need to keep landline - not worried about my IP address changing.

FIXED
robsinglehurst
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Re: FTTP being installed now but need to keep landline - not worried about my IP address changing.

From those stats then would it be just more sense to accept PNs upgrade offer?
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 278

Re: FTTP being installed now but need to keep landline - not worried about my IP address changing.

@robsinglehurst Which Hub/router are you using? Your speed is below the Hand back threshold, so we need to do some investigation.

John
jab1
Legend

@robsinglehurst wrote:
From those stats then would it be just more sense to accept PNs upgrade offer?

No, we need to investigate why your speed is below the acceptable.

John
robsinglehurst
Grafter

Currently using a BT Smart Hub 6 setup with my Plusnet login info but frequently have to power cycle it. The Plusnet Hub One has about the same reliability.
jab1
Legend

OK. I don't know the BT 6, but can you provide the details requested in the script below?

For Community members to be able to help, information from these sites, as screenshots, posted as pictures within the topic, not as attachments:-

BT Broadband Availability Checker (obscuring your phone number), where a landline phone is no longer supplied or known use the address version BT Broadband Address Availability (obscuring your address)

BTW Performance Tester - Over a wired (Ethernet) connection if at all possible, please report the 'ADDITIONAL DIAGNOSTICS'. This test is recommended to be performed with only one device connected.

Sight of the broadband connection status from your Hub (with the 'Username' obscured) would also be of help.

For the Hub One -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Troubleshooting > Helpdesk

For the Hub Two -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information

Where the phone line is still active, it may also be a good idea to report the results of a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 option 2 from a (preferably corded) phone. After the confirmation of your phone number, there should be total silence apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement. Any other noise - report a PHONE fault first.

If you are unsure about any of the above, please just ask - I am happy to help.

John
Hannah4

Hi Rob, I think you mean Phonely.co.uk They are only £9.97 per month for unlimited calls. 

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 58

@Hannah4 

What is called "Fibre" is actually FTTC - the fibre optic cable is run to the Cabinet and then uses the copper cable to reach your house. You're being offered the same connection but without the phone service. The OR product used for this is known as SOGEA.

"Full Fibre" is where they run a fibre optic cable direct to your house. It not only bypasses the Cabinet but may go nowhere near your current Exchange - it runs direct to a major Exchange that has an "internet Head End" (the connection to the wider web).

Virgin are building their own network. If you wish to get a service from them when it's live then it's totally separate from your PN service. Indeed, you'd be running two accounts until such time as you cancelled PN (with any associated early termination changes).

Brian

HPsauce
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@robsinglehurst said "Currently using a BT Smart Hub 6 setup with my Plusnet login info but frequently have to power cycle it."

Frequent power cycling can be seen as a fault which will restrict speed, that could be the core of your slow speed problem. A router would not normally need to be power cycled to overcome a line issue so this suggests your router is more likely the issue.

And "The Plusnet Hub One has about the same reliability." however I'd revert to using that as PN are much more likely to take note of the stats from it and take action if needed.

robsinglehurst
Grafter

Hi John,

Sorry for the delay, I was hunting around for a Cat5 cable. Here are the results. Just a laptop plugged into 1 network socket (Plusnet Hub One), 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz WiFi turned off.

I ran the 17070 Quiet Line 2 test and the line is quiet - we only have a Panasonic DECT cordless unfortunately.

Guessing there is something not quite right......

Screenshot 2024-05-20 104544.jpg

jab1
Legend

Cheers, @robsinglehurst . As you have the Hub one connected, can you please post the broadband connection status - navigate to the Help Desk page, but remember to obscure your username.

John
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 58

Sorry about this - I tagged a post earlier with @Hannah4  when it appears it should have been @robsinglehurst 

Brian

robsinglehurst
Grafter

Hi jab1, here it is 😊Screenshot 2024-05-20 114440.jpg

jab1
Legend

Not quite what I was looking for, @robsinglehurst - it is the Hep Desk page which gives the information   we need. It is on the 'Troubleshooting' tab.

John
robsinglehurst
Grafter

Hi John,

Sorry about that!!🤣

1-22.jpg23-25.jpg

jab1
Legend

@robsinglehurst Thanks. If your phone line is silent on the test, I suggest you report a broadband fault via https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/ - your downstream noise margin is elevated, indicating an OR network issue.

John