Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi calling

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: WiFi calling

Is your phone connected to your router? Wirelessly, that is.

John
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@CoolerKing - perhaps a silly question, but I assume Wi-Fi calling is enabled on the handset?

Settings > Network & Interenet > SIMs > Network Provider

On that page there will be an indicator as to whether or not Wi-Fi calling is currently being used (this is not indicative of whether or not it is enabled but may offer some clues): -

Screenshot_20221115-171337.png

And if you tap that, it will take you t the page where the service can be enabled/disabled: -

Screenshot_20221115-171306.png

There is no restriction on either the Hub One or the Plusnet broadband network that would prevent the use of Wi-Fi calling. In fact, EE Wi-Fi calling traffic is explicitly prioritised on a Hub One.

Whilst I've not seen either cause problems in the past, my only other suggestion would be to try disabling the Plusnet Safeguard and Firewall services if you have either of them enabled: -

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/how-to-use-plusnet-safeguard/
https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/about-plusnets-broadband-firewall/

If non of that bears fruit, then I imagine it's either a handset/Android issue or an issue EE's side. You could potentially narrow this down if you had access to another Wi-Fi calling enabled handset you could try from.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@CoolerKing 

When you say that your phone works with WiFi, what do you mean? Are you confusing connecting to the Internet with WiFi? 
Try switching off Mobile in you phone settings and see if you can still connect to the Internet. If you can’t your phone is not paired with your Plusnet hub.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

CoolerKing
Grafter

Other phones are the same.
jab1
Legend

Sorry to repeat the question, but you haven't answered it - are the phones connected to your network (router)?

John
CoolerKing
Grafter

I asked you in what way.
CoolerKing
Grafter

This came up earlier in respect of WiFi calling on the phone seeing even a small signal. I switched off EE connection on my phone then tried a phone call and it worked.

I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Thanks for the replies everyone.👍
jab1
Legend

See @Mustrum 's reply #22 and @bobpullen 's #32

John
anniesboy
Rising Star

Pulsnet mobile may use EE platform but the service is not the same. Recently my wife and I were on holiday in Devon.

She has her mobile with EE and could get a signal whilst I with Pnet could not

Baldrick1

@CoolerKing wrote:
This came up earlier in respect of WiFi calling on the phone seeing even a small signal. I switched off EE connection on my phone then tried a phone call and it worked.

I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Thanks for the replies everyone.👍

So it looks like this problem is centred around the point at which the phone switches from mobile to WiFi calling.  It suggests that the problem is caused by the phone hanging on to the mobile signal at too low a level.

It might be interesting to see when it’s in this hanging on to a low mobile signal at home what happens if you switch the phone off. Does it reconnect to the low mobile signal or go straight to WiFi calling when you switch back on?

Moderator and Customer

CoolerKing
Grafter

In all the years this has been happening, I never thought to do this. My wife and I have been in contact with EE and visited the shop a few times. Factory reset phones, new sims, every possible scenario except turning off EE when at home. After years of excuses, EE finally admitted defeat in not only our area being a dead spot but also my son's in Chappleford Warrington. I'm sure there's many other dead spots nationwide. Why did they stop the boosters, I wonder.
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@CoolerKing 

Possibly a tad inconvenient, but a workaround whilst at home with a strong WiFi signal might be to enable 'Flight mode', then switch WiFi back on.  That's possible on Android but IDK about iPhone.

Baldrick1

@RobPN 

Excellent idea. There should be no need to switch the WiFi on and off, just leave it on. I suspect it’s just the case of dropping the mobile connection for a short period, just long enough for the phone to reset itself and start looking at the options.

Moderator and Customer

Stewey

Hi,

I've followed the thread and it answers the fundamentals around WIFI calling that I have been searching for but could not find elsewhere, thank you .  Forgive my naivety, but would WIFI calling enable me to receive calls as well i.e. If I have poor mobile signal where I live and I use WIFI calling to make all my outgoing calls from my mobile... will my mobile also automatically receive calls via my WIFI to my mobile if someone rings me?

Many thanks in advance.

CoolerKing
Grafter

Yes, because your phone is connected to your router via WiFi. I believe that many people think they're WiFi connected with WiFi calling but actually aren't. Seems to be in my case as my phone was saying WiFi calling was enabled but when EE went totally down it wouldn't work until I switched off connection on my phone to EE...