Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UK Emergency Alert 23rd April - No Notification

FIXED
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 260

Re: UK Emergency Alert 23rd April - No Notification

@xswitchback If you are a PN Mobile customer, however, you wouldn't be on Wi-Fi calling - they do not offer that facility.

John
Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

@xswitchback 

"I was at home and connected to Wi-Fi during the rollout test. I have no idea if my calls were, however."

If you are connected for WiFi Calling, your phone will have a symbol at the top of the scrren, between the WiFi and mobile signal strength ones that looks like a telephone handset radiating.

xswitchback
Grafter

That's definitely a hard no then. I don't have Wi-Fi calling. I am on a 4G 30 day contract with Plusnet if that matters. I'm starting to think it's a government/EE botch at this point. I can't be the only one.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 21

Even if you're on a 4G contract, that will be the best you can get.  If the 4G signal isn't great but a decent 3G signal is available, your phone may switch to 3G (unless you've specifically locked it to 4G in your phone settings).  It was that scenario which I was pondering just before.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

xswitchback
Grafter

Possibly. Thing is, I was with my partner when the alert went off. Theirs went off without issue while mine didn't. That suggests there was a 4G signal in our area. Why would their phone pick up and trigger the alert but mine didn't, unless the network provided to me was poorer than the one they had? If the 4G was worse in our area, both of our phones would have reverted to 3G and that didn't happen.

Our phones are similar, they have a Samsung Galaxy S10e. From what you describe, poor network provider seems to be the case.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 21

Fix

It does happen (at least to me and my wife)!  We're both on iPhones with O2.  Mine is a little newer than hers, but not by too much.  Both on the same version of iOS.  There's times when one will be on a good 3G signal and the other pretty much next to it will be on 4G.  30 seconds later without moving location they might have both gone onto the same, or switched.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

There has to be something in this 3G/4G theory - my friend's phone (Galaxy A12, Android 12) uses the O2 network and failed to receive the alert.

Doable, but not an easy task forcing that particular model to only use 4G, and not necessarily something you would actually want to do just to find out that a giant meteorite is hurtling towards you at a thousand mph! ☠️

xswitchback
Grafter

Well, I guess that's that. Sounds like a network issue from hopping to and fro G's. Sounds solid to me in reasoning and explains why some people got the alert and others didn't despite same software versions and hardware models.

Not exactly an efficient rollout since there's a significant amount of the population who use 3G and below still, even if it's most likely a minority.

Thanks for all your answers. It's not like I want an emergency situation or anything but it would still be nice to be told about one. I'll have to wait and see what answers crop up since I know other networks are looking into it.