cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim only closing down? I’ve only just joined!

Silverglades

Sim only closing down? I’ve only just joined!

Hello,
I’m new to Plusnet Mobile today, having bought a 30-day Sim and ported my number across. And I’ve just read that Plusnet will no longer be doing sim-only contracts! So have I basically switched providers for one month, after which, I’ll need to switch to someone else?
35 REPLIES 35
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 411

Re: Sim only closing down? I’ve only just joined!

I’ve just read that Plusnet will no longer be doing sim-only contracts! 

where ? and did it say when ?

Yes there have been rumours but AFAIK nothing concrete has been stated

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

There is a statement from Plusnet that is reported on ISPReview this morning. Plusnet will sell SIM plans until the end of March, and will contact existing customers to tell them what will happen in due course.

Moderators: This should be moved to the Mobile forum.

Silverglades

Not only do MSE say there are no longer any Plusnet Sim-only deals but there’s an announcement when I first open the Plusnet app - says they’ve made some changes to the app & will no longer be offering sim-only. It does say current customers will be able to continue but, as I’ve only joined today, on a 30-day sim, I wonder for how long.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

If you go to the Plusnet mobile website as a new customer it redirects to the EE mobile site, I expect at some unspecified point existing customers will have to move to EE or elsewhere. I never used Plusnet mobile, no Wi-Fi calling was the deal breaker.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 81

I wonder which product/service is next for sun setting? 

Not that many left, BT sport is likely to go mid year, no business accounts, no landline phone for Full Fibre customers, no mobile phone.

All is left is broadband 🤔

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 260

Good point, @Dan_the_Van - Glad I've gone. 😀

John
newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

"If you go to the Plusnet mobile website as a new customer it redirects to the EE mobile site, I expect at some unspecified point existing customers will have to move to EE or elsewhere."

Possibly following in the footsteps of BT Mobile. If selecting "SIM only deals" as a BT Broadband customer it's a redirect to EE.

Copy and paste from BT

"BT and EE have joined forces to offer great EE phone deals. Going forwards we won’t be offering BT mobile plans to new customers. However, If you’re a BT broadband customer you get exclusive access to a range of exciting EE mobile plans."

corringham
Seasoned Champion

It seems that the cheapest deal that EE can offer me to replace my £8pm 30 day SIM-only plan is a £23pm SIM-only deal on a 24 month deal.

I must admit I'm not greatly tempted!

corringham
Seasoned Champion

To follow up on my previous post - thanks to someone on ISPReview, I have just discovered RWG mobile. They are an EE MVNO like Plusnet, except they are cheaper. I currently pay for 3 Plusnet SIMs, and I can match my current deal (although reducing data allowance for one of them) and reduce the total cost from £22pm to £15pm.

For light users they have a 250min, 250 text, 2GB data per month on a 24 month deal for £35 - that is a one-off payment of £35 that covers the whole 24 months!  

ColinXSD
Dabbler

I just heard the bad news having just switched one of my phones to Plusnet from EE, I was planning to swap my other phone to EE next week (when it is out of contract), called Plusnet today to be told I can't.
To make matters worse I am in the middle of switching Broadband from Sky to Plusnet (should complete by the end of the month).
I had hoped to have all my Phones and Broadband in one place, where do I go now Plusnet?

Colin.

ColinXSD
Dabbler

EE do a 10Gb SIM only plan for £10 a month (what I am on now with my other phone) and that plan is currently still available.
I might have to see if I can switch back to EE and then also see if I can switch the Broadband to EE as well once the switch from Sky is complete, according to EE I can't do that before without losing my landline number.

Colin.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 411

and then also see if I can switch the Broadband to EE as well once the switch from Sky is complete,

Be careful, you'll likely get stung with Early Tremination Charges (ETC) if you switch out before the end of the contract

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

corringham
Seasoned Champion

@ColinXSD wrote:

EE do a 10Gb SIM only plan for £10 a month (what I am on now with my other phone) and that plan is currently still available.

I can't see any offers that good on EE's SIM only page - the cheapest new customer deal is £15 for 1GB. For existing customers that is reduced to £9.60.  Both are restricted to 25Mbps.

I'm going to try RWG Mobile.