Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile service will not change !

C1Rider
Grafter

Re: Mobile service will not change !

Dan_the_Van,

You have summed it up nicely, a simple yes or no would suffice.

So his question is has plusnet/EE blocked IP protocol 4 (IPIP tunneling) on the 31.0.0.0/8 network?

Regards..

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

That makes it even stranger, @adamwalker - if C1Rider is attempting to connect to his home network using mobile data, then his IP (on the phones) should not even be in the Plusnet ranges?

John
C1Rider
Grafter

Adam,

I used " link " as none appears to like " ip protocol 4". No VPN in sight

Regards.

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

@jab1 

" if C1Rider is attempting to connect to his home network using mobile data, then his IP (on the phones) should not even be in the Plusnet ranges?"

I thought that @C1Rider was using Plusnet mobile, (and this thread is in the Mobile section), so why wouldn't they get a Plusnet IP address?

C1Rider
Grafter

Bob,

The loss of service yesterday on one of my phones lasted for around half and hour; the phone in question was on a 213 address and was changed to a 3 address, surely a dhcp renewal doesn't take half an hour ?

Regards..

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

OK, @Mr_Paul - hadn't thought of that, but must admit I've never really considered it, I've never really wondered what IP I get when using mobile data - will experiment next time I'm out and about with the iPad.

John
C1Rider
Grafter

Dan_the_Van,

tunnel set up at both ends using the  " new "  external ip address'

Regards..

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@C1Rider wrote:

The loss of service yesterday on one of my phones lasted for around half and hour; the phone in question was on a 213 address and was changed to a 3 address, surely a dhcp renewal doesn't take half an hour ?

No, I doubt it does, but there are myriad other reasons why your mobile data connection may have been interrupted and had cause for a different IP address to be issued.

I'm still unsure exactly what application on the smartphone (presumably) is initiating the tunnel and what purpose it's serving, but to answer the question: I am unaware of any intent to block or filter IP protocol 4 traffic.

With more information, you never know - somebody might be able to try replicating the issue? Another possible suggestion (although again, no idea if it's possible because I've no idea what you're doing) might be to use the smartphone as a hotspot when the issue is arising and see if a connection attempt can be emulated on a connected laptop or similar. You could then run a packet capture to see if it offers any clues as to what's happening.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

C1Rider
Grafter

Bob,

From what you are saying it appears that my loss of use is down to coincidence, it just happened at a dhcp expiry time.

re: capturing packets: I have a raspberrypi at the remote ( sim ) end and the tunnelling doesn't reach this end although it is correctly shown leaving the raspberrypi.

I can ssh into the raspberrypi from here and make " adjustments " so all is not lost.

In the meantime I have set up a udp link while I figure out how the tunnel is not working as I expect.

Thanks to you and everyone for their comments.

I'll go back under my stone !

Regards..