cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roadmap for IPV6

martinjlong1978

Roadmap for IPV6

Does Plusnet have a published roadmap for IPv6 yet? I cannot find one, and PN is not registered as a participant in the world IPv6 launch: http://www.worldipv6launch.org/participants/?q=2
Infuriatingly Plusnet seem to be giving CGNAT more emphasis in their strategy than IPv6. CGNAT has all kinds of problems, and ultimately results in a second class internet connection, where lots of things start to become unusable. Software which relies on peer to peer communication, such as remote desktop support software, VoIP, communication tools, etc, either stop working, or have to operate through a central service, giving service degradation.
My business is hosted in Google's infrastructure, and I'm seeing increased numbers of connections through IPv6. I use IPv6 heavily at the office, and due to the very restricted nature of Plusnet's IPv6 trial, I'm forced to route all of my own IPv6 traffic though a hurricane electric tunnel.
Of course, I don't personally NEED IPv6 right now. Nobody does, yet everybody does. Unless carriers start offering it, it is not going to be a viable option until long after we have such problems with IPv4 that CGNAT becomes a necessity.
I have found an ISP which will give me a dual-stack line. I wish that it was Plusnet, because I really like Plusnet. However, Plusnet won't even tell us when it will happen. This year? next year? by 2020?
So, sadly, I'm going to be moving to an ISP which is putting IPv6 as a higher priority than CGNAT. Not because I need it, but because I think it's so important that ISPs are on board with this now.
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Roadmap for IPV6

I am equally frustrated by the delay !  Angry
Of course all the people with their heads buried in the sand will say "but there is no demand" or "there isn't much IPv6 content yet",  which is just uninformed opinion.
I've been running a Hurricane Electric IPv6 tunnel for about two years,  and as an average home user and family,  our monthly traffic (over the past year) is always somewhere between 77% and 86% using IPv6, with the small remainder being IPv4.
Come on Plusnet we need native IPv6 NOW - as it is ludicrous having more than >80% of all our broadband usage running over a 4in6 tunnel when the same traffic could be handled with native IPv6 with lower latency.
Crazy
PLan
Grafter

It is indeed surprising how much IPv6 gets used, just checked my router traffic stats and I'm on target to use 30GB of IPv6 traffic this month(about 10% of my total usage) - and that's without making any effort to select it whatsoever.
chrcoluk
Grafter

unless it gets regulated isp's sadly will wait till the latest moment possible, effectively either if ipv4 starts to break (e.g. if youtube goes ipv6 only) or they will wait for a disaster like running ou ttheir own ipv4 supply.
Since been on the trial I do now respect adding ipv6 to someone's connection can cause issues, so I can understand why isps's dont want to rush into it.  MTU issues affect ipv6 worse than ipv4, and I have occasionally come across broken ipv6 sites and since browsers and OS's have ipv6 as preference those sites then dont load.
On a private mailing list I am on, someone who works for google claimed google almost made some of their content ipv6 only to push the technology during 2014 but after meetings with large isp's were persuaded to back down.
chrcoluk
Grafter

Quote from: PLan
It is indeed surprising how much IPv6 gets used, just checked my router traffic stats and I'm on target to use 30GB of IPv6 traffic this month(about 10% of my total usage) - and that's without making any effort to select it whatsoever.

you use youtube alot?
many of google's stuff will use ipv6, and yahoo and microsoft also use it, although not as heavily as google.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: martinjlong1978
Infuriatingly Plusnet seem to be giving CGNAT more emphasis in their strategy than IPv6

Reference?  PN have run a brief trial of CGNAT and an extended trial of IPv6.  As far as I'm aware results from both trials have not been published and there hasn't been a publicly announced strategy?
Anonymous
Not applicable

If there is anything that Plusnet should be trialling right now, it should be NAT64 !
As usual AAISP have already done it - NAT64 gateway  Cool

The other thing Plusnet need to sort out is their existing IPv4 peering links,  as it seems odd that I have native IPv4, and tunnelled IPv6,  yet doing speed tests and observing real world usage,  my IPv6 connection with it's associated overheads is often faster than native IPv4.

Crazy
chrcoluk
Grafter

I also forgot to mention that vendor support for ipv6 is not stable.  ASUS seem to have removed the mechanism that links ppp MTU to ipv6 RA announces, ironically tomatousb support for ipv6 is much better than it was half a year ago but they have the same broken mechanism, but on tomato I have worked around it, however the tomatousb dev has not even responded to my bug report yet.
I havent tested ipv6 on netgear/dlink/billion/speedtouch.
PLan
Grafter

Quote from: chrcoluk
Quote from: PLan

you use youtube alot?
many of google's stuff will use ipv6, and yahoo and microsoft also use it, although not as heavily as google.

I haven't broken down the usage but I suspect it might well be due to something like that.
Andrue
Pro

Quote from: purleigh
If there is anything that Plusnet should be trialling right now, it should be NAT64 !
As usual AAISP have already done it - NAT64 gateway   8
So has IDNet, I had IPv6 when I was with them.
I will say though that back in 2013 I went through four routers before I found one that supported dual-stack IPv6 and was stable (A Billion 6300). A TP-Link I tried claimed to be IPv6 ready but what they actually meant was that it ran one or the other but wasn't dual stack.  Roll_eyes
PLan
Grafter

Are IDNet basically reselling Entanet?
Andrue
Pro

http://www.idnet.net/about/about.php
"Established in 1996, IDNet is a leading technology-driven Internet Services & Communications Provider (ISP/CP), delivering high performance data & telecoms solutions for a multitude of businesses, blue-chip corporations and government agencies throughout the UK.
Built to military standards and reaching over 20 million premises via 5565 exchanges, our network is independently rated as one of the fastest, most resilient, and best supported networks in the UK. Our core global Internet connectivity is presented in London at LINX & LONAP, in Frankfurt at DE-CIX, in Amsterdam at AMS-IX, and in Stockholm at NETNOD, where we have multiple transit and peering connections with over 700 global networks."
adie:quote
MrToast
Grafter

I also forgot to mention that vendor support for ipv6 is not stable.

Depends on the vendor.
Billion and AVM (Frizbox) are two that I know of that have been fully supporting IPv6 with stable product for a while.
chrcoluk
Grafter

my comment is across all vendors.
its hit and miss.
MrToast
Grafter

my comment is across all vendors.
its hit and miss.

Its a miss characterisation to suggest its a matter of chance.
There is stable product in the market and you can look at the record of CPE supplied by ISPs with a dual stack (IPv4/IPv6) service as standard production. Check out this supported <a href="http://www.internode.on.net/residential/adsl_broadband/hardware/">hardware guide</a> from Internode.
(I'm an Internode customer in Aus and a PN customer in UK)
In the USA Comcast must be doing something reliable to be able to roll IPv6 out to millions.
How the TG582 as supplied by PN will go we will see. However, since its not new I'm sure it will be in service somewhere at volume with IPv6 configuration. What are ISPs in Belgium, France, Norway and Germany issuing? There is decent IPv6 penetration in those countries.