Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 Trial Tests and Feedback

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: IPv6 Trial Tests and Feedback

You should probably redirect this dialogue over to your other thread... You'll be taking over the whole forum soon!  Wink
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Hairy McBiker - your speed profile looks OK, same on the test account as your own account.
To everyone else, I've still got some accounts from the 2nd batch to give out, haven't finished, just haven't had enough time. Will try and get some out tomorrow or Friday.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Thanks back to nearly normal now.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I've added https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4or6/ to Firefox which shows whether the current page was accessed using IPv4 or IPv6. The number of pages that I visit that are accessed using IPv6 is pretty disappointing!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Thanks for posting the link Jelv.
I guess a lot of sites are still IPv4 only.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I still cannot get to facebook with ipv6 enabled in FF.
Using 4or6 I have it switched to ip4 but it still fails. MSE and nzbs.org work with this work arround.
gladman
Grafter

My trial login and password give me a connection but the test pages all report that my connection as IPv4 with a connection that is not IPv6 capable. 
This is almost certainly my fault as I am completely new to this, which means that I am probably not setting things up properly on my router.
On the router (WNDR4700) IPv6 configuration page I am offered a connection type input, which I assume is PPPoE,  login, password and service name (which I assume is not needed) then address assignment, either 'auto' or 'use DHCP' and, finally, IPv6 filtering as 'secured' or 'open'.
I have tried a number of different options but none give me an IPv6 capable connection (I have rebooted the router as well).
I would be most grateful for any advice that you can offer on router IPv6 settings or on what I might be doing wrong.
    Brian

pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Silly question ,have you enabled IPv6 on your PC and has it got an address?
gladman
Grafter

Thanks for your quick response.  Not a silly question at all since I am completely new to this and will almost certainly be making some silly mistake.
But at least, not this mistake  Smiley  - IPv6 is enabled on my PC.
But the Router is not showing a WAN IPv6 address, only an IPv4 one.  
I am wondering if this router only connects to IPv6 if IPv4 is not available but I can't see any way of setting a connection type priority right now.
Update:  if I allow the router to 'auto detect. for an IPv6 connection, it allocates a connection type of "6 to 4 tunnel" and shows a WAN IPv6 address.  But the first test site http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ipv6/ says that I am connecting using IPv4 with the following test results:
Test with IPv4 DNS record
ok (0.359s) using ipv4
Test with IPv6 DNS record
ok (0.422s) using ipv6 6to4
Test if your ISP's DNS server uses IPv6
bad (0.250s)
Test with Dual Stack DNS record
ok (0.312s) using ipv4
Test IPv4 without DNS
ok (0.297s) using ipv4
Test IPv6 without DNS
ok (0.063s)
Test IPv6 large packet
ok (0.250s) using ipv6 6to4
What I have appears to be an IPv6 tunnel running over IPv4, not a native IPv6 service.
Can I ask if this is what is expected? 
My apologies for being so new to all of this.
  Brian
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I've just tried using various website testers such as www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com on www.loopsofzen.co.uk * - I haven't found one that works yet!
The best was http://isitdown.co.uk/ which crashed!
Edit: I tried this because of http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,121564.0.html
Found one that works: http://www.websitedown.info/loopsofzen.co.uk
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Quote from: purleigh
Quote from: AndyH
When there is a move over to IPv6, end user routers are going to have to be far more simplified to setup IPv6 for the majority. Looking at some of the threads on here, it is a real battle with some routers at the moment and even the technically minded are struggling!

Isn't that the real purpose of this trial ? (rather than testing Plusnet's infrastructure)
The chosen trialists with their differing hardware will figure out how to get their particular setup working, and where it wasn't straight forward they will post step by step instructions here for others to follow.  This will act as a user generated library on the subject - so Plusnet support can continue to refer customers to this Forum rather than providing technical help on router configuration.

All well and good but some basic pointers from Plusnet would of been nice. Rather than the here's your login, get on with and post if you have any problems/questions approach.
Having been issued a trial login this morning, and failing to get v6 working, I've already wasted several hours reading the various threads on here and googling to get some pointers all to no avail, and am so thoroughly [Censored] off right now I've half a mind to tell them to stick the trial!
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

DaveyH, post a thread here in the IPv6 section with what router you have and what problems you have encountered. Someone here may be able to point you in the right direction.
That's RPM to you!!
jelv
Seasoned Hero

One point of the trial will be to find out what problems people encounter and either solve the problem or write help guidance on what the user needs to do ready for when it goes live.
If you are not prepared to accept some extra effort may be needed on your part you shouldn't put yourself forward.
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Quote from: jelv

If you are not prepared to accept some extra effort may be needed on your part you shouldn't put yourself forward.

I am, that's why I've spent several hours this afternoon reading up and trying different things to get ipv6 up and running.
But a little bit more than just username and PW from plusnet would of been nice, an example of a working configuration as a starting point so I'm not fumbling around in the dark.

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

As Jelv says, start a new thread with your router details and you might be able to suss something out with other members or other sources of reference. PN can't post a sample config because not only are we all using a variety of routers but are they are likely learning the ropes themselves!