Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 Trial Tests and Feedback

PLan
Grafter

Re: IPv6 Trial Tests and Feedback

Quote from: jelv
If you are not prepared to accept some extra effort may be needed on your part you shouldn't put yourself forward.

Plusnet applied selection criteria to get exactly who they wanted, the blame lies with them.  Roll_eyes
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

DaveyH: Sorry it's frustrating, but we don't know specifically how to config all of these routers 😕
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
chrcoluk
Grafter

Quote from: DaveyH
Quote from: jelv

If you are not prepared to accept some extra effort may be needed on your part you shouldn't put yourself forward.

I am, that's why I've spent several hours this afternoon reading up and trying different things to get ipv6 up and running.
But a little bit more than just username and PW from plusnet would of been nice, an example of a working configuration as a starting point so I'm not fumbling around in the dark.

A trial is a trial.  This sort of thing you have to expect.
I will be doing a guide for my router which is tomato firmware based, that might help others on other routers, however my migration date is it seems not until 31 dec and I wont get my ipv6 account until after that date.
Ipv6 does have its own form of dhcp but not all routers will support it.
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Just to be clear, i'm not expecting PN to provide working configs or even know how to config every router, given how much they can vary that would be ridiculous.
But unlike ipv4 where all you really have to do nowadays in many cases is enter your login details and away you go, ipv6 clearly isn't, with even experienced people struggling to get up and running
Just some working examples to give an idea/starting point to work from
As an example of what i mean, i've been a satellite 'hobbyist' for years, and run Linux boxes and due to there nature i.e being highly customisable, you can end up with some unique problems, however i have found when i've run into problems , that while a problem might be particular to my setup, often i can adapt solutions others have come up with for similar problems into workarounds for my own use case.
Anyway apologies to all for yesterdays rant,
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

I can post my working config, but as it is for a Thomson router it is difficult to see how it is going to help you at all.  Undecided
brueton
Grafter

Quote from: MJN
I can post my working config, ...... it is difficult to see how it is going to help you at all.

Agreed.
The easiest to get working is a TG582n running 10.2.0.B firmware. I had to change the username & password to the ones supplied for the trial.
A Billion 7800N running 1.06h needed a little more doing via the GUI. For other hardware / firmware configuration via the command line may be required,
I expect that all routers that are meant to be IPv6 capable will vary in how to set them up. Some will be impossible to get working at all and others will be as easy as my TG582n.
The version of firmware you a running may also make a difference.
I have found that the routers's command line can provide a lot more information and configuration options than the GUI. Sadly command sets appear to vary.
Wireshark running on a client will let you see any IPv6 traffic between it and the router.
There is a Router Advertisement test command (radvdump) for Linux that will let you see if an radvd daemon is running on the router.
andybailey
Dabbler

Plus.net,
Just wondering if there are any updates on the IPv6 trial?
Doesn't seem to have been much activity here for a bit........
What are the next steps?
What are/ are there any rollout plans?
Thanks,

Andy.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I suspect the lack of updates is because of a lack of issues. For me, once I'd figured out configuring the router it just works!
Like you I'd find the plans going forward of interest.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
avatastic
Grafter

I'd rather know what is keeping them from going forward.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
AndyH
Grafter

I would imagine there needs to be a significant amount of work on the network and staff training before they can roll out IPv6 to all users. Also, 99% of users are going to find it very difficult to configure their routers for IPv6. 
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'd imagine the next priorities are getting a release of the routers where IPv6 works out of the box with no user configuration required and working out if the can push an update via TR069 to existing users.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Like Jelv, I've not had any issues since the initial router set up, and not really noticed that I'm using it. I've checked a few times that I am actually using IPv6 on to make sure something hasn't gone wrong and I'm just using IPv4.  I would be interesting to see (if Plusnet can get the info out of the systems), how much IPv6 traffic is being used by the test accounts vs the total amount used by them.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

andybailey
Dabbler

Hi guys,
Yes, good points from you all.
However, as a relatively tech savy user with a collection of IPv6 equipment and my IPv6 ready router I'm keen to take a look.
It would just be nice to know when that will be possible, either as part of the trial or as part of a standard deployment. I certainly don't want to wait for a "standard" router that in all likelihood I'll put on the shelf with the other ones I've collected over the years.
Hopefully there will be options discussed and made available.
From your experiences so far it would seem that in most cases IPv6 could simply be enabled for all- if the router is not set up then IPv6 simply wont be used......
Looking forward to hearing more details!

Andy.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I'm still having issues with IPv6.
My android tablets will not download from play store (Amazon & onemobile are fine), my desktop fails on updates to some of Ubuntu's servers - although my LMDE install is fine (no Ubuntu servers on it). Web pages fail to load (FB & MSE).
The only way to fix the android is to disable IPV6 on it, same with the Ubuntu issue.
chrcoluk
Grafter

my android phones are ok but I think they using ipv4, I need to find a way to check if they actually using ipv6.  But they do work fine with my current configuration.
In terms of going forward, I dont think its necessarily a deal breaker on routers as by default routers will connect with ipv4 only, all the routers I have looked at that support ipv6 have it turned off by defaul, meaning connectivity would not break.