Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 Trial Tests and Feedback

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: IPv6 Trial Tests and Feedback

Now that I have ipv6 working, I find that the youtube embedded video's from Samba mobile are NO LONGER playing.
They were fine yesterday (ipv4) but today I just get a spinning wheel.
Not all though but a lot of them.
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: SimonHobson
I'd find it hard to imagine any manufacturer would default to anything but "block inbound traffic".

That is an understandable position to take, and infinitely better than a default 'allow all unsolicited traffic' but I believe there is scope for something more balanced as I touched on in this post in the IPv6 Security thread. I won't copy it here otherwise it'll derail the original topic of this thread but it essentially adopts a 'allow all unsolicited traffic except that known to be a potential threat'. Do come on over to that thread though as it'd be good to chew the fat further!
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

@ Hairy, Samba videos seem to be working OK here (Just checked via Teamviewer from work - though work is IPv4 only the laptop at home should be using IPv6 for internet) - checked Waitrose and Tesco ads
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Tesco ad works but the tt one doesn't.
I have another issue, my speed has HALVED!

Previously
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3033164064
paulmh5
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: Hairy
I have another issue, my speed has HALVED!

Hi
These are test accounts so will likely have the wrong speed profile attached.  I think that may have been mentioned in the initial trial post.  If you PM Dave I'm sure he can alter it for you.
Plusnet Staff - Lead Network Design/Delivery Engineer
w23
Pro

Try http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html, mine gives pretty much a normal speed (possibly slightly reduced upstream).
You can check the PN profile by logging into the member centre with the test credentials. [EDIT] I do hope it's OK to mention this.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Quote from: paulmh5
These are test accounts so will likely have the wrong speed profile attached.  I think that may have been mentioned in the initial trial post.  If you PM Dave I'm sure he can alter it for you.

Nope not mentioned on any of the current test threads.
I also can't get to some sites.
e.g forums.moneysavingexpert.com & facebook  Cheesy
Also my updates are failing
E.g.
Err http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ saucy-security/main libqt4-test i386 4:4.8.4+dfsg-0ubuntu18.1
 Connection failed [IP: 2001:67c:1360:8c01::22 80]

I also note that some icons/jpegs are not showing. Eg the cat pic on MJN's tag line.
MJN
Pro

Quote from: Hairy
I also note that some icons/jpegs are not showing. Eg the cat pic on MJN's tag line.

Whoa... This is serious.  Wink
That image is hosted on a dual stack server thus even without IPv6 you should be able to view it over IPv4. I wonder if a previous connection failure (over IPv6) has been cached by the browser and thus it isn't 'wasting' effort trying to refetch...?
Does a brower refresh help or, better still, can you view the image (and admittedly more importantly the other sites you mentioned) with a different browser?
Out of interest, what address do you get when visiting www.newtonnet.co.uk/whatismyip ? This will indicate which protocol your browser if preferring (for my site at least). Visting ipv4.newtonnet.co.uk/whatismyip and ipv6.newtonnet.co.uk/whatismyip will force the respective protocol, with no opportunity to use the other.
chrcoluk
Grafter

w23 if you willing to pass on your login I will accept gratefully.
w23
Pro

As mentioned, I might 'donate' it at the end of the week but it would be passed back to PN to allocate to the 'next lucky winner'.  Cheesy
I'll be trying to break IPv6 until Friday at least.  Wink
Call me 'w23'
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Quote from: MJN
Does a brower refresh help or, better still, can you view the image (and admittedly more importantly the other sites you mentioned) with a different browser?
Out of interest, what address do you get when visiting www.newtonnet.co.uk/whatismyip ? This will indicate which protocol your browser if preferring (for my site at least).

A refresh does nothing different. Chromium does the same to the ads on Samba,no access to the other sites there either. Your whatsmyip displays the ipv6 ip and the ipv4 one displays the ip4 address.
Killing my ipv6 stack allows me to access the moneysavingexpert site but not fb. (by adding net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1 to the sysctl.conf)
MJN
Pro

Something very odd going on there as you've clearly got both IPv4 and IPv6 transports available.
Do you have another client you can experiment with to see if the issues persist?
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Disabling ipv6 in FF but enabling on the network allows me to access MSE, FB and shows your cat. So something in FF? But if so why does Chromium do the same?
I have my lt running 24/7 or another I can test with both running LMDE
MJN
Pro

It would be worth running a packet tracer (Wireshark or similar) and see exactly what happens when you visit one of those sites (and upload the PCAP file if you like). To keep the traffic down you could try downloading the cat image by itself.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

OK verry strange on the lt now. ipv6 was disabled in FF enabled it and restarted FF.
Your ip test shows the ipv6 address, your cat shows, FB still down, MSE up.
This is via wifi the pc is hard wired.
EDIT can't connect to the test sites on the lt either, apart from http://v6.testmyipv6.com/