cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

582n router trial initial thoughts

David_W
Rising Star

Re: 582n router trial initial thoughts

Ideally you won't be using the Billion at all, that way we can leave feedback on the router as a whole, asking for a Technicolor modem to trial and then not using it kind of defeats the purpose of asking for the router doesn't it?  Undecided
-edit: had a weird issue just now with the router, a DNS problem (IPV4) the first hop being way high after having trouble finding bbc.co.uk:
C:\Users\David>tracert -4 www.thinkbroadband.com
Tracing route to www.thinkbroadband.com [80.249.99.130]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
  1  152 ms  199 ms  199 ms  dsldevice.lan [192.168.1.254]
^C
C:\Users\David>tracert -6 www.thinkbroadband.com
Tracing route to www.thinkbroadband.com [2a02:68:1::4]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
  1    3 ms    3 ms    3 ms  ~:~:~:f00:a76:ffff:feb5:67be

First hop (the router) shouldn't be that high should it?
DougMa
Grafter

My initial thoughts:

• Boxed router was small enough to fit through the letter box.  That's great for those of us who always miss delivery attempts!

• Set-up was simple enough, worked first-time (would be nice if the RA-advertisements was disabled by default, allowing configuration with nothing other than username+password)

• Hopefully this router supports TR-069 to simplify installation for new customers (and keep support costs low!)

• I've remained sync'd at 2.7Mbps since installation (4 days), compared to 1.8Mbps on my own router

• The wifi doesn't provide the throughput of my existing router, but covers the relatively large house (thin walls!) and is perfectly acceptable for a budget router

• The wifi began rejecting associations (WPA/WPA2-PSK), I disabled autochannel and it began working.  Suspect the process had hung, and changing the config simply caused the process to be restarted

battletux
Dabbler

Thanks to Ben I've flashed the plus net firmware for the 582n onto my own device and all is running perfectly after a reboot of the router an my PC.
Like some others here I had an issue with the ipv6 DNS not working by a reboot of the PC solved that (however flushing the DNS may have also worked and been quicker).
Interestingly these 582n's have internal connectors on 2 of the 4 antenna points for adding pigtails, so I may add a couple of external aerials to mine to see if it improve the wireless signal, as this is my only complaint so far with the router.
WelshPaul
Grafter

Well i have been rather impressed with this router, only a few configuration quirks in the firmware so far. Even got it working with a mobile dongle and it's rock solid!
Did have the wifi go wonky donkey on me once, but it works very well, all round good little router.
EDIT: Forgot to add i have returned the router back to stock as received so nothing i have changed will effect any trial results. Had i not posted this reply nobody would be none the wiser! Wink
battletux
Dabbler

What 3g dongle did you use? I am going to try mine to see if they work, would be great as a back up should my connection ever drop, and which it has yet to do with plusnet.
dick:quote
WelshPaul
Grafter

I used a ZTE 637 dongle, however the mobile broadband is disabled on the router as standard by isp's and you need to modify the routers config file in the firmware to enable it.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Feedback surveys went out by email today, to your account's registered email address, please check your spam folders if you can't see it and drop me a line if you need it sent to another email address Smiley
WelshPaul
Grafter

You have mail Ben.  Tongue