cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to Keep Existing Phone Number

mutleythegooner

Trying to Keep Existing Phone Number

Hello,

I have been trying to move from Talktalk to Plusnet for Broadband & Phone but I keep getting told I will have to change my phone number. 

I thought Ofcom insisted that providers must allow the number to be transferred if you are staying in the same residence?

I am staying in the same house.  The phone number was originally provided by Sky at this house and then tranferred to Talktalk.

Is there a reason I am unaware of that means I can't transfer my number?  It will be a deal breaker if I can't keep the same number, far too much hassle in too many places to change it!

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

6 REPLIES 6
CJT-80
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Trying to Keep Existing Phone Number

@mutleythegooner 

Who has told you that you have to change your landline number?  TT or PlusNet?

Kind Regards,

CJT
LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi there @mutleythegooner,

Thanks for getting in touch.

There should not be an issue with the transfer of your number if you are still in the same address provided there have been no changes in the BT exchange you connect to. If the BT exchange routing has changed in your area since the number was transferred from Sky then it may not be possible. You should also check with Talk Talk that they are willing to allow the number to be transferred with a working line takeover to us.

Thanks - LF

mutleythegooner

Thanks for the replies.  It was a Plusnet agent on chat who advised I couldn't keep my number but she couldn't tell me why.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

You should also check with Talk Talk that they are willing to allow the number to be transferred with a working line takeover to us.

Like @mutleythegooner  , under OFCOM regulations,  I didn't think they could refuse!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

samb2020

I see other posts in this forum on this same topic, going back at least 18 months or more. 

I was told by a chat advisor on PlusNet today, in July 2020, that I would not be able to keep my existing phone number if I switch to PlusNet.

I did a simple Google search and came up with this:  

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/features-and-news/we-fight-for-your-right-to-port-a-numb...

It is a legal requirement to allow customers to keep their existing phone numbers when they switch, and companies can be fined and customers compensated when this right is denied them. In a letter to the industry posted on the Ofcom site, it is even made clear that attempts to delay or deny phone number porting is also unacceptable. Yet almost 2 years after that letter, a PlusNet chat advisor attempted to deny me the porting of my existing number.

I cannot take up the opportunity to switch to PlusNet as a result of this denial of my rights, and therefore I am restricted in my choice of service provider. 

Why companies would try to deny this right is not clear. It is preventing them getting new business.

samb2020