Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port landline number to VOIP and broadband to EE FTTP

mlamb
Hooked

Port landline number to VOIP and broadband to EE FTTP

Hi,
I have landline and FTTC with Plusnet.
I’d like to keep my phone number and get FTTP.
Ideally I want FTTP with EE.
EE don’t offer a VOIP service.

Can I port my phone number to a VOIP provider and my broadband to EE FTTP?
If so, how do I arrange for this to happen.

Thanks
M
Tags (3)
18 REPLIES 18
Baldrick1
Fixes: 421

Re: Port landline number to VOIP and broadband to EE FTTP

@mlamb 

Why not ask EE?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

mlamb
Hooked

Hi Baldrick1 - ask EE what? As stated, they don’t offer a VOIP service.
I’m not sure why I’d ask EE whether Plusnet can transfer my phone number to a VoIP provider? Perhaps I’m missing something?

Baldrick1

My reading is that you want to transfer your Internet access to the EE FTTP service. Surely the thing to do is complete the transfer to EE taking your phone number with you then set up VOIP?

Why would you want to transfer to VOIP with Plusnet then move ISP? Or are you saying that EE won't allow you to transfer your phone number to a VOIP service and you are trying to circumvent their rules?

Moderator and Customer

mlamb
Hooked

I can’t transfer my phone number to EE. They do not have a product to transfer it to.
Sorry if this wasn’t clear in my original question.

So can I transfer my Plusnet phone number to a VoIP provider, and my Plusnet FTTC to EE FTTP?
My understanding from previous questions is that the first of these transfers to go through would cancel the other service with Plusnet.

I’d be grateful if someone with an answer to this question could reply.
flanzm
Pro
Fixes: 15

I don't really understand why you want to transfer your FTTC to FTTP - they are completely seperate technologies, and there isn't really a migration path as such.

Why don't you transfer your landline number to your chosen VoIP provider - this will cancel your FTTC service, as the phone line will be ceased, and currently with PlusNet you can't have FTTC without a phone number.

Then I would sign up with EE as a new FTTP customer.

If you wanted no downtime you could actually do it in reserve, signup with EE as a new FTTP customer and then when its all working port your number to VoIP which would cancel the FTTC.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@mlamb  You can't transfer your PN Broadband to FTTP, they are delivered a different way.

You just need to get your EE FTTP set up, then by transferring your phone number to a Voip provider you will cease the PN service.

mlamb
Hooked

I want to transfer my Plusnet FTTC to EE FTTP because Plusnet will waive my termination fee for cancelling my FTTC contract early if I move to EE or BT FTTP.
I want to move to EE because I have a mobile contract with them, and they give me a discount on FTTP because of that.

So, can I transfer Plusnet phone number to a VoIP provider, and Plusnet FTTC to EE FTTP?
Baldrick1

@Mustrum 

As @Mustrum  has told you, there’s no such thing as transferring FTTC to a different FTTP supplier . FTTP is a totally different service with a different connection to your home. There’s nothing, apart from the cost, of you running the two side by side. You can then sort out your phone transfer to VOIP and cancel the Plusnet service.

Moderator and Customer

flanzm
Pro

I think you need to talk to Plusnet about this.  You need a written agreement that they won't charge you a cancellation fee when you port your number to VoIP (which as we say will cancel the FTTC service).

There is no technical migration from Plusnet FTTC to EE FTTP.  You are basically leaving PlusNet and signing up with EE.

I think you are conflating how this happens technically, with the commercial situation you are in.

mlamb
Hooked

Plusnet cancellation department informed me that I can terminate my FTTC contract for no cost if I sign up with EE FTTP. They said I can’t do this direct with EE, but I must do it by calling Plusnet and having them initiate the FTTP sign up.

I want to do exactly that.

But, as soon as I do that, I’ll lose my phone number (which I can’t transfer to EE because they have no product to transfer it to).

If I transfer my Plusnet phone number to a VoIP provider, that will cancel my FTTC service, and I won’t be able to sign up with EE FTTP via Plusnet.

I was hoping for an answer from someone who has had a similar issue, or someone at Plusnet.
mlamb
Hooked

@Baldrick1 wrote, “there is nothing apart from the cost”

Thanks. I understand I could take out a separate contract. But the cancellation cost is over £150. So it’s not a solution which works for me.
flanzm
Pro

Sounds like you are a victim of the transfer process. I don't think they have considered keeping the number. It might be worth having a word with @Gandalf he is very good and may be able to sort it for you by doing something clever.

Alternatively I would be tempted to wait until my FTTC contract expires and then just port the number to VoIP.
Baldrick1

@mlamb 

Right, I now understand your issue. It sounds a bit like Catch 22.

Moderator and Customer

Baldrick1

@mlamb 

Are you aware that Plusnet have hinted that they hope to be be offering FTTP later this year? They allow those already on the trial to keep FTTP without the phone service, hopefully this will continue with the 'official' product. It might be worth waiting until then to see what happens.

Moderator and Customer