Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone call knocking off internet

FIXED
bazalfoster
Dabbler

Phone call knocking off internet

We've now received 3 phone calls in the last 2wks on our landline, call display simply says 'CALL'.  When answered the line sounds like an old dial up router.  At the same time our fibre broadband goes offline.  Has anyone had anything similar?

33 REPLIES 33
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Phone call knocking off internet

@bazalfoster It happens. Sounds like the phone side of your circuit has developed a fault. Quickest way to check is via: https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/phone/

John
bazalfoster
Dabbler

Thanks John 👍

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there,

I'm really sorry to see you're having issues with your service.

I've tested your line and the tests are showing what's known as a loop rectified fault, which is generally caused by a short circuit in wiring somewhere. Is your phone handset and router plugged into the master telephone socket or an extension? 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bazalfoster
Dabbler

Hi Gandalf,
The router is plugged into the master and I have just moved the phone to the master too. Unfortunately it still knocks the internet off when there's an incoming call and there's also no dial tone when lifting the handset.
Much appreciated, Alison.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Alison,

Ah do you happen to have another handset that's not part of the same set to try instead? Just to rule things out.

Also what does the master socket look like? Does it have screws on to undo the faceplate or is it held on by clips?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bazalfoster
Dabbler

We don't however I've just rung the hubby and he's going to pop to Costco when he leaves work!

I've also attached a photo of the master socket which was only installed by Openreach a couple of years ago.

Hope this is of some help!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cheers, that's one of the latest sockets. Before you buy a new phone, would you be able to unplug the wires from the master socket as well as any extensions then post back if possible? I can then retest your line and should be able to figure out if the problem's with your equipment or otherwise. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bazalfoster
Dabbler

All unplugged 👍🏻
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Awesome thanks. Line tests are clear now with no issues found.

Bit of trial and error now I think until we get to the problem. 

Could you plug your router back into the master socket but leave your phone unplugged? 

Let me know again and I'll retest your line. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bazalfoster
Dabbler

Router now plugged back in and solid blue light on 👍🏻
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Well it looks like either the router or the cable from the router to the telephone socket has developed a fault, because line tests are showing that loop fault again. Maybe a long shot but do you have a spare of those cables to try instead?

No worries if not as I can arrange to send you a brand new router and cable along with it, if you'd like me to. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bazalfoster
Dabbler

Just had a look at the router to check the cable and noticed that the Hive and Sonos are wired in. Would this affect the results if it was one of this at fault? If so, I have unplugged them now whilst I go check for a cable
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Potentially, I've just tested your line again now and the tests are still showing that fault so looks to rule out your Hive/Sonos. Phew right? Let me know if you manage to find a cable. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bazalfoster
Dabbler

Huge phew!
Brand new, unused cable found (Yes, we are one of those households that keeps everything 'Just in case'!), plugged in and router on solid blue light