cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Dead, Broadband OK

Wayland

Phone Dead, Broadband OK

28 Jun 14 Forum re Phone : Question #87518516
I have been a customer of Plusnet for 6 years and have been very satisfied with the broadband service.  The phone service has also been good and on the two occasions when the landline ceased working (but the broadband was OK) Plusnet responded quickly.  On the last occasion, about two months ago the fault, external as before, was corrected in two days.
My wife and I are in our late 80’s, we are not into mobile phones so we are very dependant on the landline phone.
The present phone line failure (broadband still OK) occurred 5 days ago.  As it is now the weekend this no doubt means there will be no progress until at least 7 days.
3 days after raising a question the support team had not got back to us so I pointed out our situation and asked for high priority to be given to correcting the fault.  As a result we were asked to disconnect all phones etc. and remove the faceplate of a Master Socket.  We do not have such a Socket.  However at 3 pm on the 4th day I informed the Support Team that all phones etc would be disconnected until the following morning to enable tests to be carried out.  Since then we have heard nothing.
Wayland
2 REPLIES 2
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Phone Dead, Broadband OK

The point of removing the faceplate to the master socket (if you have one) and disconnecting all phones is to ensure that the origin of the fault is not internal to your house and therefore something you will be charged for when BT Openreach engineers are called out.  That's fair enough - you might not wish to pay £100 or so for what turned out to be a faulty telephone in your house or some phone extension wiring gone bad.  But it should not be a delay tactic.
BT Openreach are pledged to try to respond within 72 hours so you if necessary you need to badger Plusnet to call them out.  If you have a friendly neighbour, see if you can borrow the use of their telephone for as long as it takes to call Plusnet and get them to run whatever tests they want.  You may face quite a long wait to get through but at least it's a free call.
To ride my own hooby horse for a moment: Plusnet have taken on a lot more customers lately, leaving their technical support team understaffed.  Until this is rectified I believe Plusnet need a means of dealing with 'no service' faults more urgently.  See my feedback here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,128686.msg1118642.html#msg1118642
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Phone Dead, Broadband OK

Hi Wayland,
Sorry to hear that you've had issues with the line going down. After reviewing your account it looks as though you had an update through on the 30th to see if we could arrange a time for the tests to be carried out while you have everything disconnected, as you requested in the previous update.
If you can update the support ticket, we should then be able to progress the matter for you.