cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not my number

maw1964

Not my number

I have had my phone line and broadband up for a few weeks and everything has been fine or so I thought. I don't use my phone line and don't have a phone connected at present. Despite telling people I only have a mobile number i gave my brother the landline number by mistake. He called the number and the call got answered by a local business. After he told me about this I called my landline number and got a very confused gentleman saying its a business number and is not my number.

How can I get this problem solved as I was and am intending to start using my landline soon?

5 REPLIES 5
Smith7
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Not my number

Good afternoon,

Try ringing 17070 from your landline it will give you your correct number 

Calling your mobile will also display the correct number on your mobile screen 

maw1964

I will have to wait until i purchase a phone for the landline

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

@maw1964 wrote:

I have had my phone line and broadband up for a few weeks and everything has been fine or so I thought. I don't use my phone line and don't have a phone connected at present. Despite telling people I only have a mobile number i gave my brother the landline number by mistake. He called the number and the call got answered by a local business. After he told me about this I called my landline number and got a very confused gentleman saying its a business number and is not my number.

How can I get this problem solved as I was and am intending to start using my landline soon?

@maw1964 Sounds like you have a crossed line. Plusnet will have to liaise with BT/OR to remedy this.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Only possibly a crossed line. If the number was not ported it might have been reallocated. I’ve had my line crossed after a major trunk repair - the pub in the next village got my number and I got theirs.

Suggestion - call “your” number again. Tell the gentleman that there is a problem and that HE COULD BE LOSING BUSINESS. Ask him what number he thinks is his. Tell him you will call him back.

If he answers the call then there is a touching / cross connected service. If he does not answer then call him back on “your” number and advise him accordingly. His calls could be going unanswered on your line because you do not have a handset.

Also tell him to dial 17070 and check the number on his line. If there is an issue, it would help if he reported it to his provider as well.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hiya @maw1964,

I'm really sorry you seem to be having an issue with your phone line and for any confusion this is causing.

I have run a test and it is not picking up an external fault, therefore the next action would be to send an engineer.

Before I do this I just want to make sure the number is the one we have on the account.

Please can you private message me the landline number in question?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team