New line installation

dangermouse1983
Grafter

Re: New line installation

hi
just to let plusnet no i see to have 2 date,s for my internet to be ready

by text its 06/05/2010 to complete
and by  tracker  07/05/2010 to complete
got my router  today did not think it be there till the internet was ready.
also
i just pay £18.98 for ADSL Initial Charge
when is my phone line rental &  broadband Subscription due? this is not clear at all?
hoop plusnet can help thanks
Mand
Grafter

The order will complete on the 6th (sometime today). We say the 7th because the order could complete at any time upto midnight.
Your initial charge covers the first months broadband subscription, plus P+P charges. I've activated your Home Phone service (this didn't complete properly for some reason) so you'll be billed for line rental soon.
blamin

I ordered a Plusnet phone and internet package on 15th May for my new house. The phone line was connected (I get a dialling tone) but I can't make calls.
The Plusnet website states that my new phone service will take " 2 to 4 days" Now, nearly THREE WEEKS later. NOTHING HAS HAPPENED.
I phoned customer service and they told me that the provisioning Department will be contacting me in 5 - 7 days to explain things. ANOTHER WEEK?
Understandably, I started to make a fuss and was put through to the provisioning department who started to talk about an engineer making an appointment to install something to my property as it's "cable".  Are they going to install a satellite link? I still have a dialing tone but can't phone.
TWO TO FOUR DAYS on the website.
How long will it be before I get my broadband connection? I need a phone and broadband for my work. Was reassured by the 2-4 days quoted on the Plusnet website as I'd left three weeks. Now I'm stuck.  Am I just unlucky?  Why haven't Plusnet contacted me to keep me informed?
Will they pay for me to rent an office until they  manage to sort out my connection? I hope so.
Mand
Grafter

Thanks for your time on the phone today, as discussed your phone line is now active, and the broadband has been queued.
blamin

Mand, I am so disappointed. You rapidly phoned me after my post to reassure me. You are very good - I actually believed you.
1. You assured me that my phone would be connected very quickly and were emphatic that my broadband had been ordered and that it would be installed by next Tuesday, 8th June. You could guarantee that. The phone line was conected within an hour -after waiting three weeks, trusting Plusnet to get on with it.
2. Since then, I've had an email saying that my broadband could not be installed as there were "incompatible products" on my phone line. That I should contact BT to get it sorted. I'd just bought the house, had no contact at all with BT - ever - and Plusnet was my phone provider. If there were "incompatible products" on the line, then Plusnet must have put them there. I rang customer support and they said that it just wasn't true they don't know why the email was sent. Thank you for that.
3. Then I got a text message today saying that my phone line had just been connected  and that they would now  order my broadband. That is two days after I had an email saying that it had been ordered. Worse, that it will take 5 -7  further days to install.
4. I have had 20+ verbal apologies from Plusnet and no action. All they could suggest is a dial-up connection, admitting that it won't  work for my applications. I have had several admissions that Plusnet was in error, accompanying the apologies.
That is until I was put through to "the supervisor". He's obviously much more highly trained as he made it clear that it was all my fault! Apparently, when asked, I shouldn't have supplied the existing phone number of the property I was buying. (If they'd said that I wouldn't have given it them, but they did ask.)
5. Worse still, as I need broadband for Monday, they have offered to let me pay £117.50 to get broadband installed rapidly. PLUSNET WANT ME TO PAY £117.50 TO SORT OUT THEIR MISTAKES AND MISLEADING COMMUNICATIONS. Unbelievable.
I went with Plusnet because I had heard how good they were. What a joke. (It still says 2-4 days to connect my phone on the website. It took three weeks)
Are there any companies left who will simply say "we've got it wrong, we'll sort it for you." This one won't
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
As discussed, this should be sorted for you now.
blamin

Mand,
NO, NOT SORTED!
The order to expedite this with BT wasn't submitted as you said, on Friday 4th June at 10.37. That was just wishful thinking - or was it keep me quiet?
When I phoned support after waiting ALL DAY patiently on Monday, they informed me that the order hadn't been expedited, that I had  to pay £117.50 to do that. As you can imagine I was really thrilled. I apologise if I was a little upset with with your employee, it wasn't her fault that you hadn't updated my records.
On Tuesday, the poor girl phoned me to let me know that the order had actually gone out on Monday and that she would keep on to BT to get it shifted quickly.
Around mid-day Tuesday she phoned to say that I had Broadband. Hooray!! Cheesy
But I didn't. "Yes you have."  "No I haven't"
Then started the next Plusnet nightmare.
Technical support told me that it was my modem at fault. As it wasn't supported by Plusnet, I had to contact the manufacturer, Netgear, for them to check it out. After half an hour on the phone to them, at god knows what rate, they decided it was my ISP (Plusnet) . Just to be sure, I took the router to a friend's and plugged it in. It worked immediately.
1. When I ordered my internet, your agent said that my Netgear router was fine.  Tuesday I was told it wasn't supported. ???????Huh
2. Your technical support wrongly diagnosed the problem as being the router. Will Plusnet reimburse the cost of the totally unnecessary call to Netgear?
I am just beyond anger now. I cannot believe that any company can function like this one has. I still don't have broadband. I have travelled to my sister's  near Derby as I have to work on-line with children who rely on me for their education. I have to function without records and full teaching materials, but it's better than not  functioning. Can you re-imburse the travel. 600 miles at 15p would, at least cover the petrol.  Much cheaper than my hiring an office or paying a support teacher @£165 per day?
When I ordered, Plusnet told me that my broadband would be connected in 11 days maximum. I left 21 days - to be safe. I'm still not connected.
I have had incorrect information from Pusnet on several occasions and nobody there seems to be able to provide any practical support. All I get is repeated apologies for the cock-ups. I think that the count is now over 110 apologies.
I have discovered about 10 emails from Plusnet. Ironic really as I haven't had internet access to read them. I did ask that I be contacted by phone or text, but....
Still no broadband.
I'll add more to this later
Kind regards
Bill Lamin
I hope that you've had a better week than me.

Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
I'm sorry to hear that support hasn't measured up, again. Sad
I can assure you that the order WAS expedited on Friday, and the order was due to complete on Monday. Unfortunately the order reference wasn't added to the account once we received it, which is where the confusion entered. The order actually completed at 8.38am on the 7th (Monday).
I think the netgear issue is a communication misunderstanding to be honest, our agents would advise that we don't support netgear routers, but this just means they can't help with setting them up etc, not that they won't work on our service.
Once we've got you online I'm happy to talk about some form of credit.
There's a fault raised at the moment to get this sorted for you.
blamin

I just feel shell-shocked and numb.
BT would, I was assured on Wednesday, contact me  within 48 hours concerning the fault.
As I write, Saturday morning, I have heard nothing more from them or from Plusnet. I'm just at the point where I just can't be bothered.
Should I sell my house and buy one that has broadband installed?
Why is everything down to the customer to initiate? Why doesn't Plusnet, the provider, take some responsibility. It seems as though it's my problem to solve.
The router example seems typical. I would have been very surprised if there was a problem with the router and yet I was expected to phone the manufacturer to get it checked out, I was supposed to,  after being "brushed off" by technical support (we don't support your router) get back to them and argue that it wasn't the router but the connection.  I had to convince Plusnet that they weren't supplying broadband to my phone socket. It's a good job that I had a little knowledge and some confidence and could argue my case or we'd be no further on.
Hang on! We are no further on.
If, when I'd signed up, the agent had said that Plusnet wouldn't help with setting up my Netgear router, I would have taken the offer of a free one. I was just trying to be helpful as I had a brand new one from Cornwall County Council.  They just said that the Netgear router was fine.
I still have no idea when the "fault" will be resolved. When can I go home and have the internet?
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: blamin

That is until I was put through to "the supervisor". He's obviously much more highly trained as he made it clear that it was all my fault! Apparently, when asked, I shouldn't have supplied the existing phone number of the property I was buying. (If they'd said that I wouldn't have given it them, but they did ask.)

This may be the underlying problem. I assume that you have not taken over the previous occupier number but be given a new one? If you go to https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed and check the telephone number the account is set up for. Then dial 17070 and you will hear the actual telephone number for the line (if the CLI is withhold dial 147017070) These should be the same.
blamin

I'm sure that it's all clear to you but I don't really understand what you're suggesting.
1. The house had a telephone line. When I first contacted Plusnet,  I gave them that number. I didn't care whether I had that number or any other one. I don't know anything about telephone numbers - I just assumed that the number went with the property.
When I moved in the phone had  a dialing tone when I picked it up but it wouldn't let me dial anything.
2. After Plusnet connected me  (Est 2 -4 days, actual time 18 days) I discovered that I had a different number. That was a surprise to me but wasn't a problem.  (or so I thought.)
3. I am now 300 miles away from my phone. I thought I'd leave it to Plusnet to sort out so I would guess that I can't do all the dialling 17070 bit. I don't know what a CLI is. I know the number of my house as I can dial it.
4. I have asked Plusnet if they've set up the broadband for that same number and they seemed to check and were emphatic that it was that number, not the original "old" phone number. I'd thought of that as a possibility. (Although with my experiences, probably a probability).
I don't know whether I should go home as I need to use broadband to teach on Monday. I don't know if I have to be there to do things to sort the problem. I could be stuck at my sister's (ironically, with a very reliable Plusnet connection) for ever if I have to be in Cornwall to help with a fix.
No one tells me anything. Mushroom syndrome?
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: blamin
I'm sure that it's all clear to you but I don't really understand what you're suggesting.
1. The house had a telephone line. When I first contacted Plusnet,  I gave them that number. I didn't care whether I had that number or any other one. I don't know anything about telephone numbers - I just assumed that the number went with the property.

Assumption is the mother of all ... I have to side with PN that you have to take some/most of the blame for the situation that you find yourself in. Once the ball started rolling with a wrong number and then corrected it's very hard for the Frame Engineer at Openreach to see the complete story. They will be issued with contradicting job instructions and probably issued to two different engineers who will be completely unaware of the other job. This is the problem with automated systems and BT's in particular.
You can still go https://portal.plus.net/m...ction=data_transfer_speed and check that they are supplying broadband to the new number
blamin

I'm sorry but I just don't understand how any of it can be my fault. Plusnet asked me for the postcode and the telephone number of the property that I had just bought. It seemed sensible to give that information to them. If they'd said "but don't give us the phone number, we only asked you for it provide a source of confusion." then I wouldn't have given it them.
If they don't want the phone number, or if it's the wrong number, why did they ask for it?
I only found that the number had changed when, having been told by Plusnet that it was working,  I  tried to dial it from my mobile. I had to phone a friend and ask them what number I'd dialled from to find my own telephone number! Plusnet, my telephone provider, didn't bother to tell me I had a different number to the one that the previous house owner had, never mind telling me what it was.
If the "ball had started rolling with the wrong number", it was Plusnet who bowled it.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
After your conversation with one of our agents this morning an engineer appointment has been booked for Thursday morning. Someone will need to be at the property to allow the engineer access (it doesn't have to be the account holder though).
blamin

More examples of absolutely DREADFUL support from Plusnet. "Cheer up things could be worse". So I cheer up and, sure enough, it gets worse.
]LAST WEDNESDAY PLUSNET CONTACTED BT AND THEN TOLD ME THAT BT WOULD BE CONTACTING ME WITHIN 48 HOURS TO ARRANGE A VISIT.
Apparently BT responded by reporting that there was no fault!
Plusnet didn't bother to tell me. (Again) Doesn't Plusnet have a phone?
This morning, when I PHONED THEM, they decided that they'd better contact BT again and arrange something. Now I'm told that I will be visited Thursday morning by BT. No one seems to know if that'll fix the fault or if it's just a social visit.
THIS WILL BE 2 WEEKS AFTER PLUSNET (Allegedly) PAID BT £100 TO EXPEDITE THIS CONNECTION.  I hope they ask for their money back. I would.
I don't know if I can, but I'll see if I can claim compensation from Plusnet for the failure to provide the service they contracted to supply, for the inconvenience, for the aggravation and for my out of pocket costs. The 11 day  max.projection on my order has now gone beyond 30 days and STILL Plusnet aren't getting anything done. I did successfully sue my solicitor last year and so Plusnet, particularly if they're as disorganised as they seem to be, should be a doddle
I will recommend Plusnet. There are several people I know who seem to cruise through life without any problems. If they can sample the sort of mess that I've experienced, it'll soon wipe that smug smile off their faces.