cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Phone fault same as Broadband

Darren8282
Grafter

Is Phone fault same as Broadband

Just a question. I've got ongoing fault with my new connection, had four engineers so far and still no further forward. Another is booked for Monday. These were reported as broadband faults.

There is noise on the phone etc so I'm wondering do I also need to report a separate fault for the phone for a different type of engineer or do the engineers cover all aspects. I did mention the phone issue in a call but it wasn't put down into a separate fault.

Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Is Phone fault same as Broadband

If I recall correctly, @Darren8282 , the engineer booked for Monday is a 'senior engineer' - if so he should be able to sort both issues - they are different, but may be linked.

John
Darren8282
Grafter

Oh right thanks mate I'll leave it as is for now then. Yeh he is meant to be a senior engineer. I'm gonna ask him to change there drop wire also as was requested previously by the escalation team. I'll make sure he changes it.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

You need to let him sort what needs to be sorted.  Replacing the drop wire might or might not be the right solution.  Given that you have noise on the phone line (broadband will not work well with noise present) all that might be required is to remake a few joints.

I am surprised that the previous BB engineers could not sort out bad joint issues - but some time BB engineers do not want to get in to the basic POTS engineering space!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Darren8282
Grafter

Hi. It was actually the plusnst escalation team who stated he was sure it was the drop down cable/line in he specifically requested the change.

I'm not sure tbh he seemed quite competent and went up pole, fixed what he said was rotted connection and also snipped a black bit of copper off on wire just leaving house. He thought confidently it was fixed, all tests seemed fine, noise on line went. But few hours later it all returned.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

There is every possibility that there are other joints which need attending to.  The problem with bad joints is that they are intermittent faults.  When they are no faulty ... they are not detectable when testing the line.  Besides which, a test done from the property is not the same as a test done from the exchange.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Darren8282
Grafter

Yeh, I'll ask him to test at the exchange as well then. Cheers pal.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

He does not need to explicitly test at the exchange.  Engineers should (they certainly used to) run an automated "exit" test also called an Eclipse test.  I have experienced multiple engineer visits claiming that there was no fault ... whilst the automated test said there was - "must be a faulty test head".

Eventually and engineer attended who check all of the joint on the circuit, after which tests in both directions reported no faults.

Darren8282
Grafter

R right thanks mate appreciate the information so I have it my head ready to mention. It's already went off about 6 times this morning.