cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost of relocating master socket - why so high?

FIXED
myloginname

Cost of relocating master socket - why so high?

Just had to pay £160 to arrange relocating our mastersocket because of building work (After a joyous 32 minutes on hold listening to horrible music interspersed with static!). It seemed like we didn't have much choice in the matter but the cost seems a bit weird.

According to BT openreach it costs £130 to move a mastersocket. But the customer service agent told me there was no point phoning BT because they'd insist I contact our provider.

Also, under the help info on moving house, in order to install a new phone line and move your broad band its costs £49.99 installation, plus £65 to move the broadband = £115. Apparently though I can't 'move house' and stay at the same address.

So i'm just wondering why the fee from PNet is that bit higher, given all this?

5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Cost of relocating master socket - why so high?

Fix

Does the Openreach price include VAT? With a bit of rounding up 130 plus 20% is pretty close to 160.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

azc
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

From the price guide :

For converting hard-wired master sockets (and any other conversion charges) a £160 charge is payable for the first hours work and after this a £65 per hour (or part hour) charge applies.

myloginname

Thanks, it could be plus vat, that would explain it - its a struggle to find out concrete information online and its frustrating when companies aren't transparent, but hey ho.

As for the charge covering the first hours work only - the customer service agent made zero mention of that, just that it would cost £160 to do! I guess technically the master socket isn't being converted (I assume that means to another type of line/service) its just being relocated.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Where did you get the "£130 BT Openreach" price from?

According to the Openreach price list, under Service Product Pricing, 4.1.1 Time Related Charges, the Openreach price for an NTE Shift is £105.60 ex. VAT.

notmyname
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

More to the point, as long as you don't have any extensions wired in.  You could probably do the job yourself for under 

£30.