Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xbox multi player

FIXED
Alexb75
Dabbler

Xbox multi player

Hi everyone, I’m really hoping someone can help! I joined Plusnet about a week ago and having problems connecting to x box live with two XBox 360’s (not too concerned about this) but can connect to live on my XBox one but cannot use multiplayer function. I’ve tried the following:

Port forwarding

Turning off x box and router and restarting

UPnP on

DMZ enable to the XBox 1

The Xbox one won’t let me change the NAT settings either which isn’t helpful

Plusnet offer no assistance even through I have problems with all three Xbox devices and Microsoft refer me back to Plusnet. All xboxes connect to my neighbours WiFi and to a hotspot and worked perfectly well with Sky (wish I’d stayed put).

Does anyone know of any solutions please?
39 REPLIES 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Xbox multi player

Did your Xbox Live multiplayer gaming work properly with your previous ISP ?

If so, I'm wondering if you can reuse your old router ?, but change the login credentials to your Plusnet connection settings.

Alexb75
Dabbler

Hi

Yes worked perfectly ok with Sky my previous ISP, unfortunately the old router won’t work with a different ISP but I did try a third party router, again perfect internet for everything else but not X Box 🤦‍♂️
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you still have the "third party router" ?, and if so what make and model is it ?

Alexb75
Dabbler

I returned it in the end, spoke to the manufacturer at length re. Changing settings etc.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there.

Sorry that you're having issues with your Xbox. Do you get any particular error when you try to load Xbox Live/the multi-player part on your 360, and similarly the multi-player part on the One?

What games do you have issues with loading multi-player, is it just one game or several?

Are you also able to plug the console into the router using an ethernet cable just to narrow down where the issue may lie?

It's also worth checking the broadband firewall on your account isn't affecting this by switching it off from Here (At least temporarily if you don't want to leave it off permanently). 

[edit]

Edited response to add more detail (and questions!)

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Alexb75
Dabbler

Hi and thanks for taking the time to reply!

With my two Xbox 360’s (not too concerned about these) an error message appears when testing the connection ‘blocked’ for access to X Box Live

With the XBOne when testing for multiplayer commention and eating NAT type, ‘cannot get a Teresa address’ appears.

I’ve added all the ports for forwarding, tried this with upnp on and off, tried with the firewall completely off and DMZ for the Xbox One.

In addition, I’ve tried moving the router to different parts of the house etc and using the Ethernet cable. Plusnet did identify an issue with my line yesterday and Openreach have fixed that but no luck even now, even Microsoft are baffled! All three devices affected so clearly not a device issue. I’m at a bit of a dead end now having spent quite some time on this

Thanks again though, appreciated!
Alexb75
Dabbler

And sorry yes the issue is with all games on the Xbox one.

I’ve attached a screenshot photo of the error message that appears when trying to test multiplayer and NAT type. I have flowed all Microsoft’s steps with this
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

I could be heading in the wrong direction, but plusnet do not currently offer Internet Protocol version 6(TCP/IPv6).

Your previous ISP probably did have this.

Might be worth exploring the settings on all 3 xboxes....?

Also, from experience, the PNH1 and xboxes didn't really get on well with one another over wifi. Splitting the wifi does help.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Alex. Cheers for getting back to me and for the detail.

The error you're seeing that the Xbox's can't get a Teredo IP address does suggest it's trying to tunnel through IPv6 which we don't support on our network.

Are there any options in the network settings of the Xbox to change this to IPv4 or anything which may suggest it's using Teredo or IPv6? I'd load up my Xbox One and try to replicate this but mine is struggling to power on at all recently!

So I've googled that error message and I've come across this from here:

Xbox One consoles can encounter issues obtaining a Teredo IP address when network connectivity is blocked or dropped between the console and the Teredo server. Without a Teredo IP address, you can’t use party chat or connect to multiplayer games for some titles on Xbox Live.

Based on that it looks like to play some multiplayer games you need to be able to tunnel through IPv6. Sad

Which games are you trying to connect to in particular, and are there any multiplayer games which do work for you?

Also if you login to your router settings is the WAN IP address the same as you'd get when you go here? Finally do you have a static IP address or dynamic? (I'm not in the office right now so I can't check that bit myself).

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

OK so I've run a few tests and they're not picking up any issues and I can see you've got a dynamic IP address so I've added on a static IP instead for you just to try to narrow things down. Could you let me know how it goes please?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Alexb75
Dabbler

Hi
This seems to be working after the static IP was added. Thanks again with this!
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gandalf - Why did a static address make any difference ? - Are Plusnet quietly using CGNAT on dynamic IPs ?

Alexb75
Dabbler

No idea! It was address earlier today and now seems fine
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm glad that adding a static IP on has sorted this out for you. Thumbs_Up I'm going to investigate further with our networks and products guys because ideally leaving the static IP on isn't a long term solution for this.

Connections with static IPs route a different way across our network through additional equipment known as the BNG's. Unsure of a more definitive answer as to why this has fixed the problem in this case though.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet