cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impressed

paulmcelroy
Dabbler

Impressed

I have just been connected on friday the 30th to PN pro and I must say I am impressed with the low latency I have consistantly got all weekend under 40, unheard of with o2 access my last isp. At last an ISP that understands the needs of a gamer, BF2 and TF2 have not been nthis much fun.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
One gripe is the usage but as long as I keep my patch and demo downloads to after 12 I will be fine. Still very very happy.
30 REPLIES 30
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Impressed

Cool Thats the one, just do your downloading while you sleep. BTW latency 40ms< is that with interleaving on?
Just askin because I'm considering knocking it off.
scootie
Grafter

Quote from: paulmcelroy
At last an ISP that understands the needs of a gamer

been around for some years now Wink
whats the ping actualy to?
curently get 16ms to bbc.co.uk on fast path
paulmcelroy
Dabbler

I am not sure, how do I find out and which is the better for gaming?
@asbodog, The ping is usually just the gaming server (TF2 BF2 or CoD5) I am connected to, I am from northern Ireland so I would probably have a ping a bit higher than customers on mainland UK.
scootie
Grafter

fastpath ( interleaving off) is best for gaming as it offers lower latency. what it does is turn off error checking on your line which takes bout an extra 20-30ms for the equmpment to chop up and reassamble the data to make it  harder for a bust of noise on your line to croupt.
if you post your line stats we can advice if getting interleaving turned off is the way forward to lower your ping some more.
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php this page will help you get those stats and if its the PN supplied router this one will help u http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php#43
if you see any stat that says interleve depth or path ect this will tell you if you on fastpath of interleved. if the intreave depth says 1 that means fastpath
i run fastpath on a 3mb line and get the errors in 24 hour period as below with out any problems
paulmcelroy
Dabbler

ok soooo here are me line stats,
Link Information

Uptime: 2 days, 1:02:15
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,128
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 17.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 9.5 / 15.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 29.0 / 17.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 2
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1

My line attenuation nice and low but what do you guys think of my noise margin, I am not really sure if it is ok. I cannot see if interleaving is on anywhere though I read on support that is on as default and is only off if you request it.
James
Grafter

Your noise margin is fine Smiley
You're on a really good line.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Your right m8 unless you requested it the interleaving will still be on. Sometimes knocking it off can cause really slow download speeds if you have a poor line to start with that may be already getting restricted at the exchange. As your noise margin is quite high and looks like a decent stable line you could knock off interleaving.
In gaming the lower ping is better to the cost of slightly slower dload speeds, if it doesn't work out you can turn it back on within 24hrs.
I havn't kept up with PN's policy but I think there used to be a charge.
scootie
Grafter

theres no charge for turning interleaving on or off.
and am right in thinking that people that dont game and sync really high still use fastpath as it enables them to sync that bit faster and not slower Huh
James
Grafter

No - it's set to auto by default.
Which is kinda off in an on sort of way.
paulmcelroy
Dabbler

Nice to hear my line is good, I am not that far from the exchange. As for fastpath, i dont mind having it on or off as my pings are fantastic I was getting 28 last night on team fortress 2, My last isp was terrible with latency approx 120 every evening and all weekend (im looking at you o2 access). well pleased.
scootie
Grafter

i would give it try as said before its 24 hour thing to have switched on or off and is done by BTw at around 2am and no reboot of router is needed
paulmcelroy
Dabbler

how do I go about getting it switched off Asbo? If I want interleaving back on do I have to get it changed back within 24hrs. time for more TF2 I swear this game should come with a Government health warning. Crazy
Euge
Grafter

Some people have an option in their member centre to turn off interleaving, if you haven't then you can raise a 'ticket' with the plusnet team asking them to turn it off.
A page telling you how to turn Interleaving off, at the bottom of the page.
bobboulby
Grafter

Quote from: paulmcelroy
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,128

I could be wrong here but I thought that a sync rate of 8128 indicates that interleaving is already turned off?
Bob