cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double Double Vision Vision

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Double Double Vision Vision

Just noticed when I am playing racing games like Forza Horizon that after not very long at all I suffer from double vision, this can take ages to go away. It only happens with racing games so far, are my racing days over? Cry
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
16 REPLIES 16
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Double Double Vision Vision

How close to your monitor do you sit?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Steve
Seasoned Pro

About a meter and a half away from It and the room Is lit when I play, it happens after a not so very long session at all. I hear some form of gaming glasses may help?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Forza Horizon is one of the games that makes my eyes hurt more than any other and I play a lot of racing games (seriously, it's an unhealthy amount of time I spend on them).
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I've never heard of any glasses specifically for gaming or for gamers. I wear prescription specs and games usually don't cause any problems apart from Guitar Hero and Rocksmith which can leave me feeling dizzy and make it look like the walls are melting as soon as I look away from the screen!
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I just get It when I have been racing, if I'm casually driving around Its not really a problem, only when I start racing. The double vision is only when I try reading afterwards, everything I read for a good hour or so after playing is double vision.

@Adam Gunner gaming glasses. http://kotaku.com/5123560/gunnar-gaming-glasses-review-why-buy-wi+five
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I think it's because with racing games your eyes are focused on the horizon - even though it's on a flat screen your brain thinks it's in the distance, so your eyes are actually focused past the surface you're looking at rather than on it. That's why when you look at a book afterwards you get the double vision - your eyes are trying to look through it rather than at it.
I get exactly the same, and even worse if I've been looking at one of those stereoscopic 3d image poster things - you know, like these ones: http://www.eyetricks.com/3dstereo4.htm
All4One
Grafter

Get some Gunnars
Steve
Seasoned Pro

All4One Do they help? Is your post from experience with a pair?
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Get your eyes tested and mention seeing double as it changes what tests are done, should be done every 2 years.  If you don't have glasses yet you might now, or you need a better prescription with stronger prisms added to help with the double vision.
Also get your blood pressure checked, if its higher than normal then it can affect your eye sight, especially if your eyes tired/overworked.
Yes both bits of advice from experience.  I had the same 2 years ago and new glasses and seeing my doctor helped considerably.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I recently had issues for a few days when playing Black Ops 2 where I would suffer a little dizziness and head aches but a period of gaming last night was ok.
I did have a gaming break for 3 days so maybe that helped.
I don't wear my glasses when gaming as it's on a 42" TV but maybe I need to visit the opticians Sad
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Some FPS players can also suffer from a unique illness.  If the game has a low fixed FOV setting you can get nauseous/headaches/eye strain, try to get it higher than the 75 most use, 90 plus can help.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
All4One
Grafter

Quote from: Steve_M

Not personally tried them for a long period, but they seemed alright. Used to work for Blizzard and there were a few guys using them but I honestly don't know whether they're just for looks or can help, whether that be just a specific group or anyone using them.
All4One
Grafter

Quote from: All4One
Quote from: Steve_M

Not personally tried them for a long period, but they seemed alright.

I've just ordered a pair, I'll update this sometime.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Hi All4One,
Thank you for revisiting the thread and I look forward to what you have to say about them Smiley