cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bioshock 2

David_W
Rising Star

Bioshock 2

Has anyone managed to play it yet?  I'm currently downloading it over Steam* at 722KB/s so should be finished in a few hours (hopefully before 4pm).  As I ordered it from steam (only £2 more expensive than Play.com!) I got a free copy of the original Bioshock, which would be brilliant if I didn't already own it but can't give it away as a gift.
They also had a special offer on Total War series, Rome/Medieval/Empire for £12, I got Empire for 6 quid, bargain.
*Why the heck does Steam, which is itself DRM, need me to download Starforce etc.. to get Bioshock 2 to play?  One of the reasons I decided to get it from Steam rather than on DVD was because of the DRM infestation that Bioshock comes with.
7 REPLIES 7
Woody3600
Grafter

Re: Bioshock 2

Got it through the post today, il get cracking on it tomorrow and let you know what i think Smiley the first was epic though Cheesy
David_W
Rising Star

It's amazingly good and goodness it can be impossibly difficult at times.  At the start I had 5/5 health/eve so couldn't pick up anymore for a while and everything was dying, so I was all "pfft, this is gunna be easy"... I was so wrong, so many times I'm cursing myself for running out of ammo at the wrong time, and the music is so atmospheric.  It's so much more than the original was and after playing it all day I'm still (hopefully) not very far through!
In context, I got Halo 3 for the 360 yesterday (well, day before yesterday now) and blitzed through it in a day, Bioshock 2, amazing.
I'm getting constantly great framerates too, 1680*1050 with settings on High and it'll settle between 40-60fps (I have v-synch on) and that's with not exactly a powerful system.
Intel Pentium Dual Core E6500
6GB DDR2 RAM
320MB EVGA 8800GTS
Windows 7 X64
I'd still be playing now if sleep wasn't calling me saying "oi, come here and get some sleep" Cheesy 
Downsides are the DRM infestation, it also reinstalled Windows Live thingy, which hooks in with my XBox live gamer tag thing, sorta breaks the immersion when you're at a tense spot and get a message pop up from a friend.
So far I'd have to say it's probably among the best FPS's I've played, the story is great, the visuals are pretty darn good, enemies AI is jaw droppingly funny at times and having a little sister on your shoulder when you set fire to a monster and she says "ohh, marshmallows" or something is just surreal.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I have played it on the xbox. Good game, some difficult parts, the "first" mission when you have to visit the planet to kill the collectors is a pita! Played all the way through and am now replaying as a "bad" player to see what is different.
David_W
Rising Star

That's Mass Effect 2 isn't it?  I've got that too but for the PC, and again it's a massive boost over the original, although the AI is a bit suspect with my team constantly running into my line of sight, not so much fun when I'm happily snipping and Jack runs infront of me and gets shot in the head.  Can't wait for ME3 though!
Woody3600
Grafter

Completed it yesterday, fantastic like the first one. Highly recommended. The online is quite fun too Smiley
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Quote from: dgwebb
That's Mass Effect 2 isn't it? 

Opps! so it is, getting confused in my old age Shocked Wink
David_W
Rising Star

I'm wondering where they will take Bioshock 3 now, there is bound to be a 3rd and maybe more (it's a cash cow!) but Rapture has been done, all the questions there are answered so maybe Bioshock 3 will be out of Rapture.  But if they take it out of rapture all the water effects will vanish, it'll be like having a space game in a dungeon so it'll probably end up being in Rapture again.  Maybe a government agent has to infiltrate it, but then where do the sisters come in to play?
The online is fun but heavily unbalanced.  Having level 9's being able to fight level 1's is really unfair, all they get is a shot gun and a pistol vs machine guns and more powerful spell thingies, or maybe I'm just getting too old for FPS's, it doesn't help that I can't figure out how to show ping so have no idea if I'm playing against people with a ping in the high 500's or the low 50's (fastpath is off).
Mass Effect though, goodness part 3 is shaping up to be amazing, I want to go back through ME on my save+ and finish everything I never managed to on my original save, then use that save+ for ME2 and do everything there so my save+ for ME3 is going to be pretty good, along with having no one die on the last mission.  I have no idea how they are going to work in the story for Shepherd to save everyone from the Reapers, it looks like the entire armada is on the way for a bit of a scrap!