Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No wifi beyond 5 metres from router

FIXED
CHAN
Fixes: 1

Re: No wifi beyond 5 metres from router

Via ethernet cables from an ethernet box. the cables run from that box outside so no cable inside the house. I took pictures to show you but I am not sure it will go through.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 58

@CHAN 

Thanks for the picture.

I see two cables which appear to go outside - is this correct? If so, personally I would have preferred black cable but that's just me. Are the cables terminated in wall sockets or just loose like the ones in the picture?

As you say, not cheap but it does future proof the connections. You can change equipment at either end to your hearts content.

Brian

CHAN
Fixes: 1

You are correct Brian. There are two cables coming out of the box you see in the picture going all the way to the side of the house which terminate at the router-type box (shown one of them on the present attachment). There is no cable inside the house which is what I preferred.

bmc
Hero

@CHAN 

Thanks again.

Looks a neat install of the WiFi Access Piont (WAP). From the lack of a power cable I'm guessing you're using Power over Ethernet (POE) from the ethernet switch.

I nearly always suggest external ethernet cable when people ask about WiFi after getting FTTP. I think you're the first to respond after going down this road.

Brian

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@bmc wrote:

I nearly always suggest external ethernet cable when people ask about WiFi after getting FTTP. I think you're the first to respond after going down this road.

I suspect many people do not wish to have cables clipped to the outside of their house, although I guess sometimes down-pipes and guttering etc. can be used to hide them.

Even though I don't live in a palace, as a last resort I might consider doing that, but I've always preferred to go to greater inconvenience and difficulty to install indoors, which also provides greater security, although I realise that's not always possible in everyone's case.

HPsauce
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Interesting thoughts @RobPN I actually don't mind them at all and after a while you just don't notice, especially if they are appropriately coloured and thoughtfully routed, e.g. down junctions and along joints or between brick courses.

When we moved into our house we had external overhead mains power cables (two both thick and black now just one brown) and a telephone line plus some external telephone extension wiring. And a TV aerial feeding a single outlet.

The phone extension wiring has long gone (cordless phones) and the phone line is now a slightly thicker FTTC drop wire.

BUT I also added external audio (speaker) extension wiring using grey mains cable and we have a Quad LNB satellite dish with two twin-core cables from it to different locations plus a single-core further extension on one of the satellite feeds.

On top of that there's some wiring for outside lighting, though much of that is hidden. And of course some external cables from the rooftop TV and FM aerials, via an amplifier/splitter in the loft.

It's a lot easier going round outside than messing about inside and disturbing decoration, fittings etc. Though oddly I do have a single ethernet cable that runs quite a distance inside the house. However that uses unobtrusive 4-core telephone cable (fine at 100mbps) and partly replaces some old phone wiring that is long redundant so SWMBO has never noticed it!

bmc
Hero

@RobPN 

Each to their own.

The OP made it clear he didn't want visible cabling in the house so external, although not cheao, was the way to go. Personally I would have gone with black cable and ethernet wall sockets. The latter for future flexibility.

Brian

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@bmc 

Agreed, each to their own.

I was simply responding to your apparent frustration that you hadn't had any previous feedback to your frequent suggestion of running cables along outside walls.

Also agree that Ethernet wall plates, IMO preferably flush mounted, are the way to go.

HPsauce
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

I agree with @RobPN and @bmc that flush wall plates are preferred, definitely more "elegant" and that's what almost all my externally-run wiring uses  - except the satellite cabling as I didn't install that!

The obvious issue is that it all takes time and effort and money, especially if you're paying someone to do it. Which is why cable installers these days seem to like drilling straight through and using those "hollow mushroom" devices to tidy up the orifice.

Retro-fitting recessed/flush sockets involves a fair bit of work (I've done loads, largely in breeze block walls) and often dirt and mess, so you can understand why it's often avoided unless part of a new-build installation.