Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No wifi beyond 5 metres from router

FIXED
CHAN
Fixes: 1

No wifi beyond 5 metres from router

I am a new customer but can't access internet with wifi beyond 5 metres from the router. It is a known problem which I had remedied with 3 pods/wifi extenders around the house with previous provider. As plusnet does not provide any extender I had to buy some but they are useless and I can't use wifi when in another room. How can I have a connection? At present I can use my PC only via ethernet. It is ridiculous.
22 REPLIES 22
zpeterk
Grafter

Re: No wifi beyond 5 metres from router

Don’t use extenders use wired access  points with a CAT5e from the router to the access point

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29
CHAN

Hello, Thanks for the reply. I have bought several extenders. https://ultraxtend.gogogadgets.io/v2?cv=8&b=20&funnel=hcvr&region=uk&klarna=1&pub_id=21&transaction_...

If I use wired cables, I will have to make holes in the walls. The walls are near impossible to drill. That was the reason I had bought the extenders. The ones I had from previous provider (SKY) were excellent.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 58

@CHAN 

Have you tried powerline units?

Brian

CHAN

I have unfortunately 2 electric boards: the router is in the "new" extension with new board whilst the rest of the house is with the main board.
redulike
Dabbler

After using the android app 'WiFi Anayzer' android app I decided that there was in my vicinity just too much 5GHz wifi, from neighbours, on every channel .

So I turned off my Hub 2's 5G wifi and now just use 2.4G. At least my devices aren't messing around trying to decide which signal to connect to. Yes it's slower but it suits me for the moment. 

CHAN

Could yougive me some info on this app please?
bmc
Hero

@CHAN 

I'm assuming either your previous ISP wanted their units back or they can't be made to work with the PN router.

While not the cheapest option have you considered getting someone in to run ethernet cable for you - either internally or externally (or both). This would give you a solid starting point where ever the ethernet cable terminates plus is future proof.

Search Adroid Apps for WiFi Analyzers - there are many about. They can tell you the signal strength at any given point in the house and how many networks are using the channel you're on.

Brian

CHAN

SKY wanted their pods back and they would not have worked with plusnet router. I am going to check for someone to install an ethernet cable as you suggest and the app you mention too. Thanks.
bmc
Hero

@CHAN 

An external cable, terminated with ethernet wall sockets, may be the best option to get "upstairs" without going through too many walls. If you go down this route make sure good quality, solid copper core external cable is used.

One cable would allow you to use powerline units within the main house "circuits / fuse box" while any extra cable(s) would allow WiFi Access Points (WAP's) to provide full coverage without any form of extenders.

Brian

CHAN

I have made an appt tomorrow with a company called aerial force (in Dudley West Midlands) to quote us for ethernet cabling. I will make sure I show them your suggestion. Thank you.👍
bmc
Hero

@CHAN 

Hope it goes well. I'm sure the Board would be internested to know how it goes if you go ahead with ethernet cable. I know I would.

Brian

CHAN

Fix

Sorry I took time to respond. I have now a very strong wifi, thanks to Aerial Force in Dudley who installed two router-looking wifi directly connected via ethernet connected to the original plusnet router. I am very pleased as this new system works a treat. I would like to thank you all for the replies and suggestions. It was a bit expensive but if or when I want to change provider, this still will be connectable to the router of the new provider.

bmc
Hero

@CHAN 

Excellent news.

How was the ethernet cable routed?

Brian