cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No phone line connection advertised as attractive?

Bluesplayer
Grafter

No phone line connection advertised as attractive?

I would love to upgrade my broadband AND phone package.  I really want to improve my download and upload speeds (and willing to pay for the improvements), but what is it with the lack of a phone line?  I have posted about this before, when I was looking into the matter.  It was 'voip' this and 'voip' that, but how is that an attractive proposition to any household that currently uses both, has used both for yonks? Voip sounds like a veritable nightmare. 

Virgin offers both fast connection and a means of operating a phone, the normal one I and so many are used to handling (I think).  Isn't Plusnet going to take a right hammering not offering the same?

15 REPLIES 15
Mav
Fixes: 517

Re: No phone line connection advertised as attractive?

Virgin offer their own network whereas the like of PN and others that use the BT infrastructure will lose PSTN lines in the near future (beginning of 2027?).

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 278

Although BT Consumer Division have taken the decision to make the Plusnet brand a 'Broadband only' service, getting the 'normal' phone are 'used to handling' to work with VoIP is not that difficult, and you will have to move to VoIP in the next couple of years anyway, as the PSTN (copper) phone service is being retired.

John
jab1
Legend

@Mav wrote:

Virgin offer their own network whereas the like of PN and others that use the BT infrastructure will lose PSTN lines in the near future (beginning of 2027?).

And that is also a VoIP service.

John
Bluesplayer
Grafter

If these changes are set to arrive, take place, in 2027, shouldn't there be a means of upgrading my speeds in the meantime?  From the service I receive now (Unlimited Fibre inc. Line rental, which works great) , the only upgrade path available to me is the Full Fibre one, with the associated lack of a phone line.  As I say, I am willing to pay a few extra bucks to unleash a bit more performance.  Such an agreement is not possible?

jab1
Legend

Full Fibre does not come with a phone-line, it is delivered over fibre cable which carries only data, not voice.

John
Bluesplayer
Grafter

So, let me get this straight.  I upgrade to Full Fibre.  I then lose my home phone number (not a big deal). I then have to pay for a voip service (with a new home phone number) which will use my existing home phone?  Is there anything else I need to consider?

jab1
Legend

You do not 'lose' your home phone number - it is quarantined for thirty days after your Full Fibre service is installed and working, during which time you can find a VoIP provider and set up an account with them. There is a slight problem though in that most VoIP suppliers are unable (or unwilling) to transfer a 'ceased' number, but Andrews & Arnold - often quoted on here as the best providers do not appear to have that limitation.

I don't know if this will have all the answers you need, but have a read of this: https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/voip-information/

John
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 58

@Bluesplayer 

If you have a good mobile service which you can use for outgoing calls theh A&A cost £15 to port your number and £1.44pm after. You may need to spend a bit of monry on an Analogue Telephone Adapter (ATA) to get your phone to work but I believe there are Apps which do away with the need for your phone entirely.

Note that VOIP doesn't work during power cuts without back up power units in place.

OpenReach have stopped selling copper based services before the shutdown of PSTN by the end of 2025. You can recontract "as is" for the time being but you cannot switch to another ISP on a copper service.

Brian

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

I moved to Voipfone, no transfer costs and £3 something per month. I didn't bother connecting the home phone and use the app which works on my mobile wherever I am. It also doesn't have the problems of not working in a power cut, so long as you have a mobile signal.

knowdice
Rising Star

I have Vodafone over CityFibre with a 150mbs service and phone number chucked in for £24.50 per month (actually I get a discount from that as my mobile is on Vodafone too) 

Just plug your existing phone into the back of their router.

I don't make any outgoing calls on this service as I get a good deal on my mobile.

knowdice
Rising Star

Oops...

Should also say that I took my old landline phone number with me.

But, you need to be careful how you do the transfer as moving a phone number from an existing broadband account will shutdown that broadband account.

As already noted your "old" landline number will stay available for 30 days, just be carefully with the order that you do thinks.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 58

@Bluesplayer 

I answered quickly last night so here's a couple more thoughts.

While it may seem a strange question have you actually confirmed Full Fibre is available to you? I ask because standard broadband is known as "Fibre" and there is a lot of confusion over the terminology.

While moving to an ISP that does both internet and phone (VOIP) is the easiest option (often you can just plug your phone into their router) you lose any PlusNet add ons you have - like PN email addresses if you use them.

Brian

Edit : Do you have any house or care alarms connected to the phone?

Bluesplayer
Grafter

Yes, Full Fibre is available at my address.

It does seem odd that Plusnet will not be offering both internet and phone (VOIP).  It would be so much easier to switch over.  Apart from this, surely it will cost Plusnet customers in the long run?

jab1
Legend

@Bluesplayer The decision for the Plusnet brand not to offer a phone service was made by BT Consumer Division, not Plusnet.

John