cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre to the Premises - FTTP Trial

maneeshks
Dabbler

Re: Fibre to the Premises - FTTP Trial

Had my install today and went without any problems...
Before

After

Thanks,
Maneesh

PetalPower

I too was installed today - a fairly pain-free process on my part, but a bit wet for the BT guys  Smiley
So far I have logged a max of 67Mb/s download (wired) and 32Mb/s (wireless) with an average of 14Mb/s upload which is SO good seeing as my ADSL speed had dropped to 0.9Mb/s yesterday and this morning.  Here's hoping it stays high and glitch-free  Cheesy
Anne
warrickjohn

Hey Dave,
I recently signed up with Plusnet ADSL, I live in Monkston and I am on the Bradwell Abbey exchange in Milton Keynes.  I would be very pleased to join in the FTTP trial. My email address is ***********. Please could you let me know if I could be a candidate?
Thanks
John
[Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Personal information (Email address) removed from public forum but placed on a hidden board for PN staff.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Hi John,
Welcome to Plusnet and welcome to the forum.
I've sent you a trial invite ticket out which you'll be able to see here:
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=questions
If you can reply back by clicking the add comment button and letting us know the answers to the questions at the bottom we'll start things moving for you and get you on the trial.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
warrickjohn

Thanks Dave,
I have just replied to your questions. I'm really looking forward to being part of the trial.  Smiley
dick:quote
bc
Dabbler

Just to give a little feedback on my FTTP,
Installed 10th December (and due to the simplicity of my internal wiring and the external ductwork fishing, it was live by 2pm - including lunch break for the BT man.)
Download is generally of the range 70-95Mb/s
I have only had to restart the router once - which was only because a firmware update demanded it.
It does drop to the fifties some evenings and on Monday evening this week, the web was very sticky. But generally, it is great.
At the moment, I can't use so much bandwidth but I dare say services will change/improve. But being able to download games from Steam at 12Mbits/sec (6G game in half hour or less) is really impressive. Demo games download on the Xbox in a matter of a couple of minutes.
youngsyp
Grafter

Hi all,
Just thought I'd post up after my install that took place yesterday.
It all went without a hitch and the engineers used the existing trunking to install the fibre from the front of the house to the lounge for the ONT box. That makes it look very neat and tidy.
The engineers were really nice chaps who showed me various aspects of the install including splicing the fibre. That was very cool and akin to brain surgery. I really like the way the slicing machine gives a loss value for the splice too. The joint between the street and my house measured a loss of 0.0dB so, it was in all respects perfect.
The all important part is the throughput:

That was the best wired result and it seems the speedtesters can't cope with the line speeds.
Latency to www.bbc.co.uk is at 6ms average now where it was 23ms on ADSL.
To say I'm pleased is an understatement and I want to say a big thanks to Dave for sorting it all out and being patient with me. Thanks Dave.  Smiley
Paul
PetalPower

Hi
I'm puzzled  Huh
Every speed test that I do comes out at between 20 and 60+ Mbps (wired or wireless)  Smiley
BUT whenever I try to use this speed in the afternoon/evening - YouTube, iPlayer - the speed drops to 2Mbps or lower until the witching hour - midnight - when it magically finds its legs and gallops along at a decent rate.
Any answers?
Thanks
Anne
YellaFella
Grafter

Quote from: PetalPower
Hi
I'm puzzled  Huh
Every speed test that I do comes out at between 20 and 60+ Mbps (wired or wireless)  Smiley
BUT whenever I try to use this speed in the afternoon/evening - YouTube, iPlayer - the speed drops to 2Mbps or lower until the witching hour - midnight - when it magically finds its legs and gallops along at a decent rate.
Any answers?
Thanks
Anne

I get the same actually... youtube seems to be dog slow, it seemed to be faster on ADSL! But I get this issue after midnight as well. Not tried iplayer however.
Apple trailers in 1080p however is instant streaming as soon as quicktime loads up which is strange. Why can't this be the case for youtube, especially if we are paying for bandwidth anyway?
thomjo
Dabbler

Hi
I've just moved to Plusnet and need to replace my current router (old Sky supplied kit).  Looking for something that will work with ADSL and fttp (requested trial access yesterday) as well as giving me decent wireless coverage.  Not a techie and would be useful to hear any recommendations or favourites amongst the members or Plusnet team?
Thanks
John
youngsyp
Grafter

Quote from: thomjo
Hi
I've just moved to Plusnet and need to replace my current router (old Sky supplied kit).  Looking for something that will work with ADSL and fttp (requested trial access yesterday) as well as giving me decent wireless coverage.  Not a techie and would be useful to hear any recommendations or favourites amongst the members or Plusnet team?
Thanks
John
Hi John,
Unfortunately, you'll need two completely different pieces of kit for ADSL and VDSL (FTTP). Your ADSL router also houses a modem where as the VDSL router is just that, a router. The modem is a separate box entirely, in this case the Optical Network Termintation (ONT) box.
As a result, the two pieces of kit also require different connectivity. The ADSL router/ modem uses an RJ11 terminated cable between it and the phone socket. The VDSL router uses an RJ45 terminated ethernet cable between it and the ONT box.
If it were me, I'd hold fire on replacing you current router and wait until you're on the FTTP trial and use the supplied router from Plusnet. Your ADSL connection will be superfluous after this.
Paul
keeps54
Grafter

Hi, I've just signed up to switch to Plusnet and would like to join the FTTP trial if possible. I'm also on the Bradwell Abbey exchange and the dslchecker says my line is ready. I suspect I'll have to wait until I'm connetced with Plusnet but I figured it wouldn't hurt to get the request in asap.
Cheers, Paul
mikeyriot
Grafter

Quote from: PetalPower
Hi
I'm puzzled  Huh
Any answers?
Thanks
Anne

Hi, sounds like you are either on plusnet value or extra. Both of these packages are throttled during peak times on specific services, ie youtube and so on. This is why you're seeing speeds around 2Mbps until 12:00am when the restrictions are lifted entirely and you get full line speed.
See here for speed restrictions and the times they occur http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml#valueSpeeds Note that the only commercial package to offer line speed all day accross all services is pro, but you are limited to 20gb per month (10gb p/m on value and 60gb p/m on extra) If you feel you want to change your package, then do so as soon as possible as, after the trial you would be able to retain your current package indefinately, whilst new sign-ups would pay for the more costly fibre packages.
thomjo
Dabbler

Paul - thanks for the response.  Appreciate you taking the time.
John
Rossatron

Hey Dave,
I just signed up with Plusnet leaving an ISP that I was very happy with in order to get on the FTTP trial, I live in Monkston Park and I am on the Bradwell Abbey exchange in Milton Keynes. Please send me an invite to the trial?
Thanks,
Ross